Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New look for my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Default New look for my camaro

im looking at doing some appearance mods to my car. i like the white lettering on the tires that is becoming pretty popular. here are some photoshop pics to give yall some idea of what im looking to do.

here is what my car looks at the moment

double logo with same wheels

single logo with black chrome spokes on same rims

im thinking i want to do the double logo with the black chrome spokes, or gloss black spokes. leaning towards the black chrome.
what do yall think???
Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

I like this one a lot. I think it looks really sharp!
Just my opinion but I dislike the black rim one very much.
But I don't like black rims for the most part.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the black rim on better. To me, the white doest really go with the chrome wheels
Old 06-09-2016, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I vote double logo on black
Old 06-10-2016, 02:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I agree with 98CayenneT/A. Of those, I prefer the chrome wheel with double logo.

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
To me, the white doest really go with the chrome wheels
RWL tires and chrome wheels have been a perfect match since the '60s.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

OP, I like it like it is today. I'm surprised to hear this is a "think" now, it never looked good IMO. I may be in the minority... but after 3 months of daily driving, even black tires start getting a little brown. The white lettering on my grandma's Oldsmobile's tires also turned off-white. I'm sure cleaning products have come a long way, but I like the black tires.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
OP, I like it like it is today. I'm surprised to hear this is a "think" now, it never looked good IMO. I may be in the minority... but after 3 months of daily driving, even black tires start getting a little brown. The white lettering on my grandma's Oldsmobile's tires also turned off-white. I'm sure cleaning products have come a long way, but I like the black tires.
I think it looks fantastic on the older cars, with larger sidewall tires. I'm not sure if I like it yet on newer models with low profile tires though. As far as care and maintenance, this is no problem on a daily driver. A stiff brush and good cleaner are all you need in an application where you actually wash the car. The difficulty comes with garage queen applications, when washing isn't part of the program. I have a process for cleaning them on my '71 that doesn't involve a hose or getting any other part of the car wet, but it's a bit of a hassle.

Having said that, I don't know what method is being used to produce the white color in this instance (some sort of paint perhaps?), therefore how aggressive one can be about cleaning it. The harsh cleansers that are designed to work on original-type RWL/white wall tires might remove the color if it's just a surface coating. Personally I would never consider this option unless it was actual white rubber like the original version of this tire style.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
I vote double logo on black
I agree with this

I use bleach-white for the white letters on the tires on my truck and it cleans them up really nice. not sure how it would do on white letters added to the tire later on though.

what is the process of adding the white letters onto a tire? I kinda like the idea and may look into it for my car
Old 06-10-2016, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look on REAL road race tires/slicks (Hoosiers, etc.).

Not so much on street car tires.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
I agree with this

I use bleach-white for the white letters on the tires on my truck and it cleans them up really nice. not sure how it would do on white letters added to the tire later on though.

what is the process of adding the white letters onto a tire? I kinda like the idea and may look into it for my car
the white letters are almost like a tire patch, but for the outside of the tire. just prep the area, use glue and apply the label.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
I agree with this

that bleach white is some mean stuff
Old 06-11-2016, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

single logo looks better to me
Old 06-11-2016, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree with 98CayenneT/A. Of those, I prefer the chrome wheel with double logo.
I agree
Old 06-12-2016, 05:25 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

It used to be. The version that is sold these days (since being purchased by Black Magic several years ago) is quite weak in comparison. You can add some TSP to the new formula to make it a serious cleanser again.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

It used to be. The version that is sold these days (since being purchased by Black Magic several years ago) is quite weak in comparison. You can add some TSP to the new formula to make it a serious cleanser again.
Is it still sold in it's original bottle like from 20 years ago? I know I have seen some recently.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Is it still sold in it's original bottle like from 20 years ago? I know I have seen some recently.
The new bottle and label looks very similar, so much so that the average person just grabbing it off the shelf might not even notice the change at first glance. But the original bottle said "Westley's", which was the original brand. Now it says "Black Magic", and the label artwork has changed.

The new (current) label bottle contains the watered down new formula. I still have some of the old formula stashed, and it is quite a bit more potent.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look of it on lowered and aggressive looking cars. Double for sure, but I like brand and model printed on separate sides.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
the white letters are almost like a tire patch, but for the outside of the tire. just prep the area, use glue and apply the label.
sounds simple enough, I may give it a shot

I love it, been using it for years

The new bottle and label looks very similar, so much so that the average person just grabbing it off the shelf might not even notice the change at first glance. But the original bottle said "Westley's", which was the original brand. Now it says "Black Magic", and the label artwork has changed.

The new (current) label bottle contains the watered down new formula. I still have some of the old formula stashed, and it is quite a bit more potent.
hmmm I am going to look at the bottle I have at home, my dad is the one that showed it to me years ago and have been using it ever since on my white letter tires. still works really good for me even if it is the watered down version
Old 06-13-2016, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say to leave it as it is. To me white letters on this style car takes me back to the early 90s. That's the first and last time I put white letter tires on a sports car (1988 Camaro by the way). I didn't know this was becoming a "thing" either. I'm right over the border from you in MS and don't see many cars sporting white letters anymore. What I see more of around here is overly large rims with a rubber band wrapped around them pretending to be tires.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by psychosid30
What I see more of around here is overly large rims with a rubber band wrapped around them pretending to be tires.
The only thing worse than this is when the tire is overly narrow/stretched on the wheel. Just foul IMO.

I really do like RWL tires, but I would not be interested in the glued patch method mentioned above. I might consider them for a 4th gen with stock tire size if a tire manufacturer produced them using the same method as traditional RWL tires.

Quick Reply: New look for my camaro