Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Help - Being Re-born :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Being Re-born :)

I've owned F-bodies for 5 years now, (3 different), and have never attempted an autocross. I have been drag racing all the while, and my car is set up to do so. I've just gotten tired of hooking up and breaking something. Aside from that my wife has a 97 Formula with Auto and Stall. We'll make that the drag-car. I am pulling my HAL/QA1's and drag springs off to swap with my wife's stock equipment (decarbon), and will be re-attaching my front sway bar and strut tower brace.

I've relocated my battery, have most of the available bolt-ons for power, Subframes, LCA's, Adj Panhard Rod, Poly Mounts, etc. I have also pulled out about 250 lbs from the vehicle (I pull about 50 more for the track).

I'm excited about my new direction, but do not want to start buying parts without knowing what I want to end up with. I want to use Auto-X to learn the intracacies of how my car handles, and then later get on to a road-race.

I am concerned that my previous plan to get a F14 cam and spray, and will no longer be a good idea as I believe I can't spray at an auto-x event. I would like a power adder, but something a little more friendly on the tires to where I can dial in the power, instead of spinning in a circle. Would a turbo kit be better?

If this was you, what would you buy for suspension, and how would your pursuit of power go? What kind of tire would be good to run on the course, and still get me to work and back on a Friday?

Thanks for the patience,

Clint