Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

The matte interior finish around the buttons and navigation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The matte interior finish around the buttons and navigation.

Is this something we just have to deal with happening? Or is it from some kind of protectant? The one on the pull out compartment corner is from my knee rubbing against it when it is down, wearing off the matte coating. The other ones just showed up, I was worried using dash protectant might wipe it away. I hate some things about these cars, I don't want to neglect the interior, but I don't want to wipe away the finish either.

Has anyone had these things resprayed? I am thinking eventually if it got worse I could take all of them off, and have a shop spray the same matte color over the whole thing, but something more permanent that doesn't rub off.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are pretty much the only one. I've personally never seen this happen to these cars, let alone any general motors vehicle.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't seen one yet that hasn't done this to some degree.

I sanded my lower dash bezel/ashtray door with 220, finished it up with 400 wet paper and then painted it with plastic friendly spray paint. I tried a couple of brands before finding a good match but 3 years later it still looks factory. I did the shifter trim this way as well and it still looks great but used a glossier paint for that.

The hvac controller is a different story. I peeled the finish off that ledge you pointed out with my thumb nail while stuck in traffic one day and it actually isn't anywhere near as noticeable as it was so I'm not worried about it.

I found a nice vent in the junkyard and swapped it out and as I have an aftermarket head unit, I don't have to worry about the radio bezel peeling...yet.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
I think you are pretty much the only one. I've personally never seen this happen to these cars, let alone any general motors vehicle.
I love this guy
Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering about this as well. Mine's a little more 'modern art interpretation' than yours is (read: very noticeable).

I've also wondered about the easiest way to fully remove it, and has anyone wrapped that portion of their console?

Pics of fixes anyone?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My shifter bezel was pretty bad--scratched and gummy. I took it apart, scraped all the original coating off, sanded, and sprayed it with some semi-gloss black krylon. It's not an exact match, but it's close enough. This would be more difficult to apply to the other pieces pictured, and honestly, those are minor in comparison to the wear on mine. Still better than a 1st gen Lexus IS dashboard.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, if he already noticed those little marks.... he's in for a real treat.

Quick Reply: The matte interior finish around the buttons and navigation.