Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 01:01 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by franktf
It's been more than a while since I posted anything..... The car is up and running, been drive it around quite a bit..... Much nicer to drive in the summer with ac!!!!! I did finally get it to the track last Sat and i am pretty happy with it considering the torque converter is garbage.....Taking it easy to make sure my tuning is good, I made 3 passes..... All on motor leaving at 3000 off the foot brake, 1st pass with 25 deg total timing it went 7.31@97.28(60ft was only 1.746), 2nd pass with 27 deg total timing went 7.26@97.95(60ft 1.726), and the 3rd with 29 deg total timing went 7.20@98.79(60ft 1.722)..... It seems to like timing, the plugs show it still needing a little more..... The converter is the main problem right now, it feels like it's really loose driving around but only flashes to 38-3900..... It also drops just over 2000 rpm at the shift????? The motor starts making power around 5200, so there is definately a lot leaft on the table..... Made the call earlier in the week and a new PTC should be here in about 2 weeks!!!!!

I might take it back out next weekend just to find the timing sweet spot, and possible try the transbrake after that.....

Here's a couple pic's..... Almost forgot, I will be running Sick Week in Feb.....
Remind me which transmission you have?
Old 10-24-2022, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Remind me which transmission you have?
Powerglide
Old 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Powerglide
Going to do nitrous later? If not, I think I would rather have a 400 for N/A.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Going to do nitrous later? If not, I think I would rather have a 400 for N/A.
There is nitrous on it, I am just trying to get everything sorted out on motor first.....
Old 10-27-2022, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was doing a couple little to the car over the weekend and found out at least the pass side front strut gave up, if you pull up the piston and let it go it falls all the way down immediately just from it's own weight..... So I ordered and received yesterday a new set of QA! double adjustable struts and coil spring sleeves.....

To my surprise this showed up today as well.....

Looks like I'll have some work to do Saturday, i would like to take it to tune and test this Sunday?????

The following users liked this post:
Bad Apache (10-27-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 532 Likes on 336 Posts

Love this build! Glad you are still out there thrashing on the car. I think you can do it Saturday! Maybe get some prep work done Friday night to give yourself a buffer.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Love this build! Glad you are still out there thrashing on the car. I think you can do it Saturday! Maybe get some prep work done Friday night to give yourself a buffer.
I spent close to 4 hrs on it after work today..... Old struts are off, new ones are measured, modified and and ready to be installed..... Not as far along as i would like to be, but what ya gonna do!!!!!
Bad Apache (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did not get it done yesterday!!!!! Had issues with none of the bolt holes lining up in the flexplate that is currently on the car, totally fault for not thinking of this issue in advance..... I could not get anything that would work Sat, I will have what I need on Wed.....
Old 10-30-2022, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Did not get it done yesterday!!!!! Had issues with none of the bolt holes lining up in the flexplate that is currently on the car, totally fault for not thinking of this issue in advance..... I could not get anything that would work Sat, I will have what I need on Wed.....

Special flexplate, 6 bolt flexplate, other...?
Old 10-30-2022, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Special flexplate, 6 bolt flexplate, other...?
The one I am getting will work with all 6 bolts.....

The one that was in the car came from YANK, which turned out to be an old CAT which I could have picked up much cheaper locally..... The problem with this one is it only had the regular 4lxx converter bolt patterns in it, my new converter has standard 10.75 and 11.5 patterns per my request.....The problem is the is no place on this flexplate to put these patterns that won't be either close to or interfeared with(close to other holes or windows in it).....

For what I spent on this converter it's just not worth the chance of an issue..... So now I ordered what I should have when I ordered the converter.....
Bad Apache (10-31-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got everything together..... Realigned the front end and rescaled the car..... Ready to go test again.....

The following 2 users liked this post by franktf:
Bad Apache (11-14-2022), Forcefed86 (11-15-2022)
Old 05-29-2023, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I got out of the habit of posting anything..... Still have it and still messing with it..... I did get a new JW Flex plate for it and got the converter installed, tested it and it was still lugging the motor down leaving..... I called PTC and talked to Kenny, he wanted to swap the 10" out for an 8" because he thought it would be better for my application...... So I pulled the 10 and sent it back, I received the 8" shortly after..... I install it, this one went 5200 on the brake no limiter so I tested it, it was a little better but still lugged the motor down a little on the leave.....

I called PTC again and they sent me another stator to try( Nothing but great things to say about PTC, both Lane and Kenny are great to deal with and they have great customer service )..... I put that stator in, this one loads to 6200, once again I tested it..... Still the same problem and it lost a little in the 60ft, but gained it back at the other end due to reducing the shift drop.....

This is when I determined the problem is my motor although it runs good it just doesn't have enough *** to get out of it's own way with a 1.80 low gear and only a 3.73 in the rear..... I probably should have figured this out earlier, but sometimes you get tunnel vision and focus on one thing to much..... So I put the other stator back in..... At this point was running out of time to do much more before SICK Week..... I had some new Mickey 275 Pro's to put on it, but I decided to get a set of the Mickey 26/8.5 Radials to put on my beadlock wheels figuring they would help the gear a little when racing..... I had 275 Cooper Cobras to drive on and didn't want to put more gear in the car( needed to be able to cruise at a reasonable speed )..... I tested the smaller tires on registration day of SICK Week, car worked great on them..... It still lugged down but was a little better..... The car runs 6.80@102 1/8th and 10.70@126 1/4 on motor in decent air N/A, even thugh it only sixty foots low 1.50's.....

SICK Week went great for me, I had no issues with the car or little trailer I through together..... I put almost 1100 miles on it for the event, becuase I drove it to Orlando and back to..... I liked the drag and drive thing alot, in fact I am signed up for the fall Southeast Street-n-Yeet event in the Carolina's.....

Here's a couple pic's of the car and trailer from SICK Week.....

LS1-IROC (05-29-2023)

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....