Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I can almost smell the C23 now....
Not in my car.....
Old 05-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by franktf
Not in my car.....
What is your favorite poison?
Old 05-18-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
What is your favorite poison?
Whatever comes out of the pump you average gas station..... I have given some thought to E85, but it's not common enough in this area, yet.....
Old 05-21-2016, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the turbo compressor housing drilled/taped for a fitting..... Then installed the turbo, downpipe and wastegates..... I also changed the springs in the wastegates, removed the factory install 15psi spring combo and installed the lowest possible spring yielding a whopping 1.3 lbs..... I want the boost very low for initial tuning, the efi stuff is new to me and I just want to be extremely safe for initial tuning(plus I will find out how efficient hot side stuff is).....

Here's todays progress.....

Old 05-21-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Top notch work.!!!
Old 05-21-2016, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Top notch work.!!!
Thank you.....

I was sitting around watching tv and doing nothing so I decided to go to work get my motor and bring it to my shop.....

Old 05-22-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the flexplate and the oil pressure feed line on the motor..... Then put the motor in the car..... Next order of business is to get the trans built and in the car, so I got all the trans stuff out and finished removing everything from the case so I can get it cleaned up and ready for reassembly.....

I am going to need to make relocation brackets for the rear coils on the Holley valve covers due to them being rather close to the master and blower motor(you can see in the pic's)..... I think I have the one that came with the valve covers I can try and maybe use for a pattern..... The trans is next though.....

Todays progress.....

Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Woohooo[. Motor is in. I've been waiting for this. LOL. Looks real good. Ford blue.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Woohooo[. Motor is in. I've been waiting for this. LOL. Looks real good. Ford blue.
That is actually an early Pontiac blue that just happens to be very close to the exterior color of the car.....
Old 05-29-2016, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, not much got do so far this weekend..... I went down yesterday morning thinking I was going to get my trans build, WRONG..... I did get the case and tail shaft housing all cleaned up and ready to go this week..... But Sat morning I was going to get the CSR trans shield on the case and test fit the assembly in the car, this is when everything turned into an epic failure..... First problem is you can't get any kind of breather/overflow tank fitting on the vent hole because the shield completely covers that area up(it will barely clear the stock case vent)..... Then the shield makes it nearly impossible to put braided an cooler lines on the trans without putting goofy *** 90 degree pipe fitting with 180 degree hose end on it, f that.....

There is a cure for this problem, but it isn't a cheap one...... Needless to say the Reid Racing Supercase is now ordered($$$$$).....

Today I decided to get everything else ready to go for the trans, this is when I noticed some excessive end play in a couple of the gears in the planetary set..... So I disassembled it and found it was eating a couple of the thrust washers and the pins are also showing a little wear, happy day..... At least the gears all look good, so I also ordered a HD planetary rebuild kit.....

After that I decide to make a little trans stand to make building it a little easier......

A pick of the cleaned up tailshaft housing and the case I am not going to use now.....

Here's a few of the planetary disassembly and worn thrust plates......

Old 05-29-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Almost forgot, one of the little trans build stand I threw together.....

Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're putting in a bell housing that's SFI. Saw some nasty pictures of a nitrous pickup blowing a converter through its windshield the other day - not cool!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Glad you're putting in a bell housing that's SFI. Saw some nasty pictures of a nitrous pickup blowing a converter through its windshield the other day - not cool!
It was going to have a full CSR shield on it, but I do feel better about the case/bell being the shield them self(Just not so much the cost right now).....
Old 05-30-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the rest of the trans parts cleaned, blasted and polished...... Whatever was needed so it can be put back together.....

Old 06-04-2016, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a bunch of parts this week including this.....

The fun continues..... I put the tailshaft housing, pan and sip stick on the new trans case so I could test fit it in the car..... I had to modify the dip stick tube slightly to fit the trans case properly and clear the floor, but the big problem is the bell housing flange does not get along with the top 2 bolts in the rear engine cover on the LS...... You can see in the first pic here the small marks in the face of the bell housing where heads of the engine rear cover bolts hit it..... I got a couple regular hex head bolts and ground about half the head thickness off and put them in there..... This gave enough clearance for the bell housing to bolt up tight against the block.....

With that problem solved I went ahead and got the clutches and band soaking in some fluid..... Next I started modification of the planetary housing for the new retainer and pins, then started reassembling the planetaries..... The new input shaft bushing and thrust bearing/bushing are in place, and the 3 tall planetary gears are now in(just need to get the 3 short ones in and that will be done).....

Old 06-04-2016, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Seems like it might be worth lightly drilling or clearancing the housing for the bolt head clearance. Shouldn't have to be too deep and shouldn't compromise the strength significantly IMO. Are those bolts under much stress?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like it might be worth lightly drilling or clearancing the housing for the bolt head clearance. Shouldn't have to be too deep and shouldn't compromise the strength significantly IMO. Are those bolts under much stress?
Those bolts will be fine, its just the rear cover..... There is no real load on it..... I will definitely not clearance the case or bell area in any way, it is a very expensive case and I in no way want to effect the SFI ratings.....
Old 06-05-2016, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Gotcha', figured that might be your hesitation. Frustrating when parts nearly fit like that but it seems you have a way forward. Are you building this for drag or street strip?
Old 06-05-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gotcha', figured that might be your hesitation. Frustrating when parts nearly fit like that but it seems you have a way forward. Are you building this for drag or street strip?
I drive and race all my cars, and it must be legal for what it runs which means almost everything needs certification.....
Old 06-05-2016, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a little more done today, damn I'm a slow somebitch..... I finished assembling the planetary set..... Then I finished modifying and fitting the dip stick tube..... Next I had to set up and check the reverse clutch pack, it was way to loose so I had to put the piston in the mill and cut some off it for proper clearance..... I now have a properly clearance 6 clutch pack for reverse, I just need to put the seals on the piston and assemble it with the springs..... That's it for today, like I said I am slow.....

Today's progress pic's.....

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....