Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

First Autocross Event (First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Autocross Event (First Impressions

Well I went to my first Autocross event today. I didn't race, I just watched. I thought it was pretty fun to see all the cars running the course and half way through wished I had registered my car and race it. There was 1 Z28 there and 3 Corvettes. I think they were all ZO6's but one of them may not have been. When I first got there I couldn't figure the course out at all. It looked like a bunch of cones were just randomly strewn about, but after awhile I figured out the method to the mayhem. I didn't really meet anybody because I felt a little out of place and all the other people not racing were spotters or recorders. Overall though, I thought it was fun and plan to race next month. Just thought I would share!
Old 09-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah at first the hardest part will be seeing where the course goes through all the cones, known as "reading the cones." Obviously, if you are taking a long time to read the cones, you are not going fast, or worse, taking out a lot of them or even going off course. So on your first time out, staying on course for each run will be most important, not how fast you can be.

When you visited, you could have signed a waiver, borrowed a helmet, and got rides from various racers. You can sometimes do that even if you are racing, depending on how the run/work order goes. I strongly recomend doing that if possible; that will give you a preview of the course at speed, as well as an idea of how it should feel when doing it right (if you get a ride with a good driver.) The other thing is to walk the course as many times as possible before the event, and try to memorize the layout. But when you race, it will come at you much faster and from a lower angle!

Most off all, don't get discourged if you become disoriented the first day. Reading the cones is a big part of it, and it only comes with seat time. In this type of racing, driver ability is worth far more than perfomance of the car.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I felt weird about asking people I didn't know if I could ride in their cars. I suppose I should have raced the first time I went. Oh well, there is next time. I had to sign a waiver even thought I wasn't racing too.

Something I thought was interesting was that the AWD cars at the event (WRX STI's) were running slower than the Corvettes and other non - AWD cars. I just think it is interesting because I hear alot of people say how American cars can't handle and AWD is great for the "twisties."
Old 09-19-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

It all depends on the car classes and the course setup. Small tight courses are good for the smaller nimble cars while course with longer straights and fast sweepers are great for larger more HP cars like the vettes. tires are also a major factor and will determine the class you run in.
With my upgraded rear axle and brakes, different intake setup and tires, I was stuck into the Street Modified Class, which doesn't bother me since I am not competing, but I end up being the slowest car in the class since I am underpowered.
My first event,
http://www.transamws6.com/video/auto-x-hq.wmv

here is a vid from my third, auto-x event
http://www.transamws6.com/video/Manny_Desantos.wmv

and my 4th event,
http://www.transamws6.com/video/manny-acu4.wmv
Old 09-27-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zepher
Small tight courses are good for the smaller nimble cars while course with longer straights and fast sweepers are great for larger more HP cars like the vettes.
But it's more fun to watch Large High HP cars on Small Tight Courses.

(Click to enlarge)

Ok, so I couldn't find any pics of it on a tight course. The above pictured car is actually the reason I bought my TA. I had been autoXing a 2005 Scion tC, but there was something so appealing about that TA.

I didn't race at the first event I attended either, but I have at least once per month since then. (Until now, thanks to Katrina). Anyway, as Zephyr said, tires are important, very important. Many people will tell you that the two best modifications that can be made to any car are: #1 The Driver and #2 The Tires.

Unfortunately, I don't know what tires to recommend to you as I am currently trying to find out myself. If anyone has any suggestions, please see my post in Wheels and Tires (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/386943-good-autox-wheel-tire-combo.html#post3557281).

Also, don't be afraid to ask people for rides. Most people you will meet at AutoX's are very nice and knowledgeable. You will make many new friends AutoXing. Just keep showing up and soon people will be asking you for rides.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

The tires I use are the Nitto 555RII's and they are awesome for street and track. Only downsides are that they are really stiff and give you a harsh ride and only last about 12K miles and my size costs $177 each.

I am the only F-Body running at the local auto-x events here, wish there were more f-bodys so that I can compare times. Most of the cars are Vettes, Miatas, WRX's, BMW's, and other small cars.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was this autocross at California Speedway?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah keep going to the autocrosses and bring your F-Body. You will provide entertainment for a lot of people. You'll get a lot of compliments from most of the people since a lot of people have less powered cars and aren't used to hearing the roar of the v8.

The Z06 vettes are a dominating solo 2 autocross car. I'd love to have one.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Autocrossing is a blast. I did it for 3 years, then had to take a 3 year break while I modded the house. I just finished this year and plan on autocrossing next seasson.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Looks like fun. Where you at? I'd love to stop by next season.