Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Heads and Cam Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads and Cam Options

Hey guys,

I'm starting the shopping process for h/c for my car. Right now i'm looking at the g5x3 cam with AFR heads. Are there some more affordable equivalents out there? What are they? I want to make sure that the cam is designed for road racing and not drag racing. Below I have listed what I do with my car and what mods I currently have.

I am mainly looking to do road courses/backroad driving/occasional autoX's but it is also my daily driver that gets about 12,000 miles a year on the streets.

Here are my mods:
Engine/Powertrain Mods: Tuning, Ported TB, Flowtech LT Headers, Off-road y-pipe, B&B muffler, SLP Airbox, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch

Suspension Mods: Koni Yellow Adj. Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, Front and Rear Strano Swaybars, Adj. Panhard rod, BMR SFC's, BMR STB

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 06-13-2006, 04:56 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitch,

A few months ago, I was configuring a possible LS1 F-bod roadrace setup.
I called around many places, including LG, and LG says to go ahead and run their 5X series of cams for RR.
As knowledgeable as LG is in the area of RR, I wouldn't run a Comp XER grind (XER lobe is used in the larger G5X series) without the ability to offer substantial valvetrain maintenance to a stout spring (Comp 921, etc.).

If you wish to run a RR cam which will offer longer valvtrain maintenance intervals, look into using a Comp XE grind, ranging from 228 thru 236 in duration, about .57X lift on a 110-112 lsa. Mate it to an AFR 205 (coordinate valve clearance or notch pistons accordingly) and you're set to use a light valvespring like a Comp 918, or look into light dual springs.
Cam Motion also offers a roadrace friendly lobe which would work nicely with a similar sized grind as mentione above.

I was torn between a Cam Motion grind, sized: 226/228 .574/.576 112 +4
And an Comp XE grind: 234/236 .576/.578 110lsa 108 icl (in retrospect, I probably would trim this one down to about 232/234, as the 234/236 was spec'd by Gomer for a weight reduced car).

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks man,

I think the g5 cam that LG has isn't too terribly expensive and I think I would rather stay with that since LG definitely knows whats up with RR.

I was wondering about wether or not there are some more affordable heads out there besides AFR without sacraficing quality. Thats the most expensive piece im getting replaced, and it would be nice if I could save some $$$ by using another brand/ buying it somewhere else besides LG. Any opinions?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFR 205's are all about velocity. Velocity is key for roadrace setups, as velocity provides immediate midrange response.

Budget oriented, you can look at any of the inexpensive true 243 LS6 castings offered by TSP, Patriot or Livernois. The ports on these are hogged out compared to the AFR 205's however. TEA Stage 1 241 heads are also a budget option.

If you're going to run the LG cam with XER lobes, definately invest in Comp 921's and change springs in conservative intervals.

Whatever your choose, coordinate PTV clearance.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would also invest in some rod bolts.

Quick Reply: Heads and Cam Options