Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Need help. Carbed lsx in custom swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008 | 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Default Need help. Carbed lsx in custom swap.

I've sent some people in the drag forums some questions, but everything i need also translates into this forum as well, especially since my car will see more of the twistes and road courses than it will a 1320 straight. First off, i'm putting a ls2 into a car most of you have probably never seen, a 1958 Triumph 10 wagon.

Before you ask, i'm getting my **** together so i can start the build thread. You'll see it sooner than later, i hope!! In the meantime, the car is in the shop right now being fitted for the tube frame, modified nissan IRS, and custom front strut setup.

Now, here's why i'm posting: I bought a ls2 from a member on this board for what i seem to think is a good deal. The engine didnt include a pcm or fly by wire pedal aeesmly. At this point, i can't find a pedal assembly to save my life, and it looks like it's going to cost me $400-500 total to find a pcm and have it flashed to my specs. That being said, i'm an easy kinda guy, i dont like a lot of fuss. Therefore, i'm looking at a carbureted setup on the ls2. It's prettymuch a foregone conclusion unless i come across a free ls2 pcm and pedal to match. But really, i like the idea of being able to use the gauges i have, not a whole lot of wiring, etc.

Based on my research, i know msd makes an ignition box for both the earlier and later type reluctor wheel. Being that my ls2 is from an 06 vette, i'm guessing i'll need this: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

However, i've read some posts saying that people are having issues with the box for various reasons? Am i better off going with a distributor off the front timing cover (i dont have the part #, but i've seen it...anybody have a link?)?

But actually, i'm more concerned which carb/manifold i should go with. The car will be seeing some weekday driving to work when i want to break up the monotony of the 20 mile commute, scaring my girlfriend on the way to the store (well, i dont have one right now, so i'm just being optimistic here), canyon carving, and weekend track days with friends at button willow, laguna seca, whatever we can afford. So obviously, i need to drive this thing on the streets, on california's 91 octane gas. I'm also looking for POWER! 400-425 at the wheels should be plenty, after all, the car shouldnt weigh much more than 2100 at the most (it only weight 1750 from the factory). Edelbrock? Wegner? GMPP?

I think that's it for now. Any light you'd be willing to shed on the situation would be greatly appreciated. Part number references and personal experiences would be especially helpful.

Thanks guys!
-Cam
Old 05-27-2008 | 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

I think you will find that cost wise it will be the same to get a carb intake, carb and the ignition system. I would look for a ECM and pettal, see what the price is new from GM.
Old 05-27-2008 | 09:07 AM
Teching In

Default um fuel system

im doing an ls1 carb swap now, and unless you want to drop an additon 500-1000 dollars on a new high pressure fuel system GO CARB... it'll have a better top end to boot as well

Quick Reply: Need help. Carbed lsx in custom swap.