Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

4 point harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 point harness

im getting mad racing seats and was wondering if i can mount a 4 point harness to the seat bracket mounts? or where should i mount them considering i dont have a roll cage and no harness bar?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

to be 100% honest, you should use your stock seatbelt.

bucket + harness - rollbar = less safe than a stock seat and seatbelt in a rollover.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mounting to the floor is easy. PM me if you need any help. But check this bad boy out....

A harness bar without a rollbar isn't that unsafe. You have 2 belts to distribute the impact. The one thing they aren't safe for is ceiling impact.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

do NOT mount belts to the floor. if you get into an accident it will compress you down and can cause back injuries. they need to be as close to level as possible.

and yes, in a front or rear impact they work fine, but in a rollover without a full rollbar they are less safe than your factory setup.

thats why if you want a harness, you need a rollbar. sorry but i sell this stuff day in and out. safety is not a 1 part thing, all the pieces work together. bucket seat, harness, rollbar. all should go in at once.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kamin

and yes, in a front or rear impact they work fine, but in a rollover without a full rollbar they are less safe than your factory setup.
Explain please, im not following the reasoning here
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

in a rollover the force of the accident and the layout of the seatbelt (3 points) allow you to move down and in, away from the roof when it collapses. a 4 point harness will hold you upright in that situation and basically guarantee your death. now dont get me wrong, a rollover is a shitty situation all around and your basically fucked no matter how you slice it, but is it really worth that risk just to look cool? nobody needs a harness on the street.

even then, a 4 point isnt even allowed by several racing organizations anymore (NASA for sure), must be at LEAST a 5 point and even a 6 point if the seat has any angle to it (back isnt perpendicular to the ground). the anti sub belt(s) (5th and 6 points) prevent you from sliding under the harness in an accident by holding the buckle down.

also, mounting of a harness without a rollbar is generally less safe than with (longer belt length = more stretch, people mount to ground = super bad, etc) and the factory seat isnt equipped to handle the harness safely in an accident (belts can slide off shoulders of seat.)

if you want a harness, bucket seat, rollbar, harness. all 3. safety is not a game, if you arent going to do it right, dont do it at all.

Quick Reply: 4 point harness