LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

The latest...Have a look!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rottonj
Wow that's great. Parts swap trouble shooting right in the parkinglot
Lmfao. Convenient indeed, these are just the ones on my shift. I hear there are two more floating about, not sure who owns em'. Red one got damaged after being stolen. Then repainted a very unique bright blue, guy comes to me for advice all the time. Never seen this color on a grand prix at all, let alone a GXP. Defiantly different.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Start your own club, at least get friendly enough with them to get a second set of hands when that tranny give up the ghost lol.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Start your own club, at least get friendly enough with them to get a second set of hands when that tranny give up the ghost lol.
Oh believe me, working 50 hours a week in a plant with people of like interests will generally render friendship, I know basics about their vehicle characteristics, but a club would be an awesome idea. They all have WAY less mileage than me. BUT that can be a good or bad thing, depending on the condition of their current trans. They say they run strong, so lets hope these trannies don't grenade on us anytime soon. As soon as i get my cooler installed I will physically help them if I have to to make sure they follow suite.. if they plan on keeping the cars. Gotta remember the "GXP Commandments", as I once heard. This hit home with me, lol. Trans cooler, Shift Kit, Tune. Im about to have all three soon.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck with the car, post back on your mods and improvements.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck with the car, post back on your mods and improvements.
Thank you, you betcha. I'll most defiantly be around here.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your parts list a mirror of mine of which i culled on this site,this site really pays off in knowledge dept. they been through it all ,so any prob freaking us out we come here,lay it out and someone tells us or shows us a schematic and its done ,don't know about kappa comment been running since inception and never had a problem with them ,12" type R too, u wired 2 ohm right?,my car also black ZGXP,but your wheels are cooler,super clean car u got there ma.....m
Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Don't think I've seen that Blue - it's almost like the Impala blue.
Off topic I installed the kappas on the monsoon and I'm kind of disappointing... the highs are better but the mids and lows don't hold a candle to the stock speakers (this is front only so far, haven't touched the rear 6x9).

Is this a matter of having an amp or? If you try and put any mid/low to these things they distort
Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

crossovers not gonna be the same to take advantage of kappa range,kappa need a little more power to get going as why i went with 85w by 4 amp with the front down little because of size,i had the kappas with just the amp and it really showed,put the big 12 in because my son had it leftover from one of his builds put separate amp with the sub and it sounds like i like it,everyone different in tastes as to what we want to hear and how we want it,front 3 1/2 out of equation right now,buts its a kappa and its in there lol
Old 04-04-2016, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mike -u put 2 ways or 3 ways on ?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Lol yeah I want them to have some low end and mid bass - the clarity is certainly there.
I have seen reviews that they have lots of low and mid bass, others say not much..

I have components upfront (only woofer installed), 3.5" kappa, and 3-way 6x9's (not installed yet).
Old 04-04-2016, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

don't know how monsoon is gonna react with the 3 ways as the 6by9 is 2way i think,yes i want clarity too as to why i took the burden of bass of of them and put the sub in ,sub is overbearing at times,but that has a lot to do as how music is mixed and i could go on about that but i won't,lol,but that why i save everything lol but put my monsoon amp in daughters monsoon system in g6-she got that from me lol
Old 04-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian
Don't think I've seen that Blue - it's almost like the Impala blue.
Off topic I installed the kappas on the monsoon and I'm kind of disappointing... the highs are better but the mids and lows don't hold a candle to the stock speakers (this is front only so far, haven't touched the rear 6x9).

Is this a matter of having an amp or? If you try and put any mid/low to these things they distort
Yes, having an aftermarket amp with higher RMS per channel would help the overall SQ, but in terms of performance, even with my Alpine PDX-F4 putting 120 watts per channel, they still lacked the sound I was going for. They didn't play very well at higher volumes without getting scratchy, as even at low volume, the low end just wasn't there compared to STOCK systems I've heard, such as your monsoon (Mine did not come with the monsoon system, nor a sunroof!) Don't get me wrong, they are NOT the worst speaker you can buy on the market, but in terms of price, better can be found. Or you can be like me, spend a little more, and get what you pay for:

Amazon.com: XXX6.5C - RE Audio 6.5" XXX Series Car Component Speakers: Car Electronics Amazon.com: XXX6.5C - RE Audio 6.5" XXX Series Car Component Speakers: Car Electronics
- 150 watts RMS power handeling PER speaker.

Amazon.com: RE Audio XXX6.9C 6 x 9-Inches 4 Ohm 240W RMS 2-Way Component Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: RE Audio XXX6.9C 6 x 9-Inches 4 Ohm 240W RMS 2-Way Component Kit: Car Electronics
-Yes these are 4 ohm speakers, I got them because my amp puts 120 watts to each channel with 4 AND 2 ohms loads. These handle 120 watts RMS per speaker, which is a perfect match.

Granted, there was a bit of modification that went into mounting these properly, but with a good layer of dynamat, you would be amazed. Same amp, same power, even same settings I ran on Kappas. Immediately noticeable improvement in lows, as well the mids/highs. Combined with the fact I custom mounted the tweeters, it sounds like Jimi is right in your face playing that Little Wing. It's something to behold.

Last edited by ZGXP101; 04-05-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZGXP101
=Last item of concern, while under the car, I noticed a wet spot on the oil pan. This seems like a rather unusual spot to have an oil leak, and the spot is leaking from is next to impossible to make out where its source lies. Its hard to describe where it is, but it is right next to the small gap between the engine oil pan and the transmission pan. Hopefully the pics help, if not, I can take a few better ones later. Has anyone seen this before? Most of what I've read claims these motors are stout as far as oil leakage, but every case is different. This is recent, and if I had to guess, which I sure as hell hope I'm wrong, would be the rear seal. A buddy at work also said it could be that. I cannot even imagine what that would involve, but then again, everything is fixable with the right tools and equipment. I just hope its something minor, and not the real seal. You be the judge.

Anyone have any input on my strange oil leak? Not enough to leave any drops on my driveway, but it is something I would like to get fixed ASAP. If its something any of you have seen before, or you may know where to start with finding the source of this, please let me know. From where it is located, you would assume its part of the gasket that has started leaking, but the space is too narrow to look through to be able to tell. I cannot be sure.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGXP101
Anyone have any input on my strange oil leak? Not enough to leave any drops on my driveway, but it is something I would like to get fixed ASAP. If its something any of you have seen before, or you may know where to start with finding the source of this, please let me know. From where it is located, you would assume its part of the gasket that has started leaking, but the space is too narrow to look through to be able to tell. I cannot be sure.
It's just the pan gasket, i had the same leak.replaced the gasket when i did my trans
Old 04-07-2016, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sint3k
It's just the pan gasket, i had the same leak.replaced the gasket when i did my trans
Great to know. I'm glad it isn't anything too serious, and that I'm not the only one who has this leak. My confusion stemmed from the shear lack of clearance to properly inspect the engine/pan matting surface for leaks.

Is this a job that's easily doable in a garage with air tools, jack, etc... or would, say, the cradle have to be dropped? I don't own a lift...yet. I also don't see myself pulling my trans anytime soon...

Last edited by ZGXP101; 04-08-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: The latest...Have a look!