Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 with Cobra T56...anyone out there with the knowledge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023 | 02:46 PM
Teching In

Default LQ9 with Cobra T56...anyone out there with the knowledge?

I have been scouring the internet, looking for the perfect answers on how to make this all work, as it is a bit of a Frankenstein build.

I know one option is changing the trans input shaft, but I am trying to go in a less-invasive and cheaper route, as I have a few of the necessary parts for keeping the input shaft the same.

I will need to relocate the shifter forward, but I have seen the kits for doing this and have a neighbor with a milling machine, I don't think this should be any issue.

My goal for the next few months is to get it into the engine bay and of the stand, as my garage is a little tight.

I just ordered a few parts this weekend for this swap, including:
-QuickTime bellhousing (less than $300, what a deal! RM-8022)
-swap pilot bearing (Lakewood 15975)
-Hooker Blackheart LS swap parts (clamshells and inserts, hardware, long tubes, trans crossmember. Kit is VK090195)

- I have a clutch disk that I'm going to use that doesn't have many miles on it, and am trying to figure out which flywheel/pressure plate to use with this transmission.
- I also have the aluminum driveline that I will use if possible, and have cut when I get to that point.

Here's my question.
Is anyone aware which flywheel I would need for this situation?
I see there is the standard, as well as the +.4" LS flywheel option.

From what I read, the cobra input shaft is shorter than the LS, so I would assume I need a thicker flywheel, but I would love some help if someone has already married an LQ4/LQ9 to a Ford T56.

Also unsure if the clutch fork location is usable for my setup, but I'm willing to try.
Old 05-28-2023 | 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

The reason that bell housing is so cheap is that they probably sold a handful, which makes answering your questions difficult.

I would install the bellhousing on the engine without a flywheel and then install the transmission. There is a large access hole in the bell housing that will allow you to see inside. This way you can see how the input shaft is mating with the pilot bearing and see where the splines on the transmission fall in relationship to the crank.

Does the Cobra T56 have a 26 spline input shaft?

Andrew
Old 05-28-2023 | 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Isn’t a correct input shaft relatively inexpensive? Seems like a lot of nonsense if yiu can just put the correct input shaft in the trans?
Old 05-28-2023 | 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The reason that bell housing is so cheap is that they probably sold a handful, which makes answering your questions difficult.

I would install the bellhousing on the engine without a flywheel and then install the transmission. There is a large access hole in the bell housing that will allow you to see inside. This way you can see how the input shaft is mating with the pilot bearing and see where the splines on the transmission fall in relationship to the crank.

Does the Cobra T56 have a 26 spline input shaft?

Andrew
I plan to do this, when I receive the bellhousing.
From what I was reading through another user's thread on here, it was once a custom bellhousing that was requested a few times. This gives me hope.

As far as the input shaft is concerned, I haven't pulled the trigger in buying the upgrade, but am leaning that way now. I thought my lightly-used clutch disc (going off memory of course) was larger than it was, but I know now that I'm wanting to get a larger disc anyway.
I also had a suggestion from a user in another group of going this route, as I'm not going for any additional HP anytime soon, and am just trying to find the simplest way of doing this. And of course, he says he had done swaps "like these" often.

What I don't know is if changing the shaft to the 26 spline helps me at all with still finding a clutch kit with the Ford-sized input shaft meeting the LS.
I am not experienced in this, and know lengths of all this is very crucial, which is why I am here asking these questions.
If that is the answer, I am totally for it.

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Isn’t a correct input shaft relatively inexpensive? Seems like a lot of nonsense if yiu can just put the correct input shaft in the trans?
They're around $300, which I am okay with paying, if I can just confirm it will help me mate these together.
As I mentioned in response above, I am not sure if the input shaft upgrade helps me locate a swap clutch combo for Ford shaft. I know the stock 10 spline shaft diameter is larger, I do not know if the upgrade is as well.

Re-reading what you said, you may be suggesting swapping in a GM input shaft?
If so, I just haven't found concrete yes/no on it working. Again, if it works, I am totally for it.

Last edited by Bradydz; 05-28-2023 at 03:27 PM. Reason: continued answer
Old 05-28-2023 | 05:14 PM
Teching In

Digging through all the Cobra upgrade shafts, and none that I’ve found have specified diameter size. But, I’m not seeing 26 spline clutches for anything other than 1-1/8”, which is leading me to think they are the same across GM and Ford in 26 spline.

at this point, I think I’m going to pull the trigger for the shaft.
Old 05-29-2023 | 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

I haven’t done this, but I believe the input shaft from the lst56 will cure your issues.