Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Went road racing for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008 | 03:56 PM
On The Tree

I am kinda in the middle of using your car up on a couple driving events granted it will get used up quicker the harder you push, but it is all about having fun with your ride that you are modding as you go. I don't understand the idea if you can drive fast then you must tear your car up to do it. I know alot of racers that pride themselfs on running good and not tearing their stuff up (my2cents) Check the fluids flush the brakes check the pads and tires and all the susp. just have fun.............. I know I still have alot to learn and alot more track events to do but that is not the point, we all do it to have fun and learn atleast that is what I think.
Old 07-17-2008 | 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was just talking about using up your cars components..I have yet to expound on the issue of breaking parts or major components (engine, trans, differential)...I am all for having fun with the car..but if you go to a road course and do 20 hot laps (if your brakes last that long) tell me how much car you have left at the end of the 20 laps...hauling azzzz on a road course is big time fun and I say go do it....but you will use up your car and you can damage your car or in a worse case senario wreck your car ...... try explaning that one to your insurance agent.....he won't want to hear it if you wad it up and expect to be covered by your policy... all I am saying is there is a price to be paid one way or the other when you road race your street car.. autoXing is no where near as hard on your ride as road racing and it too is a great way to see how you and your car stack up against other cars and drivers in a much safer form of motor sport ..
Old 07-17-2008 | 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think i'd enjoy autoX as much as road racing (I could be wrong tho) but I like the downhill slopes, the straights, an the nice wide turns and of course the raw speed or road racing-ya thats another thing i worry about is wrecking my car at a track, my T/A is my daily driver an I know i'd be royally screwed if something happened to it.
Old 07-17-2008 | 07:37 PM
On The Tree

All good points. 6 years ago I took my DD to a track event and then I built a dedicated track car that gets trailed to the track sorry If I hijacked the thread but it seems this is more about taking your street car out on a road course which is a blast. Not taking your street car and racing it because no one would allow you to race a street car with out the proper saftey equip.
Old 07-20-2008 | 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

I ran my car at Grattan last July and pushed it hard. (Running on stock everything as far as brakes / suspension / tires go) A LOT of fun

It killed the power steering = I now have a huge transmission cooler on it. It killed the brakes -ABS Inop at 135mph is not good. I now have Eradispeeds with Hawk pads and high-temp fluid and brake ducts. It skidded the tires - I now have KDW 275-17's with Koni SA dampers and Sam Strano's springs and bars. This car can surprise and embarass some vettes.

I went back to Grattan in September, after the aforementioned mods, and it was a different car. The most fun I ever had in a car. (with clothes on of course)

More flaws will be found this coming weekend when I run at Grattan once again.
Drysump when I starve the engine in high G turns. --- Diff. cooler and Dana 44 when I kill the 10 bolt. Blower for the occasional GT500KR.

slt200mph is not far off about using up a car if you really push it
Old 07-21-2008 | 07:46 AM
On The Tree

agree, "slt200mph" would be correct in the fact that the harder you push the more you use up. But it seemed the start of the thread he just asked about what he should do to his car at track events. and I would say just what "OvalHunter" did. Keep it stock and as you get to the limit of each part and replace as you get better.... ie: brakes, tires, ect...... but not until you can drive to the limits of the stock parts and again everyone learns and pushes themselfs at a different pace. Again this is a street car making some road course laps, having fun while doing it and not going out and trying to win because it's not racing.
Old 07-21-2008 | 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Upgrades for road racing or track days

Contact Patches first.

Brake Pads, brake fluid and brake cooling ducts

Tires,

Seats and harness systems.

Then when you can drive those to the limit and only then maybe a little more HP.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Went road racing for the first time