Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any mid-level power guys (750-800rwhp) using a Th350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

In your situation, I would go 80e.
I recently went with a TH400 in the corvette I'm starting to build, but for very different reasons. If you have a stock ECU, the 80e would be better hands down. You get a free trans brake, and an almost unbreakable trans in stock form. The weight can be offset by the fact you can run shorter gears in an 80e and still cruise the highway, which will help with acceleration vs a TH400 or TH350.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

How do you get a "free" trans brake from an 80? Are you talking about the sloppy trans brake?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Restricted User

Yes. I've been using it all year.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Good to know, and it's been working very well?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:40 AM
Restricted User

It has about a .8 second delay, but other than that its 100%.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

That's good to hear. Are you using a solid state relay?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I do plan on running a brake, and are you referring to crank thrust bearings...or a thrust bearing within the transmission? The plan is to build my own transmission, just figured i would be one step closer to being independent (my own man) by learning how to build my own.
Crank thrust bearings. You need to do the proper converter circuit feed restriction mods. Just search crank thrust problems with th400s.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 408GT
That's good to hear. Are you using a solid state relay?
No, generic 5-pin relay I picked up for $5.
The delay isn't from the relay, its the time it takes to force the trans to downshift into first.

I'm sure I can cut the time in half with changes to the tune, I just haven't felt the need. When I'm full staged and I see yellow, I let off of the button.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Crank thrust bearings. You need to do the proper converter circuit feed restriction mods. Just search crank thrust problems with th400s.

Proper converter free play on the install is crucial to thus too
Old 11-09-2016, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
Proper converter free play on the install is crucial to thus too
I've never even heard of this. Seems like everything has gotten complicated over the years. I remember back in the day, just slapping the converter on....three positive engagements....and it was a done deal. Nowadays I hear stuff like "blowing through the converter" almost constantly. Now this. Not doubting what was said, but just making an observation.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Clearnace needs checked with any aftermarket converter and flex plate install. With the converter bottomed out there should be about 1/8 inch gap between it and the flex plate This allows for room to grow My own install had 3/16, so I used some shims to take up the slack

Theses days we are making huge power and most try running a 3500 stall Saturday night special converter from summit racing. These converters were never designed to handle the tq the turbo motor makes so a lot of them blow through the converter, meaning it's not hydraulically efficient any more

Edit. Quick link I found

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...installed.html
Old 11-09-2016, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
Clearnace needs checked with any aftermarket converter and flex plate install. With the converter bottomed out there should be about 1/8 inch gap between it and the flex plate This allows for room to grow My own install had 3/16, so I used some shims to take up the slack

Theses days we are making huge power and most try running a 3500 stall Saturday night special converter from summit racing. These converters were never designed to handle the tq the turbo motor makes so a lot of them blow through the converter, meaning it's not hydraulically efficient any more

Edit. Quick link I found

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...installed.html
Thanks for the link, good read.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Other than the weight penalty, I think you'd be happier with a super high gear like a 2.73 and a th400. The ratio of this combo is very close to a glide with 3.55s (1st and 2nd) you will more than likely have to slam it into drive in he 1/4 depending how fast you go, but it is what it is.
You have yourself a glide with an OD
Old 11-10-2016, 02:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SteenH
Other than the weight penalty, I think you'd be happier with a super high gear like a 2.73 and a th400. The ratio of this combo is very close to a glide with 3.55s (1st and 2nd) you will more than likely have to slam it into drive in he 1/4 depending how fast you go, but it is what it is.
You have yourself a glide with an OD
Sounds good, especially since I just swapped the 2:73 in place of the 3:42. I'm hoping for 145-148 with the auto swap. As it is, it runs 137 now.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:21 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

It's all good. Yea, I figured I would be down a good amount of power, but I think I will be able to recover all that I lose + some by putting some timing in it. I'm ready for the day that I can put continuous power down for the entire 1320 with no respool, AND leave the tree making 10-15 psi. I think even if I ran it while still being down on power with the automatic....it would still be light-years faster than it is right now.
Why don't you hook up a two step and leave on boost with the manual?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Why don't you hook up a two step and leave on boost with the manual?
Because I would likely end up like a few other people I've seen on here trying to send a heavy car on a t56 with stock input and output shafts.....busted. Or destroyed gear clusters. And even if I left good, I still can't out shift an automatic....sure I could try and no lift shift. But the FIRST time I missed, it would likely be curtains. Full disclosure, ever since I seen that f body that was in the same boat that I am in right now (slow et..strangely high trap) run 1.4 SECONDS faster....and trap 15 MPhil higher. I've been jonesing for an automatic. I want to be able to put an automatic in.....put a tire under it....and bust off a 9.30ish E.T and run close to 150 at the traps. I just can't see it happening with this t56.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:39 PM
8 Second Club

Because I would likely end up like a few other people I've seen on here trying to send a heavy car on a t56 with stock input and output shafts.....busted. Or destroyed gear clusters. And even if I left good, I still can't out shift an automatic....sure I could try and no lift shift. But the FIRST time I missed, it would likely be curtains. Full disclosure, ever since I seen that f body that was in the same boat that I am in right now (slow et..strangely high trap) run 1.4 SECONDS faster....and trap 15 MPhil higher. I've been jonesing for an automatic. I want to be able to put an automatic in.....put a tire under it....and bust off a 9.30ish E.T and run close to 150 at the traps. I just can't see it happening with this t56.
I've seen T56 run bottom 10's in a heavier car then yours. But I agree they don't like the abuse and will need a rebuild.

I don't think the turbo we have will get anywhere near 150mph. We both got about the same MPH out of it and it wouldn't make any more boost up top. I went a few MPH faster with a billet 7675 so it makes sense the ~50whp difference you saw on the dyno. If you want to stay with a cheap turbo the On3 88mm should get you pretty close to 150.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I've seen T56 run bottom 10's in a heavier car then yours. But I agree they don't like the abuse and will need a rebuild.

I don't think the turbo we have will get anywhere near 150mph. We both got about the same MPH out of it and it wouldn't make any more boost up top. I went a few MPH faster with a billet 7675 so it makes sense the ~50whp difference you saw on the dyno. If you want to stay with a cheap turbo the On3 88mm should get you pretty close to 150.
I have a funny data point for ya. This car traps the exact same with this 7876, as it did when I still had the billet pt7675 in play. What's even more strange is, the car backhalves better now than it did with the better breathing pt7675 (top slip is the 7675) On this 6.0, I've seen 22.4psi by accident before (weather change).....now with that said, I didn't see if there was any pressure drop up top or if it was able to sustain it...I just seen the peak when I hit the recall. The reason I'm so optimistic about the trap is, I'm not even using the full track for acceleration right now. I put up a track video a couple weeks ago, and you can see that it doesn't start making steam till at least a 100 or so ft out from the tree....maybe even more. If I can leave the tree in boost, AND sustain it the entire length of the track...I think the trap is going to be a monster. I've got faith in the Lil Ole 7876 . Hopefully I will be able to provide some data points going from this 6 speed...to a hydramatic the beginning of next season.

Last edited by Game ova; 11-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:25 PM
8 Second Club

I have a funny data point for ya. This car traps the exact same with this 7876, as it did when I still had the billet pt7675 in play. On this 6.0, I've seen 22.4psi by accident before (weather change).....now with that said, I didn't see if there was any pressure drop up top or if it was able to sustain it...I just seen the peak when I hit the recall. The reason I'm so optimistic about the trap is, I'm not even using the full track for acceleration right now. I put up a track video a couple weeks ago, and you can see that it doesn't start making steam till at least a 100 or so ft out from the tree....maybe even more. If I can leave the tree in boost, AND sustain it the entire length of the track...I think the trap is going to be a monster. I've got faith in the Lil Ole 7876 . Hopefully I will be able to provide some data points going from this 6 speed...to a hydramatic the beginning of next season.

What's your vehicle weight? I doubt the cast 7875 has enough jams to even get 700 to the tire through an auto and that's not enough for a vehicle with any weight to it to see 150MPH. I wish you the best of luck but I don't see it happening.

I'm not sure what your issue is with launching because I'm into boost when the clutch lets out without using a two step and with a little 5.3L. A 6.0 should have that little turbo howling at the moon with any throttle input. Something is wrong with the setup if it takes that long to spool. What does your car spool at on the street?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

What's your vehicle weight? I doubt the cast 7875 has enough jams to even get 700 to the tire through an auto and that's not enough for a vehicle with any weight to it to see 150MPH. I wish you the best of luck but I don't see it happening.

I'm not sure what your issue is with launching because I'm into boost when the clutch lets out without using a two step and with a little 5.3L. A 6.0 should have that little turbo howling at the moon with any throttle input. Something is wrong with the setup if it takes that long to spool. What does your car spool at on the street?
Car is 3750 with me in it. I have myself to blame, at least partly...for the lame launches. I'm leaving not to far above idle, scared to break the rear end again (will remedy this next year). But a agree, even with the bog...it should recover quickly and light off this smallish turbo, and I suspect that this tune is the other party to blame here in addition to myself. I think the timing is soft across the board, causing it to take longer to recover. Now on the street, it's a completely different story....spools quick and is very lively...but of course there's no vht on the street either.

Quick Reply: Any mid-level power guys (750-800rwhp) using a Th350?