Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Camaro LSx Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkyard60
I put that in so I could use it more so as a handle while it was in the hoist and when I was trying to wiggle it around trying to line it up lol
OK cool. lol On another note. Make sure to get a 1 piece 98 fbody upper radiator hose that didn't use a power steering cooler. Later fbodies had a in line cooler in the hose and used a 2 piece hose. And don't forget to cap off the Lt1 radiator port on the driver side bottom. That was attached to the Lt1 oil cooler and won't be needed for the swap.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Damn... What transmission do you go with?
I'm in a odd situation on mine. I've had a built TH350 w/Transbrake and vigilante 4000 stall sitting, waiting to be installed, for about 3 years now. With my 3:55 gears, that's going to have me pretty close to 2.5K on the tach at 55 mph. Can't take any long trips with that. I want to get a different transmission for street duty since I like to drive the car as a daily driver. I just took out the T56(Some viper internals, SPEC Stage 4 Clutch, SPEC Billet steel flywheel). Too bad the LSx and LTx transmissions aren't bolt on swaps. I've always been a fan of manual transmissions but the turbo's love the automatics.

I can get a Frank Cahill built 4L60E for over 3K, including a pro torque TC. Or I can get Tick Performance to rebuild one of my T56's to a face plated Ls1 compatible, but that's going to be over 2K plus , I'll need a flywheel and clutch and slave, etc. Maybe I can find someone getting out of the game selling a decent Trans.

Thanks guys for the tips on the throttle cable and the coolant hoses.

The transmission was rebuilt to handle 1000hp...
Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hoses on amazon without the power steering cooler i ordered. fit perfect...

Amazon.com: ACDelco 20312S Professional Lower Molded Coolant Hose: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 20312S Professional Lower Molded Coolant Hose: Automotive

Amazon.com: ACDelco 26347X Professional Upper Molded Coolant Hose: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 26347X Professional Upper Molded Coolant Hose: Automotive

EDIT: this was with my lt1 radiator as well.

Last edited by merim123; 04-20-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Damn... What transmission do you go with?
I'm in a odd situation on mine. I've had a built TH350 w/Transbrake and vigilante 4000 stall sitting, waiting to be installed, for about 3 years now. With my 3:55 gears, that's going to have me pretty close to 2.5K on the tach at 55 mph. Can't take any long trips with that. I want to get a different transmission for street duty since I like to drive the car as a daily driver. I just took out the T56(Some viper internals, SPEC Stage 4 Clutch, SPEC Billet steel flywheel). Too bad the LSx and LTx transmissions aren't bolt on swaps. I've always been a fan of manual transmissions but the turbo's love the automatics.

I can get a Frank Cahill built 4L60E for over 3K, including a pro torque TC. Or I can get Tick Performance to rebuild one of my T56's to a face plated Ls1 compatible, but that's going to be over 2K plus , I'll need a flywheel and clutch and slave, etc. Maybe I can find someone getting out of the game selling a decent Trans.

Thanks guys for the tips on the throttle cable and the coolant hoses.
I ended up going with a th400, its ATI's fuel comp setup minus the manual valve body and the bigger pan. My friend owns Jeffs Transmissions in Tampa and he was going to use this in his Chevelle that he was rebuilding. But after driving it for a day he said he wanted OD and I was having him build a 4l80 for me at the time. So I ended up getting the th400 for what I started paying toward for the 4l80. I figured I didn't need the OD cause I work 10 miles away from my house and I'd really only be driving it on a Friday with 0% chance of rain Lol. I love manuals, my daily is a manual and I wouldn't trade it for anything but like you said turbo's seem to love automatics.

I was planning on getting a few things hooked up today but I ended up taking it easy and relaxing. I wanted to see how the stock driveshaft measured up to this setup compared to the new one cause it seems like getting dimensions for something like that is like trying to find the tooth fairy, and I thought it would be helpful for people that would like to do this swap in the future but after spending the last 3 days on this I just got lazy. I'll probably do a little more tomorrow and Tuesday but after that will probably be a while before I'm able to make a little more progress. I need to finish the wiring and get a few other things squared away. I'm hoping to have this done around mid June and street able by end of june.

I just wanted to say thank you to every one that has helped out getting me this far in the project.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I ended up going with a th400, its ATI's fuel comp setup minus the manual valve body and the bigger pan. My friend owns Jeffs Transmissions in Tampa and he was going to use this in his Chevelle that he was rebuilding. But after driving it for a day he said he wanted OD and I was having him build a 4l80 for me at the time. So I ended up getting the th400 for what I started paying toward for the 4l80. I figured I didn't need the OD cause I work 10 miles away from my house and I'd really only be driving it on a Friday with 0% chance of rain Lol. I love manuals, my daily is a manual and I wouldn't trade it for anything but like you said turbo's seem to love automatics.

I was planning on getting a few things hooked up today but I ended up taking it easy and relaxing. I wanted to see how the stock driveshaft measured up to this setup compared to the new one cause it seems like getting dimensions for something like that is like trying to find the tooth fairy, and I thought it would be helpful for people that would like to do this swap in the future but after spending the last 3 days on this I just got lazy. I'll probably do a little more tomorrow and Tuesday but after that will probably be a while before I'm able to make a little more progress. I need to finish the wiring and get a few other things squared away. I'm hoping to have this done around mid June and street able by end of june.

I just wanted to say thank you to every one that has helped out getting me this far in the project.
You're making good progress it seems. A TH400 with the 4" extension housing is about 3" shorter overall than a 4th gen T56 or 4L60 and has a different 31 spline yoke as well, so you will definitely need a different/reworked driveshaft.

Last edited by Toddoky; 07-15-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You're making good progress it seems. A TH400 with the 4" extension housing is about 3" shorter overall than a 4th gen T56 or 4L60 and has a different 31 spline yoke as well, so you will definitely need a different/reworked driveshaft.
Damn that's what I was thinking but I was sure what people have been doing with this kind of swap, thank you for the input though! Im hoping it will be done here in a little bit. I havent had any time to work on it because of my day job and i find more and more gremlins every time, but most of the fuel lines have been ran, the vacuum lines have been ran, transmission cooling lines were also ran and most of the harness has been hooked up. I just have a few more items left on my list and she should be almost ready for a initial crank over
Old 07-16-2015, 02:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm using a 98+ fbody throttle cable. The cruise control was long enough on mine and still had a little slack.
Just wanted to clarify...Is this 98+ cable for a cruise control car or non-cruise car, or are both even available?
I'm not using cruise on mine. Just need a plain cable to TB.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:27 AM

I have a 95 ta that did the same destruction as your
Old 07-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
Just wanted to clarify...Is this 98+ cable for a cruise control car or non-cruise car, or are both even available?
I'm not using cruise on mine. Just need a plain cable to TB.
I ordered one from GM I just told them I had a 99 camaro ss and they got it to me. They didnt ask me if I had cruise control or anything like that.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Hookup to the pedal the same?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
Hookup to the pedal the same?
Yea for the most part it was all the same, it was a little tricky getting to the grommet in the firewall but otherwise it wasnt bad
Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the lack of updates, but kind of went a little backwards since I'm no longer in a rush to get this done. Took the engine back out cleaned the bay up and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Also took the AC out while everything was out.

Name:  IMG_03331_zpsnb5ceioz.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  67.6 KB
Name:  IMG9503751_zpso0y83uua.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  86.1 KB
Old 09-09-2016, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Back at it yet?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Got my 96 Z28 w/Turbo 5.3 up and running. Been driving her around a bit, trying to get break in miles.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Damn that's what I was thinking but I was sure what people have been doing with this kind of swap, thank you for the input though! Im hoping it will be done here in a little bit. I havent had any time to work on it because of my day job and i find more and more gremlins every time, but most of the fuel lines have been ran, the vacuum lines have been ran, transmission cooling lines were also ran and most of the harness has been hooked up. I just have a few more items left on my list and she should be almost ready for a initial crank over
I've done an LS/th400 swap in my 94 Camaro. I used the 9.5" long Pontiac Th400 extension housing, so I end up with a 5.5" shorter driveshaft than typical th400 swap. I've also moved my engine/transmission back approx. 1" more than the factory fbody ls1 setup.. plus the Pontiac 9.5" extension housing also has the trans mount holes on it a little further back than the typical 4" Th400 extension housing also.. so I had to modify my BMR TH400 crossmember to extend the mounting plate rearwards about 1.5" from the original holes.

I've also centered my engine and transmission. That's another thing altogether. Suprisingly the stock torque arm just fitted in there. But i'll swap that out soon for a strong aftermarket torque arm.

Last edited by Launch; 09-14-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

I had similar issues. With the LT1 and the TH350, the stock LS1 driveshaft fit fine. But when I swapped to the 5.3 and bought the BMR trans crossmember, the driveshaft is too short and the BRM trans mount is too far forward. I had to slot the bolt hole and use the bolt/large washer the same way you did.

Quick Reply: 1995 Camaro LSx Swap