Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1/L83 into something eventually

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I think I can add some further useful info here for you guys. The engine mount bosses on the LT engines stand 3/8 further away from the block centerline than the mount bosses on the LS engines do (discovered and verified in CAD program), so any swap application that has been difficult to get the front of an LS engine low enough in the frame to achieve optimized U-joint working angles is going to be even more troublesome to do so with an LT engine.

Dang, I don't need any bad news. How much difference in centerline height are you talking about? I have not even test fit my engine yet but planned on moving it as far forward as possible to allow the transmission tail to sit higher. As long as the angles are the same I should be good????
Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

okay... haven't posted in awhile but have been using my spare time cutting out and replacing floor pans, rebuilding front suspension and replacing sub-frame bushings. I have test fit the engine and have determined that there will be a clearance problem without some changes. I have a Camaro SS oil pan ordered and have started modifications to the cross member and the tranny tunnel. Looks like I will have to cut about 1.5" out of the rear of the cross member an raise the transmission tunnel about 1.5" as well to be able to properly position the drivetrain.

I have the transmission tunnel cut out and will test fit the drivetrain again before welding the tunnel back in. Same goes for the front cross member.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bamabob
okay... haven't posted in awhile but have been using my spare time cutting out and replacing floor pans, rebuilding front suspension and replacing sub-frame bushings. I have test fit the engine and have determined that there will be a clearance problem without some changes. I have a Camaro SS oil pan ordered and have started modifications to the cross member and the tranny tunnel. Looks like I will have to cut about 1.5" out of the rear of the cross member an raise the transmission tunnel about 1.5" as well to be able to properly position the drivetrain.

I have the transmission tunnel cut out and will test fit the drivetrain again before welding the tunnel back in. Same goes for the front cross member.
Sweet, some progress beats no progress!!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gthmcty1
Sweet, some progress beats no progress!!
i agree. I think of my project cars as a thousand small projects instead of one big project so I am feel like I've accomplished something when each small project is done
Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Here's what $400 gets you nowdays

a shiny new 2016 Camaro SS oil pan. This should solve my clearance issues.

Last edited by bamabob; 08-27-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

here is a nose to nose comparison of the two pans

Last edited by bamabob; 08-27-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default getting ready to drop it in

one of many trial fits to go
Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Still trying to decide what finish to put on my wood floor

Last edited by bamabob; 08-27-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default and she fits just fine

Old 08-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I think I can add some further useful info here for you guys. The engine mount bosses on the LT engines stand 3/8 further away from the block centerline than the mount bosses on the LS engines do (discovered and verified in CAD program), so any swap application that has been difficult to get the front of an LS engine low enough in the frame to achieve optimized U-joint working angles is going to be even more troublesome to do so with an LT engine.
in practice on my 2nd gen Fbody raising the tranny tunnel is a must to get the tail up to get angles right. But this would have have been done regardless to get the oil pan and tranny pan up and out of the way
Old 09-01-2016, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Niiiiiice!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great! I have our gen v swap fully functional. It makes great torque and the transmission shifts so nice. We did a 6l80e. Let me know if you need help modding the gen v harness. its best to use the bcm with the pedal position brake sensor.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

That pan looks pretty deep. Is it hanging below the crossmember?

Andrew
Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vannatta20
Looks great! I have our gen v swap fully functional. It makes great torque and the transmission shifts so nice. We did a 6l80e. Let me know if you need help modding the gen v harness. its best to use the bcm with the pedal position brake sensor.

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I will have some questions on this when I get a little closer. What are you running through the BCM? Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
That pan looks pretty deep. Is it hanging below the crossmember?

Andrew

Hello Andrew! On trial fit it is barely below the crossmember. I'm in the process of raising the transmission tunnel and think I can get the engine a little higher and still maintain driveline angles. If I can't I'll just put a skid plate from a Hummer on it.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default Trans tunnel mods

Here's a few pictures of what I'm doing to gain some room to get the transmission sitting higher in the tunnel. Pretty basic stuff, cut out tunnel, weld 1.5" strips onto each lower edge and set in place. From here I will mark what to cut to make points along firewall to fit up and then weld it all in. Lastly I will put in a transition piece of metal to close up the gap at the end of the raised tunnel to the original positioned tunnel. All welds are just spotted right now and cleaning up my welds will give me more opportunity to hone my grinding skills..... The console has plenty of room under it where the tunnel is raised so this mod will be unseen. The carpet over the raised tunnel section will most likely have to be slit tas to not affect the fit elsewhere but will hidden by the console.

Last edited by bamabob; 09-07-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Very nice work !!!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Very nice work !!!
thanks man. I'm looking forward to getting the floor done so that I can get on with the rest of the build
Old 09-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bamabob
Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I will have some questions on this when I get a little closer. What are you running through the BCM? Thanks again!
We have the brake pedal position sensor, tap shift, tow/haul mode, cruise, and sport modes.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vannatta20
We have the brake pedal position sensor, tap shift, tow/haul mode, cruise, and sport modes.
thanks. Why is the brake position sensor needed vs just an on/off signal? Does the bcm process a signal or does the signal just pass through?

Quick Reply: LT1/L83 into something eventually