Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Our ugly factory calipers.......question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
You shouldn't have any problems.... As long as you follow the sticky and do your HW. I just finished up mine this weekend. They are for the most part just bolt on depending on how you do it. I went with the Camaro SS rotors and got the center bore bored out to fit my hub so that the contact is correct verse the corvette rotor option. I also went with a "less" aggressive pad for the front and a more aggressive pad for the rear to try to counter the front rear brake bias, but it shouldn't be to bad as our cars were too rear bias from the factory anyways.

Caliper and rotor when received

after painting logo

Mounted on car

Installed with 18x10.5 wheels offset 50

The only problem you may have it wheel clearance, some have got away with 17" wheels but I had to go with 18"
Are those black rotors metal...?

What other rotors can be used with that CTSV kit? I want to stay with shiny rotors, drilled and slotted.

I do have 18" wheels.......

How do they feel compared to the stock brakes?

Any pictures of the rears?

Old 05-07-2016, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Are those black rotors metal...?

What other rotors can be used with that CTSV kit? I want to stay with shiny rotors, drilled and slotted.

I do have 18" wheels.......

How do they feel compared to the stock brakes?

Any pictures of the rears?

yes they are metal... they were just coated with a protective paint for the non pad contact surfaces. Here's a picture after the brakes have been broken in.

The 14" corvette rotor can be used but you will need a spacer to pace the caliper in the correct spot which will also put the caliper closer to your wheel spokes or you can do what I did and us the Camaro SS rotor and took it to a machine shop to get the center bore machined to fit my hub.

Pedal feel and travel is pretty similar to stock but its stops very fast and will kick in the ABS faster. I have not ran them very hard or have tracked them so I don't have any experience with that yet. I do only have some mild pads on there for now, I mainly got them so they won't heat up as much as the stock ones did.
As for the back they are stock, just with braided steel lines and painted, here's a pict anyways

Old 05-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Banned

yes they are metal... they were just coated with a protective paint for the non pad contact surfaces. Here's a picture after the brakes have been broken in.

The 14" corvette rotor can be used but you will need a spacer to pace the caliper in the correct spot which will also put the caliper closer to your wheel spokes or you can do what I did and us the Camaro SS rotor and took it to a machine shop to get the center bore machined to fit my hub.

Pedal feel and travel is pretty similar to stock but its stops very fast and will kick in the ABS faster. I have not ran them very hard or have tracked them so I don't have any experience with that yet. I do only have some mild pads on there for now, I mainly got them so they won't heat up as much as the stock ones did.
As for the back they are stock, just with braided steel lines and painted, here's a pict anyways

Are there any larger rotors I can use that makes the CTSV brake kit a 100% bolt-on job......or do I either need the spacer with the Vette rotors or the Camaro SS and center bore it?

Is the Vette rotor and spacer basically slip on the spacer and its a done deal......so really it is bolt-on...? Or is there other fabbing or tricks that need to be done?

Which larger Vette rotor will work...year/model?

Also...in the picture you posted of the calipers, isn't that smaller caliper on the top the rear CTSV caliper? Are you just not going to use it and keep the factory caliper on the rear?

Old 05-08-2016, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Answers in red also checkout the sticky thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ll-w-pics.html

Originally Posted by LS6427
Are there any larger rotors I can use that makes the CTSV brake kit a 100% bolt-on job......or do I either need the spacer with the Vette rotors or the Camaro SS and center bore it?

As far as I know only the 2006+ Corvette Z06 Rotors and 2010-2015 Camaro ss rotors will work.

Is the Vette rotor and spacer basically slip on the spacer and its a done deal......so really it is bolt-on...? Or is there other fabbing or tricks that need to be done?

The vette rotor requires washers between the caliper and spindle to center the caliper over the rotor properly.

Which larger Vette rotor will work...year/model?

2006+ Corvette Z06 Rotors

Also...in the picture you posted of the calipers, isn't that smaller caliper on the top the rear CTSV caliper? Are you just not going to use it and keep the factory caliper on the rear?

I only pictured the front rotors. Upgrading the rear brakes is not necessary as too much rear brake will cause axle hop under heavy braking. I picked up some Hawk Ceramic pads to get a little more bite out of the rear brakes than stock.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Banned

Answers in red also checkout the sticky thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ll-w-pics.html
Great...thanks man...

Old 05-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just converted the Front of my 95 TA to Vette rotors 95.$ from summit and LS1 red powder coated calipers from summit 95.$ also. I didn't upgrade the rear. But the stopping ability is like night and day. I have a large cam with low vacuum but with these new brake you hardly notice. I had to have 4 bushings made to slip between the caliper bolts and the calipers. I think they were 12mm x 14mm x 1.75 but don't remember for sure, but it was cheap and worked GREAT.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95TAVERT
I just converted the Front of my 95 TA to Vette rotors 95.$ from summit and LS1 red powder coated calipers from summit 95.$ also. I didn't upgrade the rear. But the stopping ability is like night and day. I have a large cam with low vacuum but with these new brake you hardly notice. I had to have 4 bushings made to slip between the caliper bolts and the calipers. I think they were 12mm x 14mm x 1.75 but don't remember for sure, but it was cheap and worked GREAT.
What calipers did you get...?

Old 06-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry LS6427
I just seen this I ordered the red powder coated from Summit very inexpensive.
Made a huge difference in the car, which is shy on vacuum for braking anyway.

Quick Reply: Our ugly factory calipers.......question