Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adhering MAF sensor bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adhering MAF sensor bracket

I have built a silicon intake pipe and need to secure my MAF sensor next.

Currently, I have an aluminum bracket for the blade style LS3 MAF sensor so I need advice on what type of adhesive will bond the silicone intake pipe with the aluminum bracket.

Some of the products I have run across include silicon RTV products. These seem to adhere to aluminum, and maybe silicon, but I can't find any hard answer on the matter?

If I can avoid using a piece of aluminum pipe to weld the bracket in that would be great. The intake pipe is in close proximity to the radiator, and avoiding as much heat transfer to the intake air is greatly desirable.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not insert that MAF/bracket into a piece of aluminum pipe or use a piece of pipe that has that bracket welded right in like the Spectre one?

Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Teching In

This would be my solution if I had space to put a section of straight pipe in my intake. The nature of how I have to route around the upper radiator hose dictated that the intake filter immediately encounter a bend and there really isn't another good place to fit this piece into.

Name:  20160426_195550.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  519.9 KB

As you can see, there isn't much room for anything besides the bends in the pipe. Plus, it's snug against the radiator and hose, so options are limited.

The current MAF plan is to get it immediately after the filter in the only real straight section with room to fit the MAF and wire loom.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you can also put it right under that rubber hose where the two hose clamps are right next to eachother.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Update:
Products that absolutely didn't work: Contact cement and gorilla glue. Both pealed right off.

Products that did work: JB quick weld and RTV silicone. Both stuck pretty well. I went with JB weld after testing both, but the RTV was on there just as solid. We'll see what happens with time.

Name:  20160430_132045.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  194.6 KB

Last edited by DrWagon; 05-01-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Teching In

I'd be surprised if the engine runs properly with that setup. GM insists that the MAF sensor be place in the middle of a minimum 6" length of straight pipe.

I made an intake snorkel for my LS3 that consisted of a 90, then a 135 bend. There was no straight pipe. I had all kinds of problems with surging and idle speed. Changing to a 180 bend with 7" of straight pipe fixed the problem.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daveS
I'd be surprised if the engine runs properly with that setup. GM insists that the MAF sensor be place in the middle of a minimum 6" length of straight pipe.

I made an intake snorkel for my LS3 that consisted of a 90, then a 135 bend. There was no straight pipe. I had all kinds of problems with surging and idle speed. Changing to a 180 bend with 7" of straight pipe fixed the problem.

I agree. You need around 3" of straight on either side of the MAF. You will probably get erratic readings when placed in a bend like that.

Quick Reply: adhering MAF sensor bracket