Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Newbie AutoCross Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006 | 01:11 PM
Teching In

Default Newbie AutoCross Question.

I'm a noob that will participate next weekend and have a couple of questions. Will be using 02 ws6
1) Is the battery secure enough to past tech inspection or do I need addition strap to hold it down.
2) I have a Snell 05 helmet, what else do I need?
3) I think they said no shoe polish for numbering the car, can I use masking tape?
4) Its suppose to rain that day, can I run with the T-Top on. I know this question may depend on the organizers, but in general do most of them allow them to be on
Old 03-17-2006 | 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Well at my autocross in Va my battery was plenty secure. They just dont want it flopping around. We also just have to have a snell helmet. Some people will bring racing shoes and gloves but it is not neccessary. We can use shoe polish but masking tape will work just fine. As for the t-top question I do not know. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell you.
-Brandon
Old 03-19-2006 | 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can run with your t-tops in or out. Based on the general competition rules, you can't use a 5 point harness without the tops on (unless you have a cage)

Your helmet is fine, and the stock battery retainer is fine if the battery isn't loose.
Old 03-22-2006 | 05:51 PM
Teching In

A couple of tips...

walk the track many times and memorize it - got to know where you're going

spinning and sliding is fun but not fast - straighten the wheel as the turn ends and squeeze the gas as you head toward the next turn/slalom, be patient by not punching the throttle

running from corner to corner making hard/sharp turns is not fast - make smooth and rounded transitions

and most of all look ahead as far as possible - this is what wins (or at least lets you improve). The hands follow the eyes and the car follows the hands...per Andy Hollis (a well-known Solo II racer and instructor). This is the difference between fast and slow drivers (who can't figure out why the fast guys are so fast).

Have fun and let us know how you did.

Last edited by SSober; 03-22-2006 at 06:01 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-26-2006 | 06:52 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

Remove your floor mats too, so it doesn't accidentally get wedged under the gas while on course.
Old 04-01-2006 | 03:48 PM
Launching!

Tear the tape off, put it on your shirt, then put it on the car. The lint will make it eaiser to take off.