Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Carbon Fiber V1 hood interest

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I hope this works out--it's always good to have a selection to choose from. Since I've been unhappy with the fitment of my Extreme Composites hood, I ordered up one of these guys for $1300 on the 16th. No shipping information yet (5 days later), so we'll see how things progress.

Makes me happy you're buying that! I know because of that I will get all the information I need from it before I go spend 1300$!!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuzzy - who's hood is that? Reminds me of the new v hood. Let us know how it fits.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been away at work. Last time I spoke with him was late February and they were supposed to start working on the hood...
Haven't heard anything since. Will let you know when I hear something...
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Hopefully yours fits better than the one I got. I am seeing what they will do to resolve it that's why I didn't post anything earlier. Oh you will have to **** up your hood latch to get it to close.

I hope this works out--it's always good to have a selection to choose from. Since I've been unhappy with the fitment of my Extreme Composites hood, I ordered up one of these guys for $1300 on the 16th. No shipping information yet (5 days later), so we'll see how things progress.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oof those gaps! That looks terrible! What did you mean by "you have to **** up uour hood latch to get it to close?"
Old 04-21-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Oof those gaps! That looks terrible! What did you mean by "you have to **** up uour hood latch to get it to close?"
You have to cut half of the secondary latch off to be able to get the hood to actually latch. Good knews you can make it work and retain your secondary latch bad news its just shitty design.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by serik21
You have to cut half of the secondary latch off to be able to get the hood to actually latch. Good knews you can make it work and retain your secondary latch bad news its just shitty design.
Can you explain what you meant by the secondary latch, and show us how you modified yours? I may call up the company to discuss this. I have a couple of extra, new latches that I can send them or doctor and photograph if they need an explanation of what is bad about the design.

Going back to your pictures, I'm actually surprised by how weird the nose of that hood looks. I feel like you'd want to run the edges of the raised center section in parallel with the side creases, or at least angle them so that they converge at a point in front of the car. As it presently stands, the design looks a lot more awkward and unprofessional than the canned shot indicated.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

You'll have to cut it where I drew that red line also will have to drill the holes because the latch will need to be raised.

Can you explain what you meant by the secondary latch, and show us how you modified yours? I may call up the company to discuss this. I have a couple of extra, new latches that I can send them or doctor and photograph if they need an explanation of what is bad about the design.

Going back to your pictures, I'm actually surprised by how weird the nose of that hood looks. I feel like you'd want to run the edges of the raised center section in parallel with the side creases, or at least angle them so that they converge at a point in front of the car. As it presently stands, the design looks a lot more awkward and unprofessional than the canned shot indicated.

Cut your secondary latch on that line. And it will work.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Don't buy it, mine wasn't even close to fitting! Huge gaps, was short on the back corners by 1/2", the front corners are the wrong angle and it was a bit warped. I actually got a refund and cut mine up because im in Canada and didn't want the hassle of shipping it back. When I first saw this hood I wanted it no matter what and took the chance knowing it would take some work to make it fit but it is NOT worth it. They offered me $300 off to keep it but it would have cost me a lot more to make it look right, at least to my standards.

Last edited by Jezus; 04-22-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a guy gotta do to get some quality parts these days........don't answer that.

That top picture looks bitchin'...minus that fitment of course. I thought the carbon was actually black for a second.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

And now carbon parts for this car take a huge lead backwards. Probably to never be attempted again. SMH
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard back from my guy. He states that the hood has been started and he is currently at the Vette Museum on another project. He said it will be complete the first week of May.
Fingers crossed, we'll see...
Old 04-24-2016, 02:16 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior-1
I heard back from my guy. He states that the hood has been started and he is currently at the Vette Museum on another project. He said it will be complete the first week of May.
Fingers crossed, we'll see...
If they can mimic my hood, and front fenders i will go in with you.

Then i can take track days and push harder for i am not in fear of not being able to replace my components...
Old 04-24-2016, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Naf
If they can mimic my hood, and front fenders i will go in with you.

Then i can take track days and push harder for i am not in fear of not being able to replace my components...
That was my plan at first. However we were able to get the extractor mold and are going to go with that one first. It's not my first choice but seems like it will have more mass appeal since its streetable with rain guards.
I just picked up a stock CF hood that I am going to play with for now.

For the Fenders, I am not sure what molds we have. Yours were modeled off of a set of fenders that I have but I recently picked up a set with the flares attached. They need to be cleaned up yet to see if they are worth anything.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Quick update: The hood has been prepped and should run tomorrow.
Hope to have some pictures up soon...
Old 05-09-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Teaser pic of my hood being made. Needs to be trimmed yet.
Keep in mind this is full carbon, honeycomb race version that gets pinned down. Street version would have latch and rain trays...

Last edited by Junior-1; 05-09-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Old 05-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Junior-1
Teaser pic of my hood being made. Needs to be trimmed yet.
Keep in mind this is full carbon, honeycomb race version that gets pinned down. Street version would have latch and rain trays...

Definitely want to see it when it is on.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

More teaser pics of the complete product...

Top is in basic primer, inner is left bare with reinforcements for hinges. Front chrome strip will bolt on after holes are drilled.
Again, this is a one off race part just for me. It will be pinned down so there is no latch. It is purposely meant to be as thin and light as possible with full cut outs.

The street version that I would make for the community will have a different inner with stock hinge, front striker and rain guards all incorporated so it is a bolt on affair. We are currently in the process of tracking down OE hinge/striker parts.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you comment on the construction ?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber V1 hood interest