Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Road racing LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road dacing LT-1

Im building my Z28 LT-1 for road racing and not staight drag and am taking advice on some different set ups to go with. If you all could drop an idea or two my way about what kind of setups to go with like motor size and mods, suspention, weight reduction maybe, what tranny to use? My car is an a4 auto right now but I think a stick will do better for the track so i was think about a swapin it but I still dont know if any of you do SCCA racing or something like it or have built a road course car please give me some help or ideas to play with. Anyone any ideas are welcome.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on the RR you want to do,these guys have a Texas Branch.

Rules are on the site.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/
Old 10-23-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a '96 Firebird in CMC ...

In CMC, engine has to be bone stock down to the exhaust manifolds and air intake. No headers or FIPK ... and you'll have to run a restirctor plate so that the Mustangs can be competitive ...

Now, while you say "That's bullshit", let me explain that it is a freaking blast to run wheel to wheel with all cars running close to the same lap times. It comes down to one's ability to setup the car, drive it and track position. It's not about the money ....

And with a restrictor plate, the top end power is severly limited so shifting at 5K rpm means that the motor should live forever!

Suspension changes are VERY limited ... primarily bushing material, springs and shocks can be changed. Rear LCAs and PHB can be converted to aftermarket, but the chassis pick up points have to remain in their factory location. The front upper and lower A-Arms have to be factory, but you can change the bushing material.

Sway bars have to be OEM.

Convert the front brakes to 98 and newer style F-car brakes.

Car has to weigh 3200lbs as it would come off the track ... that is with fuel and driver.

Need to install a 6 point cage and fire extinguisher.

That's the hilites ... details will surface as you begin building the car.

I started this year, running in 20 races, 5 qualifying sessions and 20 practice sessions. I have bought 8 tires. 1 tire was cut from track debris, 4 tires are pretty thin, but still useable and 3 have good tread remaining. I was surprised at the tire wear.

The entry fee is $275 per race weekend, which is for 4 races, 2 qualifying sessions and 1 practice session.

So, the car is not modified to the point of being a money pit. All I've done this year is replace a faulty PCM and change the oil and front brake pads.

The expenses are not unreasonable, with most of the costs being just getting to the events.

This is the sanctioning body ....

www.nasatx.com

We just finished a weekend at Hallett Motor Racing circuit, west of Tulsa and the track is on the '06 schedule again ...

Our last race of the season is November 5/6 just south of Ft. Worth. That is 3 hours from OKC ... come down and hang out, look at the cars, learn how to get your license and join the fun ...

HTH

Quick Reply: Road racing LT1