Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 LX Fox 5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 89 LX Fox 5.3 swap

I purchased a 1989 LX hatch fox body mustang 2 days ago from the 3rd owner. 4 cylinder 5 speed 129k miles. Runs and drives perfect. Body isn't perfect but I'm not a perfectionist and I want it to be a sleeper. Paid $1500. But obviously I need a V8....I had a 91 LX hatch 5 speed in high school. 306 with ported heads and intake. Same black exterior and black/red interior. Definitely brings back memories. My next car was a red 98 Camaro Z28 auto. Which is why I joined this forum back in 2008ish. So now I have the project car itch and I'm basically going to combine those two cars with an LS powered fox....I'm going to try to do this on a budget (ever heard that before?) but I already have the 4 cylinder sold to a friend with a 1980 fairmont mint condition that just blew his engine for $500. And there's a 99 5.3 with all wiring and ecm at my work place (diesel repair shop) that my boss sold me for $300. I plan on porting the stock heads, going thru the valve train and sticking a cam in her. Obviously I need a k member and oil pan. Thinking about a 4L80e trans with a stall converter. Haven't seen many guys run this transmission. Any thoughts? This will be a street cruiser, not trying to drag race. My 4l60e in my camaro never felt great and was on its way out when I sold it two years ago. Other big item I need is a rear axle. Will probably buy one from an sn95 stang and do 3.73s. I'll update this thread as things progress. Would love to hear opinions from those that have done the swap.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
m

I purchased a 1989 LX hatch fox body mustang 2 days ago from the 3rd owner. 4 cylinder 5 speed 129k miles. Runs and drives perfect. Body isn't perfect but I'm not a perfectionist and I want it to be a sleeper. Paid $1500. But obviously I need a V8....I had a 91 LX hatch 5 speed in high school. 306 with ported heads and intake. Same black exterior and black/red interior. Definitely brings back memories. My next car was a red 98 Camaro Z28 auto. Which is why I joined this forum back in 2008ish. So now I have the project car itch and I'm basically going to combine those two cars with an LS powered fox....I'm going to try to do this on a budget (ever heard that before?) but I already have the 4 cylinder sold to a friend with a 1980 fairmont mint condition that just blew his engine for $500. And there's a 99 5.3 with all wiring and ecm at my work place (diesel repair shop) that my boss sold me for $300. I plan on porting the stock heads, going thru the valve train and sticking a cam in her. Obviously I need a k member and oil pan. Thinking about a 4L80e trans with a stall converter. Haven't seen many guys run this transmission. Any thoughts? This will be a street cruiser, not trying to drag race. My 4l60e in my camaro never felt great and was on its way out when I sold it two years ago. Other big item I need is a rear axle. Will probably buy one from an sn95 stang and do 3.73s. I'll update this thread as things progress. Would love to hear opinions from those that have done the swap.
If you are committed to a budget build you actually will be able to do the swap on the stock K-member and leave the front suspension untouched by using the new components coming from Hooker soon. This includes a bolt-in 4L80 crossmember. I have a Hooker fox-body development thread going if you want to check out the design characteristics.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always glad to see another Fox!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Toddoky
If you are committed to a budget build you actually will be able to do the swap on the stock K-member and leave the front suspension untouched by using the new components coming from Hooker soon. This includes a bolt-in 4L80 crossmember. I have a Hooker fox-body development thread going if you want to check out the design characteristics.
Cool thread. When will those motor mounts and cross member be available? Cost? I plan on redoing the suspension and brakes anyways. But if I can save money on the k member that's cool too.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
Cool thread. When will those motor mounts and cross member be available? Cost? I plan on redoing the suspension and brakes anyways. But if I can save money on the k member that's cool too.
My best quess is the release of the parts will begin in March with the long tube headers and engine mounting brackets hitting first. The transmission crossmembers and exhaust systems will follow a few weeks after.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Launching!

She finally went under the knife today.... Ill borrow my buddy's cherry picker this week and pull the drivetrain out. Then Ill work on cleaning up the engine bay and start with brakes/suspension/rear axle/fuel before I put the new (used) 5.3 motor in. If anyone has advice on brakes or suspension or has anything used for sale send me a PM. I also picked up a 4L60E for cheap so Ill also be in the market for a torque converter but I havent decided on a cam yet. If you have a good street cam for sale with a lopy idle HMU!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Quick Reply: 89 LX Fox 5.3 swap