Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to adjust Koni/Strano setup to prevent bottoming out on highway bumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to adjust Koni/Strano setup to prevent bottoming out on highway bumps

I installed the Adjustable Konis, and Strano lowering springs a while back. Whenever I have a passenger in the car (extra weight) the car now bottoms out on any bump or sag in the highway when I am traveling >40mph. Is there a way to adjust the Koni's to perhaps stiffen up the shocks to prevent that awful grind? I did the recommended (4 or so turns tight from stock) setting that Sam suggested. Should I go more open or close?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

are your front shocks on the lower perch?
Old 02-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Default Bought those bump stops from Sam Strano

Sam, I bought those replacement bump stops for my 02 Firehawk. They are the Jeep CJ ones. I just tried installing them and they don't fit. There is a flange near the tire side that prevents them from sitting flush. Did you send me the wrong ones or is there a necessary modification that needs to be done?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sam may chime in, but the adjustment on the single adjustable Konis (which is what most of us have, so I am assuming you too) is for rebound, so it will only slow things on the way up, it will not prevent bottoming out. You can try out the extremes to feel for yourself what it changes. Did you remove the rubber upper spring isolators? If so, I suggest you put them back.

I have the same bump stops on my car. Just get an angle grinder and cut a little out of the side of the bump stop to make it fit. Mine already had the metal spacers removed, which is how you will want to set it up. I went a little nuts drilling holes in mine in order to soften them up. The 3 holes were too hard. The 8 holes worked well, but the bump stops deformed a bit from the impacts. They actually still work well after a few years, but I think they will eventually tear at the holes, so I will make my next set with maybe 5 holes. You can also buy softer 3rd gen bump stops, which I think are basically the same as the factory ones that probably fell apart on you too.

Quick Reply: How to adjust Koni/Strano setup to prevent bottoming out on highway bumps