Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Best tires for Autocrossing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires for Autocrossing

I've just gotten bit by the bug. I have a 96 SS that has the R1 option but the tires are just too dry rotten to use. I was wondering what you guys are using and what would be the best tires to put on my 2nd set of rims. The size is 275/40zr17.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

I'm sure others will chime in on this, but, it all depends on in which class(es) you plan on competing. If it's a Street Mod/Touring or "street tire" class, then you cannot go wrong with the Falken Azenis 615s OR the BFG KDs (the Falkens being significantly less $$$). BTW; these tires are both VERY "streetable" or street friendly, if you are looking for a "dual purpose" donut (with the exception of cooler/cold ambient temps and DEEP standing puddles).
If it's a stock class (A/Stock or F/Stock), or E/Street Prepared class, then D.O.T. "R" compounds are allowed (Kuhmo 710s, Avon Techs, BFG R1s?, various Hoosiers, etc.). If properly set up (suspension) and prepped, these will give you the most grip short of full-on pure race compound slicks. Just be warned that these are most definitely NOT "streetable" or street friendly. Besides wearing to the cords within 1500 miles (or less) on the street, they will pick up ALL of the screws/nails/shrapnel ANYWHERE near them quicker than a 10 trillion gauss electromagnet!!! (Not to mention the stones/pebbles that will soon chip/pepper ALL of your lower quarter panels!!)
What's in between the above two types of tires is the "100 teadwear" class of rolling stock (Toyo RA1, Nitto NT-01, Michelin Pilot Cups, Pirelli Corsas, various Hankooks,etc.). These are a "compromise", but being spec tires for various high powered road racing series they can be made to stick VERY WELL indeed with proper set up/prep/use. They will generally last longer than the "R" compounds, but will not outlast the "street mod" tires (given the same tread depths/prep). There are MANY "weekend warriors" competing on these in open track, time trials/attacks, CMC, HPDE, etc. events everywhere.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

For DOT-R's Hoosier A6 is probably the grippiest (but won't last long) and Kumho V710 is a close second. Neither of these should be driven on the street at all, and will only last about 60 runs, but they will be great while they are around.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Launching!

I looked at the Falken 615's and they seem like a decent tire. I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the front suspension first. I have worn out Hoosiers on the spare set of wheels. I like the Falken Azenis 615 and the Nitto NT-01 too. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything dailydriver said I agree with. The Toyo Proxes RA-1 when shaved to 4/32nd are an awesome tire for our cars.

I would not recommend going the Street-Tire class because we have big, heavy, poweful cars, and in auto-x, you want to be able to use every once of your torque.

I personally use Avon Tech RA's from Tirerack (on special for $149 a piece). Overall, they pick up eve ry piece of dirt and fling it at your car, however DAMN are they a HUGE improvement over my previous street tire. I won 4th place and 2nd place already on these tires in A-Stock against Evo's, STi's and LT1 Corvettes, and I can really trust the car more in the tight turns where curbs may be a risk (some of the teams I autox with use smaller lots, others, huge.).

my results (see A-stock, i'm the 99 SS Camaro)
http://www.cartct.com/06-03-07.shtml

Here is a pic of the tires on my car (this was one of the small lots as opposed to what I usually do):

Basically, since you have a second set of rims, don't bother with street tires, and go right for the Avon Tech RAs, Victoracer V700's (shaved), Toyo Proxes RA-1 (shaved), or if you want the be st (I disagree that the a6 Hoosiers are better than the V710, but that is my opinion), go w/ the kumho V710's, however these wear FAST. The Avon's or V700's or the RA-1's will last you the season and maybe more.

jmho.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info Jeff. I will check into the Avons. Your car looks good on the track.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Here is some REAL body roll:

RA1's are a great choice, and they really do last forever. I run V710's in F Stock (I really hate losing..).
Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Basically, since you have a second set of rims, don't bother with street tires, and go right for the Avon Tech RAs, Victoracer V700's (shaved), Toyo Proxes RA-1 (shaved), or if you want the be st (I disagree that the a6 Hoosiers are better than the V710, but that is my opinion), go w/ the kumho V710's, however these wear FAST. The Avon's or V700's or the RA-1's will last you the season and maybe more.
Somehow I always thought that the Avons were in the V710/Hoosier (road race, not autocross)/BFG R1 "compound category". They are, in reality, closer (in compounding) to the RA1s/V700s/Pilot Cups/Corsas???
Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

ive been told the 710s were NOT road race, but autox only tires.....if used on a road course, theyll cord and wear out in one or two laps. i have 710s for autox, and love them. although, had i more time and available sizes, i would have gone for something else, like the toyos, etc. something cheaper and lasts longer, since theyll only be used maybe 5-8 times a year. 710s were all i could find at the time that fit my spare wheels, 16x8s.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Somehow I always thought that the Avons were in the V710/Hoosier (road race, not autocross)/BFG R1 "compound category". They are, in reality, closer (in compounding) to the RA1s/V700s/Pilot Cups/Corsas???
The Avons are no match speed wise for a V710 or Hoosier. They are much closer to the 2nd tier tires: V700, Victoracer, RA1, Pilot Sport Cup, etc. If you want every last tenth, you on Hoosiers or V710's. The new BFG R1's have not been proven to be a top tier tire.

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
ive been told the 710s were NOT road race, but autox only tires.....if used on a road course, theyll cord and wear out in one or two laps. i have 710s for autox, and love them. although, had i more time and available sizes, i would have gone for something else, like the toyos, etc. something cheaper and lasts longer, since theyll only be used maybe 5-8 times a year. 710s were all i could find at the time that fit my spare wheels, 16x8s.
You can road race on V710s, but they don't last as long. A lot of guys run them who want all the time they can get and don't care about wear. You can get a 265/45R16 Victoracer, which has less grip than a V710, but lasts longer and will fit on a 16x8 rim.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Just save up for some really nice light weight rims, like 17x11, and some track tires. Save your daily driver wheels/tires for your daily driving.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Launching!

My car came with the R1 option, which is a 2nd set of 17x9 ZR1 wheels. It had BFG R1's but they got dry rotted and replaced with Hoosier A6's. I'm going to do all the suspension mods first. Thanks for all the input. I can't wait to get out on the track once the car is more prepared. These Kumhos don't grip at all.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Here's an idea, try wider tires. 11 inches is a popular size over the 9. You will get more traction from your tires. This way, your street tires might feel like track tires, or at least it would be a good choice for a second set saved just for the track.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

ive never heard of the R1 option.....explain?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
ive never heard of the R1 option.....explain?
It might have been a "trunk kit" option when one ordered a REAL/FULL 1LE LT1 SS (IF that was even possible then) with the given and signed intent to showroom stock road race the thing. Other than that, I have NO clue.

ANYONE else know for sure???

BTW SS 1156, it's NO WONDER R1s of that vintage have dry rotted out!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Launching!

In 96 there was an option called "R1" It is in addition to the level II suspension option that included a second set of 17x9 wheels with BFG R1 tires. This option is rare. I think it was only offered in 96 because the option was $1899. I will have to look and see exactly how many cars had the R1 option, but I know it wasn't many. The wheels were not installed on the car, as it was a SLP trunk option. All this stuff is documented on the car. The R1's really weren't that good of a tire, not for what the option cost. I just got it because of it being rare.

Last edited by SS1156; 07-02-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Launching!

I think after I redo the suspension 11" rims are going to be on the list too. I was just thinking of 9's because I have them sitting in the garage.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 AM

Umm...in 96? Wouldn't have been Showroom Stock legal if it was a "dealer install" option. That SCCA Trunk Kit rule didn't come into play untill the '99 season. Oh yeah, even then, dealer install options, like the dealer installed optional wheels for the Subie WRX for example, weren't showroom stock legal. Car had to come from the factory with those options.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
It might have been a "trunk kit" option when one ordered a REAL/FULL 1LE LT1 SS (IF that was even possible then) with the given and signed intent to showroom stock road race the thing. Other than that, I have NO clue.

ANYONE else know for sure???

BTW SS 1156, it's NO WONDER R1s of that vintage have dry rotted out!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Launching!

The R1 option was not a dealer installed option. The wheels and tires all came from SLP. They were already mounted and balanced, but not installed on the car. They were bagged up when I got them from the dealer where I bought the car. There were only 93 cars ordered with the R1 option in 96.

Last edited by SS1156; 06-18-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been happy with Nitto RII's as a compromise for 6 years now; daily drive them and autox on them. I wish I could afford slicks as I have a second set of rims, but for now (and I'm competitive with them) the RII's work well.

Quick Reply: Best tires for Autocrossing