SINISTER build (update 2/8/13)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Sweet baby jesus! Welds, Fays2.....drool

What paint did you use for your intake tube? I built something similar out of 4" aluminum and have been pondering what to do with it.
Thanks man.

Intake tube and water pump are done in the same finish. It's VHT wrinkle coat. Love this stuff. I've used it on several things and it always comes out looking great. I actually have my headache rack, bedrails and rear rack on my work truck done in this stuff. Finish is really uniform and perfect for this.

Originally Posted by f8lvenom
Wheel and tire specs please!
18x10 +41mm offset w/ 295/30/18 front.
18x11 +43mm offset w 315/30/18 rear.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
Thanks man.

Intake tube and water pump are done in the same finish. It's VHT wrinkle coat. Love this stuff. I've used it on several things and it always comes out looking great. I actually have my headache rack, bedrails and rear rack on my work truck done in this stuff. Finish is really uniform and perfect for this.

18x10 +41mm offset w/ 295/30/18 front.
18x11 +43mm offset w 315/30/18 rear.
The rear end in your car isn't narrowed any to get har fit?
Old 11-22-2016, 09:47 PM
scj
TECH Addict

The wheels fit without the rear being narrowed. There's another black SS that is running these same sizes on here who posted up. My rear is narrowed .50" per side as I didn't want to run into any rubbing issues as I'll be racing this car. If this was just a street car I would have left it alone.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scj
The wheels fit without the rear being narrowed. There's another black SS that is running these same sizes on here who posted up. My rear is narrowed .50" per side as I didn't want to run into any rubbing issues as I'll be racing this car.
Ok, it looked like there's a lot Olof dish on the rears wheels.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 PM
scj
TECH Addict

They'll fit stock length rearends though. This is the car I'm referring to. Same setup.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great, thanks. I'd love to eventually get a set for my black Z.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:10 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Not a whole lot to report. Tested out the BLS headlights. They're definitely bright and look sweet IMO. Always been a fan of good quality lighting.

I had an issue with the serpentine system throwing the belt and couldn't figure out what it was. Everything was aftermarket, balancer, ps pulley, tensioner and pulley as well as alt. Made sure balancer was seated all the way, made sure ps pulley was installed all the way on which lead me to either the aftermarket billet manual tensioner and or pulley was the wrong offset or the alternator pulley was wrong from the manufacture. After closer inspection it definitely looked like the alt pulley stuck out way too far so I contacted powermaster whom I purchased it from in 2014 and upon sending them some pictures and measurements they concluded it somehow got the wrong pulley. They mailed me the correct pulley free of charge and I installed it tonight. Looks to be all in alignment now. That's some customer service if I've ever seen it. Nearly three years after purchase and they had no questions regarding taking care of it. Even know it only had a 1yr manufactures warranty. Kudos to JR at powermaster. We will see once I crank on it again. Still waiting on the tune file otherwise, then I can bleed brakes and clutch one more time, adjust tick master to engage correctly with car running then it can start and make its maiden voyage and I can do some data logging to get the tune dialed in before taking it in for WOT on the dyno. Of course I'll have to get the
Old 11-30-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good in here.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

scj,
Regarding your radiator, how well does the fan from AZ work? What rad cap is that? Looks super clean. I see everyone else chopping the whole upper brace off to do the vertical radiator mod. Not sure why they aren't choosing this route??
Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Evaporate
scj,
Regarding your radiator, how well does the fan from AZ work? What rad cap is that? Looks super clean. I see everyone else chopping the whole upper brace off to do the vertical radiator mod. Not sure why they aren't choosing this route??
as for the fan goes, not sure... lol haven't put it to use yet. ill let you know once i have got the car running/driving.

The radiator cap is just a traditional round radiator cap from summit racing, but its got a billet specialties cover that goes over the top. bought both from summit racing.

as far as the core support goes, i'm not sure. it is a pretty tight fit and requires some pretty precise cuts rather than just chopping it off and calling it a day. it definitely looks a lot better imo though.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks scj, I'll look forward to that. You're always responding to people as well, much better than most, including myself lol. Keep up the amazing work.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 PM
scj
TECH Addict

The moment everyone been waiting for... including myself. almost 7 yrs in the making including the lt1 setup and now this one and its coming to a close.

The first start went about as lousy as anyone could expect, lol.
woundnt run on its own, immediately died, had to give it throttle to keep it running, sounded terrible. haha, but it got better.

i got the 1st tune file from Pat G, and loaded it, but was still having issues. Map reading was constant 104-105kpa with engine running, so that was strange. Tps voltage was .69v and was not resetting using the normal tps reset procedure, any more closed on the throttle screw and it would just crank and die immediately. IAC counts were way too high, and therefore car was sturging and would die intermittently even after a lot of adjusting. therefore some diagnostic was required. first thing i tackled was the map sensor issue. i pulled the intake and hooked a vac pump directly to the map sensor and KOEO the data was communicating with the pcm and it was registering vacuum with the mityvac, so my only conclusion was that the way i had it relocated was not allowing it to read the vacuum while connected to the intake. i'm assuming this was due to soft vac line collapsing while the engine was running, so i flipped the map upwards in the stock location and made a little L bracket to mount it on the back in a similar fashion as stock and drilled the intake for the rear map location. upon re-installation of the intake, the p0108 i was getting disappeared and map was now reading correctly. so i then tackled the TPS/IAC issue. i found out my tps voltage should be reading .55-.68v with the throttle body in the closed position and apparently will not reset to 0% if it is over this voltage. so i drilled out the mounting holes and removed the locating tab and clocked the sensor until i had my voltage in this range. reset to 0% no problem, adjusted screw a little more, and got the IAC counts down like they should be within just a few mins. the car would now idle correctly, and all the DTC codes i had related to map and iac/tps and maf went away at this time. heres some fun in the mist of all this.

i'm a skinny ******, but notice i'm actually standing in between the radiator and engine. vertical radiator mod ftw!

Now here's the pretty much finished engine bay. still think i'm going to paint the back of the headlight buckets at some point, but don't feel like pulling them back out at the moment, then of course id love to show off all the beauty under the hood all the time and drive it without the hood, but i will be installing my sunoco once i know i wont be under the hood every few mins.

heres a quick one of the whole car, cleaned it up a little from sitting.
and yes, it moved under its own power for the first time.

i've given it a couple drives to data log for the tuner, but it's still not quite all there tuning wise.

now on to the money, sorry phone died as soon as i revved it, so i had my wife take another video with a quick rev while i had my son, lol.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Old 01-19-2017, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Absolutely awesome!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

that thing is a work of art! cant wait to see it with the hood on. love the rad setup too, so much room for activities in front of the motor lol might have to give it a try when I install the turbo kit on my car
Old 01-20-2017, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Came out beautiful man....congrats!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i enjoyed the pics and videos. well done. on point with the fit/finish/materials used. executed properly

are you adding a fan shroud?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:31 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. It's kind of surreal i guess. I used to come home everyday and walk past it and think ugh, I've gotta finish this thing. Now As soon as I get home I grab the keys and go take it for a logging drive. I guess that's normal excitement though, considering I started this thread in September of 2012. I've had the car since 2009, wrecked it, fixed it, started the lt1 build in 2010 sometime and probably started this whole debacle in 2011 sometime. It's come along tremendously, but it's still got some stuff left. Here's alittle throw back for you guys. My first car @16yrs old:

Yes it's a v6 car, my original plan was to swap a v8 into this car, but took an offer I couldn't refuse and bought the camaro. Started my love for fbodies though.
Right after I bought this car:

When I broke it:

I'll still be updating the thread until the car is 100%.

To answer your question I don't plan on shrouding the Fan unless I have cooling issues.
If for whatever reason I do then I'll buy another radiator like this one and have my buddy fab up an aluminum shroud for it.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:46 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Got the hood fit up today. Have a little uneven gap on the driver side fender I've gotta fix, but otherwise it's pretty much there. I had to cut 3/8" thick peices of abs to shim the front bumper toward the hood to close that gap. Horrible 90's Gm fitment. I tried adjusting all the factory adjustments but could not close the gap between the hood and bumper no matter what I loosened and tugged on. I got the hood flush with the curve of the rear of the fenders and got a good gap at the front now with the shim. I guess I could blame vfn, but who knows. I also had to slot the hood hinge plate holes that mount the hood to the hinge to get it forward enough to even open/close. Can't get the 6le aluminum hood hinges things to work properly though. Seems like the bracket is about 1/4" too long, so I may have to modify this to fit and work too. Anyhow, on to the goodies.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

My word!!

Quick Reply: SINISTER build (update 2/8/13)