LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project Minwage (Picture heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016 | 01:34 PM
Teching In

Got this sucker out today. The oil pan was on and the last bolt decides to snap clean in half about 2 threads deep into the block. I got pretty lucky, my drill bit somehow caught the bolt while I was pulling the bit back out of the hole and spun the whole bolt out in one piece! Needless to say I am ordering some ARP oil pan bolts today. Another forum says Kit # 134-1802 is the way to go. Can anyone reassure that? (And ignore my flip flops. It's at least 100 degrees in the garage today )
Old 07-18-2016 | 01:52 PM
Teching In

he does still make them, and they are high quality pieces. Send him a pm through that site for his latest pricing. They were fairly priced when i bought them as they are jet coated and 1-3/4 primaries.
Old 07-18-2016 | 07:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chase Langs
I used the 400 grit 4inch bore full hone. It is more expensive compared to the half hones they sell at enginehones.com but the whole cylinder is even and looks fresh outta the factory! Because it's an iron block I didn't go with a super hard material, whatever their basic cutting stone is is the one I used.
happen to know part#?bores look sweet...i need to hone my cylinders..doing a quick re ring...
Old 07-21-2016 | 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by platinum performance
happen to know part#?bores look sweet...i need to hone my cylinders..doing a quick re ring...
http://www.enginehones.com/gbd400400sc.html

Here is a link to the one I used, bought the cleaning brush as well and that thing rocks.
Old 07-21-2016 | 05:58 PM
Teching In

So I ordered the oil pan bolts, pretty sure they are the right ones. To anyone that may know a bit about how the lt1 clutch pedal assembly works, I have 4th gen pedals mounted in my third gen (4 bolts to the brake booster/master) and the clutch pedal has that bracket where I assume the master cylinder is mounted. Before I start cutting a hole in my firewall can someone describe how it is mounted in a 4th gen? is it straight out of the firewall, at an angle? and do you just run bolts through the firewall into the clutch pedal bracket or do they go through the master cylinder and the clutch pedal bracket?
Old 07-21-2016 | 11:04 PM
TECH Resident
10 Year Member

Mounts to the firewall flush, but the mount puts the master cylinder sits at around a 45* angle. There is a U-bolt mount for it and the U stays on the engine side with the threads going through the firewall. Two nuts and a bracket(I think that is part of the clutch pedal assembly) hold it on the other side.

Looking around the net, here is a view from the inside....
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...erstraight.jpg

This is not the right cylinder(might be an LS1 type), but this does look like the U bolt. Notice the flanges mid bolt that pull the cylinder tight to the firewall.
http://image.superchevy.com/f/587261...tch-master.jpg

I'll try to get some pics of my Z28 here in a few mins.....

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-21-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2016 | 11:24 PM
TECH Resident
10 Year Member

Kind of a tough spot to get to....but here they are.....

1996 Z28 - Outside Clutch Master Cylinder

1996 Z28 - Inside Clutch Master Cylinder
Old 07-25-2016 | 06:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Kind of a tough spot to get to....but here they are.....

1996 Z28 - Outside Clutch Master Cylinder

1996 Z28 - Inside Clutch Master Cylinder
This helped so much thank you!! Cut the hole for my master cylinder today and everything fits great.
Old 07-25-2016 | 06:22 PM
Teching In

Oil pan and flywheel went on today, along with cutting the clutch master cylinder hole. I just wish ARP wasn't so expensvie... They are the best though, very happy with the bolts. Everything seems to seal well!
Old 08-07-2016 | 07:36 PM
Teching In

The old pilot bushing sent me on quite the adventure... Tried a puller with no success, so I went on a 30 minute drive to the nearest store with a blind hole puller with a nice slide hammer. Almost 5 hours later and the old bushing torn to bits I finally got it out!

I really had to cut into it, but I didn't hit the crank at all! New bushing went in today along with the new clutch/PP. If someone could just double check me on my specs that would be great! PP bolts are torqued to 22lbs, and is throwout bearing is mounted correct? The C clip holds onto the bearing through the PP?
Here's a picture -

Old 08-07-2016 | 08:04 PM
Teching In

So the parts have really started to pile up, good news is its all going on the car before I leave for school, even better is I get to bring it! Found a storage unit that is less than 5 miles from campus. I went with some Hedman shorties, built for sbc third gens but everywhere I read says that the round primaries should be large enough to cover the D-port heads.
Old 12-19-2016 | 08:04 PM
Teching In

Back home on winter break! I have about a month to work on the car and a whole lot of catching up to do. I'll continue to post here and just started making youtube videos about the car so stay tuned!
Old 12-20-2016 | 10:44 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chase Langs
The old pilot bushing sent me on quite the adventure... Tried a puller with no success, so I went on a 30 minute drive to the nearest store with a blind hole puller with a nice slide hammer. Almost 5 hours later and the old bushing torn to bits I finally got it out!
Were you able to get more than one bit behind the bushing to pull? I could only get one bit and found out if I hammered one side more than the another it would get rocked into the pilot hole and made it extremely difficult to extract. I ended up hammering on all sides equally much like if you were to install a seal and it came right out.
Old 12-21-2016 | 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Old Folks trick, fill the bushing and hole with wheel bearing grease,get a alignment pilot shaft in the hole and give it a whack with a BFH. The bushing will generally slide out on the shaft. Tremendous hydraulic pressure this way. FWIW
Old 05-29-2017 | 09:54 AM
Teching In

Any updates?
Old 06-02-2017 | 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cookseyb
Old Folks trick, fill the bushing and hole with wheel bearing grease,get a alignment pilot shaft in the hole and give it a whack with a BFH. The bushing will generally slide out on the shaft. Tremendous hydraulic pressure this way. FWIW
I'll have to try this next time, I usually fill the hole with wet toilet paper and use an extension.

Also curious for updates!

Quick Reply: Project Minwage (Picture heavy)