Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vortech

Are vortech,ati, paxton ect cars good to run on a road coarse? I didnt know if it would get too hot. Ive never done it before? thanks Todd
Old 03-19-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to be extra careful because I've seen sc cars snap sc belts in road course conditions and go home limping. In fact when I went up to Michigan to Waterford Hills race track there was a nice red supercharged third gen that had some engine problems. I didn't get to talk to the guy but during his last session the engine did not sound right. A few minutes later he came into the parking area and the car left on a flatbed.

I'm not by all means trying to scare you, just pay close attention to all the maintenance stuff before you get there and extra belts will be a definite to have if you are planning to drive home just in case. Check the tensioner make sure the belts are snug and haven't stretched loose a bit. Fresh supercharger oil if it is an ATI unit if it is a vortech change the engine oil the day before. Also use something a bit thicker than Mobil 1 5 or 10w30. As it tends to become quite thin in prolonged high engine temperatures. I use RP 10W40 with great results also add an extra quart as during hard cornering you may starve the engine otherwise. Higher speeds in the straights also mean higher demands on braking. Check your rotors and consider a set of mild race compound pads. Hawks HPS or Carbotech Bobcat would be a minimum. Also good quality Brake fluid is a must. Castrol SRF, AP Racing Super 600 or Motul 600 will do.

As far as the supercharger getting too hot take a couple laps keeping close eye on temperatures. Especially engine and oil since there is additional load on the engine oil with the vortech. Is the after cooler water? If so any way to get the temperature of the water will be helpful. You may find that you need longer cool down time between 20 min. sessions.

I can't think of anything else but that should get you looking in the right direction. Good Luck and above all have fun.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks awesome info.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good comments about the regular mainenance.

I ran a 530rwhp Vortech LT1 at Road ATlanta for 4 hot lapping 30 minutes sessions in one day. I just made sure to keep race gas in it (available at the track) and had it tuned properly - it was fine... and a beast