Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016 | 10:13 PM
Teching In

Default Oil pan question

Ok I have a gen iv 5.3L it had dod. I removed the dod. But would like to put a gen iii oil pan on it. I know the gen iv engine has a oil pressure bleed off on the pan. If I put a gen iiI pan on it. should I install a gen iiI oil pump ?
Old 11-05-2016 | 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, but there are gen IV that work also like some LS2s. Melling M295 or 10295 will work also. Best to clean the Melling pumps out of the box. Used many of them without hardly and issue, but have found some trash in them out of the box.
Old 11-05-2016 | 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

If this is what you are talking about, it is not any kind of bleed off valve, it
is just ports for oil cooler, maybe the one you have points up with a hole in it but it is for a sensor on some vehicles, if the hole goes all the way through plug it, if you do not use it, or just use whats on the FBody pan.
Not sure about the oil pump, I figure it has more pressure for the DOD but not
sure about it. I just put a gen III pump on mine.

Googled it after I posted, I am wrong. read this. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...y-oil-pan.html

Last edited by slogo; 11-05-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2016 | 01:12 PM
Teching In

Oil pan question-9f85ee35.jpg

Oil pan question-817dcc7f.jpg

ok I hope the up load worked. the first pic. is of a gen iv dod block pan. the valve sticking up relives oil pressure at about 55psi aprox (gm gives no spec on this that I can find). I have seen lots stick open and cause no oil pressure. the second is of a gen iii block oil pan no relief pan.

gen iii 2004 oil pressure specs.
6 psig at 1,000 engine RPM

18 psig at 2,000 engine RPM

24 psig at 4,000 engine RPM all specs at the pressure gauge on the top of the valley cover.

gen iv 2009 Yukon 5.3l dod block oil pressure specs.
22 psig at 1,000 engine RPM

30 psig at 2,000 engine RPM

33 psig at 3,000 engine RPM all specs at the pressure gauge on the top of the valley cover.

oil pressure from the pump on a dod block is rated at
55–75 psig Maximum measured at the filler before the bleed valve.

so the dod oil pump puts out much more pressure that is way they have the relief valve. also there is a little cover the when the valve is flowing oil will direct the oil to the pan it is $15. that will solve the oil consumption concern. gm has a bulletin out if the pan is off we are to install this cover. never put a pan on with out the cover.

Question is will the extra oil pressure from a dod pump hurt my gen iv engine if I am running a gen iii pan cause it will not relive the extra pressure. or should I put a gen iii pump on my engine. I have taken out the dod cause they suck believe me I have fixed way to many of those lifters.

yes my specs are right out of gm si. I am a gm tech.
Old 11-06-2016 | 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Default GM Oil Pan Filter Pad Mods

My use of L-92 engine/L-92 pan (same valve position) removal/L-92 HV pump is common.

There have been some concerns about engine oil being "pumped" TO THE TOP.

OK, I could agree.

Thus I make/sell my own cast AL oil pan, a ten quart Marine Style pan with -12 Oil Ports AND NO Filter pad.

The next CONCERN is MAJOR, the block passage has TWICE the flow area as the pan pad boss area.

Those who "recommend" the HV/HP pumps NEVER have addressed this concern.

My method is to remove the filter insert, drill a passage way to allow more flow into the filter when an OEM pan is required to be fitted.

There is good tech about a longer "truck" filter, when allowed, to be fitted.

This is not a "secret" of mine, I will share a picture by PM (E-Mail) if asked.

Lance

Quick Reply: Oil pan question