LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP. Nightmare LT1.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. Nightmare LT1.

As most of you know I just stuck a cam in my 94 Trans Am. Had problems with warm start ups, ICM fixed that issue. Then I had a pushrod jump out of a lifter, didn't seem like it did any harm. Then my starter bit the dust. Got that madness figured out, starter fixed the grinding issue and then it fired up and ran like **** then died. So I tore it back down took the opti off.

Disassembled the opti and discovered that the rotor had one screw already out and then one screw that was left was about 2 turns from coming out. I also noticed the the electrodes were quite burnt up. Replaced the opti and reassembled everything. Unplugged the ICM and the motor turned over fine, no strange noises or anything. Plugged it back in and it fired right up, reached the 1100 rpm idle that Moe set it at, it then dropped to like 500 rpms and then died. Now it won't start, HELP.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

using loc-tite on the rotor screws is HIGHLY recommended to prevent rotor screws from coming out

Back track all your electrical connections and confirm no wires are lose where they go to the ground stud next to the coil (DS head)

confirm your coil wire is "seated"
Old 12-11-2016, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
using loc-tite on the rotor screws is HIGHLY recommended to prevent rotor screws from coming out

Back track all your electrical connections and confirm no wires are lose where they go to the ground stud next to the coil (DS head)

confirm your coil wire is "seated"
Coil wire was seated properly, grounds are OK, pulled the coil harness and it's all good. I decided to pull the #1 plug to see if it would spark when I tried to start it. It sparked as it should, I also noticed that that it's back firing quite a bit. At this point I am thinking that the timing is off, thinking that the chain skipped a tooth.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

very rare (read I have not heard of it on LT1) for the chain to jump a tooth

no start is either ignition or fuel. Check fuel pressure to rule that out

you put in a different opti than the one that had the rotor screws come out??

did the motor run after the cam swap?
Old 12-11-2016, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
very rare (read I have not heard of it on LT1) for the chain to jump a tooth

no start is either ignition or fuel. Check fuel pressure to rule that out

you put in a different opti than the one that had the rotor screws come out??

did the motor run after the cam swap?
Yes I put in a brand new opti and yes the motor ran great on first start up. When I pulled the #1 plug it was wet with fuel. I also recently checked the fuel pressure and it read 43 with the key on which is where it supposed to be.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Reassemble the old opti with loctite screws and see if it will start/run. Unless you got a OEM AC Delco unit, seems like people have had issues with Autozone units etc.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Launching!

First thing you need to do is ALWAYS loctite the rotor screws no matter what brand opti you put on. You can also put a bead of silicon around the outer edge of the cap to further prevent moisture from getting in if you'd like. Second, if the new opti is backfiring, my first thought is that you didn't get the cams dowel pin in the slot, but instead right next to it, in the "clover" spot. If that checks out, then you need to pull the new opti back off and check that the screw(s) didn't back their way out of that one as well.

Quick Reply: HELP. Nightmare LT1.