Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

spring rate calculator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spring rate calculator?

i was wondering if anyone knows of any sort of calculator that i cna convert corner or end weights into a ball park idea of ideal spring rate? i have access to piles of springs for cheap(the blessing of living a few blocks from the local dirt track shop) and i would like to have an idea of where to start and what incrememnts to move in as i drop and manage the weight of the car.

thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from the things i learned while building and racing my CMC car, i dont think over all weight (w/ in the range your talking about) will affect ideal spring rate much at all.
what use is the car targeted? track only, street only, auto-x, all of the above?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

all of the above pretty much.
i am taking a slightly different, and admittedly impractical, look at rear coil overs on a 4th gen. being around dirt track guys all the time has turned me on to a few ideas about how range of motion, the arc of the movement, and spring length/rate may be able to work.
the nice part is all of the cutting/welding work will be on the rear. so i only have to sacrifice a few unloved 10bolt housings to see if the idea will work anyway. lol

Quick Reply: spring rate calculator?