Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM1 to MagnaMouth Install, Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Gotcha. Yes, the coned side is the 3.5"
Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more question for you DR. Did the 3" side of the coned fitting fit into the magna flow 14419 muffler or is that why you also bought the ext piece? Not sure if that piece in 3" id or od? Thx
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by ironmikektm525
One more question for you DR. Did the 3" side of the coned fitting fit into the magna flow 14419 muffler or is that why you also bought the ext piece? Not sure if that piece in 3" id or od? Thx
Let's clear some things up...

1) I had the ORIGINAL SLP LoudMouth. It was a welded one piece design made of a MUCH higher quality stainless than the crap produced today.

2) The original catback's inlet was 2.75" to mate to the FACTORY Y pipe.

As you can see from the pics, but I'll post them here again, I welded the 3" expanded coupling to the catback to accept the 3" transition cone from the Y pipe, giving me a TRUE 3" exhaust.

This picture shows I cut the expanded pieces of pipe OFF of the muffler and tigged it directly to the catback pipes

The dark pipe is original stainless catback pipe, and the shiny part is the 3" expanded piece (NOT THE CONE REDUCER) to allow the 3" side of the cone reducer to slip inside and be clamped.

This pic shows the 3.5" to 3" cone reducer slipped inside said 3" expanded piece on the catback

Same pic further back
Old 06-16-2016, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 06-19-2016, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my mangna flow 14419 installed on my slp lm2 system finally. Sounds a little deeper in tone and still is loud which i expected. Ran into couple problems! First the 14419 is 20" vs slp's 18". Wasnt a big problem as i cut 1" off one of the sides and made up the other inch by adjusting the rest of the exhaust! The PITA was when I tried to slide the muffler into the exhaust where it goes over the axle. The muffler 3" was the exact size of the catback pipe 3". I had to heat the sh-t out of the catback pipe and use an exhaust expander to make it fit which was kinda a PITA!!!!! (I was working with my car on 4 ramps. I highly recommend using a lift as im a wider guy After I got it expanded to fit over the muffler the band clamp would not fit! I had to buy a 3" u clamp and grind out the inside of the U so it would fit around the exhaust and line up with the other part of the clamp where you put on the nuts! Maybe there was an easier way to do this but i wanted the catback pipe to go on the outside of the muffler. Anyways its all on and works great! The lm1 piping might be diff then lm2? In my case this was not a bolt out bolt in job
Old 06-19-2016, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lm1 piping might be diff then lm2? In my case this was not a bolt out bolt in job
Couldn't you just get a wide 3" exhaust band clamp?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what i did. I still had to grind inside of the U part of the clamp so it would line up with the holes on the on other part of the clamp. Expanded side of the exhaust was now wider then 3" causing the clamp to spread to much. Know what im saying?
Old 06-19-2016, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expanded side of the exhaust was now wider then 3" causing the clamp to spread to much. Know what im saying?
Sure, but if you used one of the butt together style clamps you wouldn't have to expand the exhaust at all, right? Just cut off a little extra.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would've probably worked! Good call! Probably would've had to order that though? To late now

Last edited by ironmikektm525; 06-19-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Got my mangna flow 14419 installed on my slp lm2 system finally. Sounds a little deeper in tone and still is loud which i expected. Ran into couple problems! First the 14419 is 20" vs slp's 18". Wasnt a big problem as i cut 1" off one of the sides and made up the other inch by adjusting the rest of the exhaust! The PITA was when I tried to slide the muffler into the exhaust where it goes over the axle. The muffler 3" was the exact size of the catback pipe 3". I had to heat the sh-t out of the catback pipe and use an exhaust expander to make it fit which was kinda a PITA!!!!! (I was working with my car on 4 ramps. I highly recommend using a lift as im a wider guy After I got it expanded to fit over the muffler the band clamp would not fit! I had to buy a 3" u clamp and grind out the inside of the U so it would fit around the exhaust and line up with the other part of the clamp where you put on the nuts! Maybe there was an easier way to do this but i wanted the catback pipe to go on the outside of the muffler. Anyways its all on and works great! The lm1 piping might be diff then lm2? In my case this was not a bolt out bolt in job
thank you so much for your post. i've been asking to see if muffler swaps on the SLP LM to Borlamouth or Magnamouth(what u did) was really indeed a "bolt on" affair and you answered my question.

with that said, is it really a BIG difference between the sound of an SLP LM2 muffler and the Magnaflow 14419? is the rasp the same? thanks
Old 06-20-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
thank you so much for your post. i've been asking to see if muffler swaps on the SLP LM to Borlamouth or Magnamouth(what u did) was really indeed a "bolt on" affair and you answered my question.

with that said, is it really a BIG difference between the sound of an SLP LM2 muffler and the Magnaflow 14419? is the rasp the same? thanks
Np on my post. As far as sound goes if you know your car you can tell the difference in sound. Its a little deeper like people say and the rasp is id say 25% better. People say there is/isnt muffler break in. If you go to magna flows website under faq you will read they say after a couple hundred miles there mufflers will get slighty deeper in tone/louder. How much who knows. I can say after i put on 40 miles i can tell mine has gotten a little deeper in tone. Is it worth the swap? For me yes ! Just knowing its a 3" core vs slp 2.5" is good enough reason for me plus the sound is better. Dont expect night/day diff! Its still loud as sh-t but sounds good Any other questions feel free to ask!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine got noticeably deeper and louder over time. It happened in stages. Not a lot but noticeable for sure
Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Deep enough to make car alarms chirp putting around in a parking lot, let's put it that way

Quick Reply: LM1 to MagnaMouth Install, Pics