Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Power steering cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008 | 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cdb95z28
BTW, I'm still running the stock pulley and as far as my cost, I have an LT1, so atleast the OE LT1 pumps can be modded. Are the LS1 OE pumps modded or is it a brand new pump altogether?
no idea.....i was hopping to get some info from you. i dont even know if they do rebuilds anymore. doesnt say anything about it on their site. their new LS1 pumps are like 200+, or something like that. i got a quote 2 months ago and forgot how much. not cheap though. do you know how they modded it, what they did to it?

as far as boiling over, no. especially on a street car, it should never get hot enough to actually 'boil'. if you autox or race it, then it could spit out the top. even on the street, i get what looks like leakage around my PS cap. yesterday at the road course, i had BIG leakage all around the cap. i think it was more from the venting of the cap then actually leaking, since it makes a fairly good seal. i drained what i could out of the system and filled with royal purple PS fluid. my pump whines like a blower on track.....i know its only a matter of time before it goes completely. either the rebuild or probably a new turn one is due this winter.
Old 09-21-2008 | 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

do you know how they modded it, what they did to it?
I do not know what they do to them to reduce the flow.
Old 10-14-2008 | 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
no idea.....i was hopping to get some info from you. i dont even know if they do rebuilds anymore. doesnt say anything about it on their site. their new LS1 pumps are like 200+, or something like that. i got a quote 2 months ago and forgot how much. not cheap though. do you know how they modded it, what they did to it?

as far as boiling over, no. especially on a street car, it should never get hot enough to actually 'boil'. if you autox or race it, then it could spit out the top. even on the street, i get what looks like leakage around my PS cap. yesterday at the road course, i had BIG leakage all around the cap. i think it was more from the venting of the cap then actually leaking, since it makes a fairly good seal. i drained what i could out of the system and filled with royal purple PS fluid. my pump whines like a blower on track.....i know its only a matter of time before it goes completely. either the rebuild or probably a new turn one is due this winter.
The stock ls1 pumps don't like life on a racetrack. The internal seals on mine blew up at watkins glen after 2 days. I have also had fluid boiling problems on a smaller circuit in ontario several times. I now have a turn one unit/perma cooler but haven't had a chance to do any other hpde's since.

I remember reading on frrax awhile ago, I don't think turn one rebuilds pumps anymore they only sell the units.
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
I was looking around for simple PS cooling solutions for my Camaro and I wanted to see what ideas you guys have. Right now I am looking at the little coolers that Ford uses on a lot of their small trucks and mini vans and I also thought about using a small trans cooler.

Any other ideas that would provide an easy fix for hot PS fluid on a track day?

-Thanks
-Tim
Use OEM P/S?? If so,recommend to use cooler. what about Finned dual lines alumunium. Nice mounted.

Quick Reply: Power steering cooler?