Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

02 Firebird Project Done

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Firebird Project Done

Hello,

I just finished my Firebird project and wanted to share a few pictures.

Before I found my Firebird I had this:

Because of personal financial reasons I had to give up my 5th gen. It took me almost a year to buy my 2002 pontiac because I wanted to purchase it cash. I ate lots of cup o noodles and hot pockets for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I finally had the cash to buy. I finally came home with this after some negotiating.

4X4 look and the hood had clear coat failure. I addressed the hood by having it repainted and quickly dropped it with Hotchkiss 1" drop springs, paired with Koni sport yellows single adjustable (after reading reviews on ls1tech that it was a good combo). With advice from Sam Strano I also did the front and rear sway bars (Strano Hollow sways) and replaced all front bushings with Moog bushings.

It was good suspension wise but it was no where near the quality ride that my 5th gen had, but I can't compare them, entirely different. I was happy with the ride. I replaced many parts using advice I read on Ls1tech.com.

Fast forward to today ( I know I left out a lot I just didn't document everything. So I started with the suspension, moved to the rear end (Strange S60 4.10 gears and S trac, thanks Carl).

I also upgraded the clutch with a Monster Stage 2 and a tick clutch master cylinder.

So after I had all the bottom parts sorted out I called Tony Mamo and ordered a top end kit. Although I really wanted to do the install myself, I did not have the experience to do a head cam swap or the space. Therefore I contacted Cunningham Motorsports and they did the swap and tune for me.

Here is a video link to a cold start up idle:

I'm pretty much done, I'm happy with how it came out. It is my weekend car and a car I always liked since I first saw it in 2003, I was 17 years old and I thought it was an awesome car. Now its time to move on to another project. Will go back to eating cup o noodles and hot pocket until I save enough for a 2009- 2012 C6 Z06.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work made a badass bird. like u I saw one of he's when I was young and it stuck with me. a pristine white one ws6 cleaner than a Virgin on prom night and I've never forgotten it. and they're still such classy sexy cars in today's world of jellybean coupes and hondas. rock that bitch brother
Old 10-31-2016, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Sometimes they're worth the wait. Glad you got what you wanted.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately sexy cars. Thanks for the comments. I'll work on the videos but here is a quick pull, I eased into it. I'll hammer on it eventually. Let me know how it sounds. The exhaust is kooks long tubes/to Borla with no plate.

https://youtu.be/T8X9yZtFQaE

Quick Reply: 02 Firebird Project Done