LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 hesitation/screech when starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea that's the type I have in there, but like the top half seem way more worn than I think they should be. Could just be a combination of messed up parts? Flexplate doesn't let the starter fully engage and causes premature wear and the odd noise when starting, and the hesitation could just be the starter slipping between the gears and finally catching.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Well I replaced the starter on one already because it would start to spin the flywheel, then lose grip and start grinding on the flywheel teeth. It seemed like sometimes it would also grind AGAINST the edges of the flywheel teeth, as in it didn''t go forward enough to engage the teeth and just spun on the sides of them. What I'm saying is, if it was slipping you would hear it grinding.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:13 AM
Teching In

Well now I'm even more lost, because it doesn't really sound like grinding. To me at least. I'm far from an auto mechanic, but I've never heard anything quite like it. Thanks for the help so far
Old 03-27-2016, 03:22 AM
TECH Regular

You're welcome. I'm wondering if maybe your flexplate is warped or something and putting uneven pressure on the starter? Any way to take it off and inspect? Ok, now I'm officially out of ideas until you can post the video. Hell, maybe we're racking our brain for nothing and it's just a shitty starter. Honestly, that'd probably be the best outcome as it's easy to remove, and cheap to replace with a reman. You should try to get a well lit video of the starter and flexplate when you start it. Maybe we'll see something in the video.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:27 AM
Teching In

Yea but I feel like having 2 bad starters in a row doesn't quite happen to often. But I'll have it started on the rack and try and get a good video of it starting. There's a couple times I just quit trying to start it because it sounds so terrible, then I try again. I'll take a couple of videos, one from inside looking at the gauges and another from the starter.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:41 AM
TECH Regular

Cool, waitin for those vids then. You gonna be active on here or just dissapear after the problem is solved? There is a lot of knowledge on here, and a lot of nice cars to look at. Not to mention great deals on parts and stuff. Whenever I'm bored late at night I just pop on here and look for **** to read/post about. I just happened to pop on here tonight and found your post under the live posts/new posts or whatever it is; the little radio tower emblem at the top panel. Honestly most people aren't this helpful, lol. But you will have random people pop on and off your posts here and there, offering advice and opinion. I can't believe no one else has popped on here and said anything though. Probably cause I haven't shut up yet, lol.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:44 AM
Teching In

I'll probably stick around for more help and try to help people once I get the knowledge. I do want to do more to it than just getting it started nicely lol. Just have to get the money for it
Old 03-27-2016, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Theres the best pic I have of it. Looks nicer because it was just washed, but the paint is terrible lol
Old 03-27-2016, 03:56 AM
TECH Regular

You can see more pics of mine (3) on my profile album. Friend request sent.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:05 AM
Teching In

That's a clean car. Any paint issues with yours? I have a bra on mine because it came with it, and under it is horribly chipped and dirty paint that's to late to save until I can get it painted lol. But my clear coat came is peeling off almost everywhere, and the paints starting to fade since the clear coats chipping off
Old 03-27-2016, 04:11 AM
TECH Regular

I got a few small rock chips in the bumper and hood (bought it that way), NO clear peeling, but the rear bumper seems to be slightly faded as compared to the rest of the car (common for red). They use different paint or something on plastic parts like that and they fade faster. Mine was garage kept forever before I got it, so that has a lot to do with the condition of the paint. Both my purple ones have fade, clear peeling, ect. Don't know if they were ever garage kept or not before me.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Ah that's nice to find a garage kept one. Mine definitely wasnt, but I got it off of an older guy so I figured I'd have no problems. But damn if I was wrong. I've put close to 5 grand in it just to get it where it is today. But the thing only has just barely over 90 thousand miles, and it's already got the engine rebuilt because I had a really bad rod knock. And hopefully I don't have to do much else to get it in every day running shape. Drove it around for less than 4 months after buying it before I joined the navy, hence why it's sat for pretty much the last 4 years lol. Left it at home and every time I came back there was something else that needed to be done
Old 03-27-2016, 04:51 AM
TECH Regular

Damn, you coulda just bought another one for 5 grand. You're in it too far to give up now! Welp, bout 6am now, my bedtime lol. I'll get with you Monday bout the video. Gottas hide easter egg tomorrow lol. Ill pop on here then too, but not much more problems solving to be done without that video. Check out my youtube channel btw. There is a link on my profile. Or, here. This may be easier. Here's a link to one of my videos, then you can just watch it on youtube and click on my channel to see some other videos if you want. Oh and make sure you sub.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Alright so they have other cars on the lift right now, but I'll still take a video of starting it but can't from underneath the car right now
Old 03-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Teching In

See how that works. I don't know how to embed it like yours. But see how terrible it is? And the screech right as it starts.

Last edited by 96z28rookie; 03-28-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:44 AM
TECH Regular

When it screetches, are you still turning the key? I hear a bunch of starter or starter relay clicking when you're trying to start it, when it "hesitates" as you say. It almost seems like your battery is low or you have a short. Jump it next time you try to start and see if it still does it; your battery may just be low. When did you say you replaced it? And just because it's new doesn't mean it has good power, because you might have a short or power drain somewhere or faulty alternator not charging it. It acts like the battery is half dead. Jump it and see if it starts better. If it does, your battery is not putting out enough power for some reason. I ask if you are still turning the key when it starts because if you are, that could explain the screeching sound. With it hesitating like that and then suddenly firing, could be kinda like trying to start the car when it's already running: screetch. About the same sound. If you have a short somewhere it could cause your starting symptoms, which could cause the starter to power on and off rapidly, which would cause "hesitation" and the screetch. And your battery guage seems low as well so I'd test that theory first. Test the battery, or just jump it and try to start. It really seems like either a failing battery, or a short. It COULD be the starter, but I'm betting on one of the other two, especially battery. It just seems like it is lacking power to turn over. I'd say whatever is causing the hesitation is also causing your screetching sound, which definately sounds like a starter screetch. It's either the battery, a short, or the starter itself. Start with the battery. Make sure it's good and check the connections; make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. Jump it, try to start. Check the connections and ground on the starter, make sure they are good and not causing a short.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:18 AM
Teching In

The battery is a new one from my cousins shop, and it has been jumped before. I do agree the battery could be bad though, or not enough cold crank amps. However, it's made that hesitation sound with 2 new batteries (granted not as bad as this one) and it's always had the screech with new starter and battery. And I do turn the key until it fires up, but as it fires up is when it makes that screech and I have my hand off the key instantly. This is the only lt1 I've driven that's done it, so I don't think it's turning the key that matters, especially since it's an every time issue. And what do you think could be shorted? And how would I test for it?
Old 03-29-2016, 03:50 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, so it has always made that clicking sound before finally starting, even with new batteries and starters? Then you have to have a short somewhere, or bad ground or something. You could have a bad battery cable that's shorting somewhere if it's damaged. If you have a short, then it's either at the battery/cable area, or somwhere from there to the starter. Where is that clicking comming from? The starter, or a relay? If it's comming from the starter then start at the starter and trace it back!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Teching In

The battery terminals and battery are both corrosion free, but I can't tighten the positive terminal much because the bolt is almost completely stripped. Should I take a multimeter to all the cables?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah absolutely. And put some vice grips on that nub and tighten it down, or replace the cable. You still didn't say where the clicking comes from.

Quick Reply: Lt1 hesitation/screech when starting