Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCowl
Doesn't umi have a Camaro they auto x with Viking shocks?
Not anymore, they changed the setup. That being said, why would I put a shock not designed for what I want to do on my car?
The following users liked this post:
Threadzy (01-05-2023)
Old 01-15-2016, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If you don't have money for Koni's, do yourself a favor and buy Koni's when you DO have money for them. They are an absolute fng revelation. I went BMR springs, Konis, and a pair of Founders LCA's (Poly but still allow rotation so no bind, not sure if they sell them still) and I can't even believe it is the same car. There are so many people on here saying to go with Stranos or BMR's with Konis because that really is a great combo. Love it when the internet and LS1tech convince me to do something and it turns out well. Normally the internet convinces me to do things when I am alone and then feel dirty and guilty afterwards, not this time!

I'm digging your car.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
If you don't have money for Koni's, do yourself a favor and buy Koni's when you DO have money for them. They are an absolute fng revelation. I went BMR springs, Konis, and a pair of Founders LCA's (Poly but still allow rotation so no bind, not sure if they sell them still) and I can't even believe it is the same car. There are so many people on here saying to go with Stranos or BMR's with Konis because that really is a great combo. Love it when the internet and LS1tech convince me to do something and it turns out well. Normally the internet convinces me to do things when I am alone and then feel dirty and guilty afterwards, not this time!

I'm digging your car.
I'd feel a little like a hypocrite if I could afford an MWC FAB9 and not konis haha. I'm just not super motivated this winter with the car in storage and probably buying a house in a couple of months, well more like buying a giant garage with living quarters nearby. I've driven an fbody with konis though and it's night and day.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Ive got Koni/Strano and it is as good as a ride as it gets. Then again, these cars will never ride like Cadillacs. When we hit holes, we feel them*
Old 02-28-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not been wanting to break it out due to road salt and the like, but we got some rain and it's been 50's all week.

If you've seen my House hunting thread you know this is still on hold as far as frivolous spending goes...I really can't wait to have my own garage even if it is just a little 2 car or something, it'll be much easier than mooching time off of friends. The first "mod" will be a maxjax lift or something along those lines.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got the winter oil out. Counting down the days till I've got a house and my own garage. I mooched off of my family again this weekend:

Old 04-05-2016, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice build. I'm thinking about the Ride Tech 3 way adjustable coil overs for mine, but I'm an engine builder so motor was the first order of business. Bought the car with a Moser 12 bolt already though making it so I just needed a transmission to go with it.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Always forget to skip quick reply to sub to threads, so another post for it.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
Nice build. I'm thinking about the Ride Tech 3 way adjustable coil overs for mine, but I'm an engine builder so motor was the first order of business. Bought the car with a Moser 12 bolt already though making it so I just needed a transmission to go with it.
Thanks dude, I've been on hold pretty much since last August when I moved out here stupid house downpayment and such, I've got big plans for the next 12 months or so though. I'd be interested to see how you like them if you go with the ridetech setup. I'm pretty torn between koni, ridetech and UMI's new setup (pending pricing of course). Going to need to do sways and bushings as well, unless I convince myself to pick up some boxed UMI lowers
Old 04-06-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myk
Dude, you moved to 'PB? How in God's name are you going to have time to work on your car when there's all that beach-*** struttin around. PB is America's Brazil!

My wifes cousin works at the PB ale house. I was there last july in la Jolla......love that place.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm getting close to getting mine back on the road, but still have some things that have to be done before getting into the suspension and with my wedding coming up all of it has to wait. It will likely be next year before I can.

The reason I'm looking at those is the high and low speed compression. This will allow for a softer spring to work and still handle hard driving while eating up the roads without regret. My other car is on stiff suspension and handles like it's on rail when the road isn't to rough. I can skip the CD and DVD in smooth corners, but rough corners I loose grip and around town driving suffers.

Dirt bikes come with dual speed compression and you can do the same thing. You can get over bumps like the aren't there or land from 35 feet in the air and not bottom out.

I'll post about like a kid at Christmas when I get them, I'm sure.

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

So after much deliberation, a move halfway across the country and the biggest purchase of my life, I've decided to update what is going on with the car. I bought it a home:

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built-xp6wj2m.jpg

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built-deo0xmj.jpg

In need of a few upgrades, a pro is coming in tomorrow to start on the epoxy flooring. Once that is one it's going to need a few electrical upgrades and some fresh paint on the walls (two tone maybe?). And then I'll free myself to waste more money on the camaro
Old 05-25-2016, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Floor is done. Once it's hard enough to walk on I'll start painting:

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built-ecamrwb.jpg

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built-27l5lhr.jpg
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took a break from the house last night, car night at Quaker Steak!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

The veil has finally been lifted. Parts incoming:

UMI/Strano/Afco coilovers, UMI boxed lower arms, moog stuff for my uppers, Strano sways and tires...bouncing between Street Comps or Continental extreme contacts. I'll have pictures in a couple of weeks. And I'm going to make a call to Texas-speed soon to get my Cali smog compliant exhaust system replaced.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Minding my own business at work and these just showed up at my desk:

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built-6z9wgcol.jpg

I think my loading dock guys are going to hate me by the end of next week.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 261 Posts

its amazing how much a nice garage floor changes the look of a garage.

congrats on the house, I know firebird guy in the camaro threa.... didnt realize you had a build thread so i decided to pop in. Nice progress man
Old 06-15-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to Strano and now also plan to order those coilovers, but decided to wait to get my DOT claim handled first. Let us know how they work out.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
its amazing how much a nice garage floor changes the look of a garage.

congrats on the house, I know firebird guy in the camaro threa.... didnt realize you had a build thread so i decided to pop in. Nice progress man
Thanks! Just a light build thread it took a bit of a back seat due to other stuff, but I should have a bit of free cash to start getting serious about some extra power this fall.

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
I talked to Strano and now also plan to order those coilovers, but decided to wait to get my DOT claim handled first. Let us know how they work out.
Will do, expect to see as much feedback as I can put in this thread. I'm hoping the control arms, shocks and sways show up this week, but I'm stuck in NYC till saturday so I won't know till I swing past the office. I'm also going to be going with some conti extremecontact DW tires for the street.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I hope you didn't go crazy $$$ on the flooring. Its actually pretty simple to do for a few hundred dollars depending on square feet**

Quick Reply: BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built