Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Drifting a turn better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey MIke when did Cadillac get into this, i saw him in ATL this weekend and was awsome, great to hear and see a caddy drift and the LS6 sounded great, he went up against some BMW and a team Toyo drift car and was so much faster then them it was great. Its more then just sliding a car, going in one direction is hard to do at 100mph but to bring it back just as far in the other direction.... yea thats real damn hard. Just want to say good luck and hope to see your car again, it looked good at IRP, so far you GTO and Jr are great and nice to see you guys ou there talking. dado is real cool as well and easy to talk to. thanks again.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The idea of drifting is "controlling the car when it's out of control." There is control to be had when sliding around (of course not as much as if you had traction). Drifting most definitly is a different sport and i think bubba drift has done a good job representing the sport they love VERY well in this thread, especially with the overwhelmingly negative mood in this thread. I personally would love to give it a shot but the price of tires will keep the ss away from it for a while.

William
Old 10-11-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I've autocrossed for the past two years and I've used a tiny bit of drifting for like a half of a second in some instances. When I'm going a decent speed around a sweeper and my car wants to understeer, I'll use the gas to help the car turn slightly. This is by NO MEANS anything close to one of those 5 second drifts, just a slight one to help myself correct my turn a little better.

I'm not even sure this is a good thing to do and that I'm probably going too fast into a turn if I feel the need to do this manuver
Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes that is right, you are going too fast. Remember, slow in fast out.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by will69camaro
The idea of drifting is "controlling the car when it's out of control." There is control to be had when sliding around (of course not as much as if you had traction). Drifting most definitly is a different sport and i think bubba drift has done a good job representing the sport they love VERY well in this thread, especially with the overwhelmingly negative mood in this thread. I personally would love to give it a shot but the price of tires will keep the ss away from it for a while.

William
will, you know damn good and well i can help you with tires.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by A502slo
Hey MIke when did Cadillac get into this, i saw him in ATL this weekend and was awsome, great to hear and see a caddy drift and the LS6 sounded great, he went up against some BMW and a team Toyo drift car and was so much faster then them it was great. Its more then just sliding a car, going in one direction is hard to do at 100mph but to bring it back just as far in the other direction.... yea thats real damn hard. Just want to say good luck and hope to see your car again, it looked good at IRP, so far you GTO and Jr are great and nice to see you guys ou there talking. dado is real cool as well and easy to talk to. thanks again.

i dont know exactly when they got in, but yeah they are pretty cool guys!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:03 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike, i might be contacting you about what we can work out and you can fill me in on when the next practice is. I wouldn't mind going and making a fool of myself if i can afford it.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

holy crap this thread exploded. all i asked was for proof that drifting was slower..lol. interesting thread jack though...
Old 10-13-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

check teh tamscc forum.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by drz
So let me get this straight, it is somehow inappropriate to post about a motorsport in an automotive forum?
I will try to explain this slowly for you, below the address bar on your internet window you will see the LS1tech.com logo, right below that you will see something that looks like this: LS1tech>Racing department>Road racing.

Do you see the last thing there.......ROAD RACING, this forum is for road racing, not drifting, so if you have info to share about drifting put it in the right forum.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Do you see the last thing there.......ROAD RACING, this forum is for road racing, not drifting, so if you have info to share about drifting put it in the right forum.
So complain to the individual who started the topic in this forum, not those who respond to it.

Damn, let this thread die already
Old 10-21-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This thread will not die....it is just drifting away!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know whats really fucken gay? That all you people love MONSTER trucks! Its all show and just jumping over cars etc. Yes there is so much tech in their SUS setups etc, but what is it? Its for show and is fun. So drifting is to control a slide thats out of control its about driver skill. It has nothing to do with racing or the fastest lap time. Now if you talking rally etc them yes drifting is need because of the traction condictions etc.

If your going to bad mouth a motor sport might as well bad mouth all of them, I know some jackass is going to come in a say im gay, and drifting is gay. Those are the people that fail to grasp the concept of things and only know and breath Ls1s and the 1/4. Now im going to Burn some bridges right now, I think NASCAR is pure utter trash. And all about sponsers and going around a circle. I have more RESPECT for TOP FEUL or F1 than Nascar drivers. But that is my opion and just that, Do you see me preaching and putting other people down like the rest of you? No im just saying thats what I think. Yes I know it takes alot of skill but I see it as sponship and advertising gimmick.

Thats me 2 cents. If you want to flame me be my geust, But ill just be ignorant and stay closed minded like some people. You know thats what makes the world and better place.

And im very happy to see FBODYs road racing,auto exing and drifting, Im glad that some people know there is more than out there than the 1/4
Old 11-15-2005, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

The reason why people get mad at drifting is because of: look at the title on this thread saying drifting through a turn is better? People who see drifting and then talking nonsense saying that it's faster to drift through the turn than to drive through it. Just like the original poster of this thread stated. People told him that it's faster to drift through the turn, which is why he asked this question in the first place. I don't like NASCAR either, it's like going to an amusement park and getting on the rides that just go around. Sickening and boring. Give me a rollercoaster anyday like F1 racing.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
The reason why people get mad at drifting is because of: look at the title on this thread saying drifting through a turn is better?
theory has been stated.

People who see drifting and then talking nonsense saying that it's faster to drift through the turn than to drive through it.
really? theres been 2 pro level drivers who compete in drifting in this thread, both state drifting is nowehre near fastest way aroudn a corner. so your theory is disproven. i know v6 camaro owners who say their car is fast, do you see me judging ls1tech based on some idiot that i could connect you to for having the same nameplate on his car? dont judge drifting because some idiot in probably a FWD car told you it was fast before he checked a curb leaving the parking lot trying to drift his FWD car with the ebrake. that is not what drifting is about, and real people who do drift for fun dont act/talk like that.

Just like the original poster of this thread stated. People told him that it's faster to drift through the turn, which is why he asked this question in the first place.
people tell me their v6 camaros are fast. with your mindset should i start flaming everyone on ls1tech for some idiot in a v6 camaro claiming it was fast when in reality it couldnt hang with a bone stock 240sx?

seriously, drop the double standard and read waht the **** you are posting.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

oh yeah, let this thread die.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
theory has been stated.

really? theres been 2 pro level drivers who compete in drifting in this thread, both state drifting is nowehre near fastest way aroudn a corner. so your theory is disproven. i know v6 camaro owners who say their car is fast, do you see me judging ls1tech based on some idiot that i could connect you to for having the same nameplate on his car? dont judge drifting because some idiot in probably a FWD car told you it was fast before he checked a curb leaving the parking lot trying to drift his FWD car with the ebrake. that is not what drifting is about, and real people who do drift for fun dont act/talk like that.

people tell me their v6 camaros are fast. with your mindset should i start flaming everyone on ls1tech for some idiot in a v6 camaro claiming it was fast when in reality it couldnt hang with a bone stock 240sx?

seriously, drop the double standard and read waht the **** you are posting.
You aren't getting me correctly. I said that drifting through a turn isn't faster and you repeated me. The guy who originally posted this thread wanted to know if drifting through a turn was faster than driving through it, he was just asking a question. And I just repeated what the title of the thread was which is drifting through a turn faster? I wasn't saying that drifting was faster.

Read my post again and state where I said that drifting was faster through a turn.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

The original post

Drifting a turn better?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arite guys, please prove my idiot freinds wrong. they seem to think drifting a turn instead of hitting the apex and accelerating out of it is faster. i mena how the **** could it be true.. first off the entirety of the turn they are losing momentum because the tires are spinning, 2 they arent lauching out of the turn... am i missing some magical exception to physics?

Those were the people I was talking about saying that drifting is faster through a turn, not the people who posted in here.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

so your post was just redundancy?

you seemed like you were tying to explain why peopel think drifting is gay, and you seemed to be tryign to say its becuase "drifters say its faster"

there are two liscenced pro drifters in this thread, neither have supported this theory of drifting a turn being faster.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Quick Reply: Drifting a turn better?