First track day with Th400.....very disappointing. (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default First track day with Th400.....very disappointing. (Video inside)

Just finished my Th400 swap last week, and was anxious to get to the track this morning. Told my buddies that the car feels much faster....but that was on the street. Didn't translate well at the track today. 1st pass it had the car turned all the way down (11psi) and coming out the hole with no boost...just rolling into it that proved to be the best pass of the day. It still spun pretty good but it went a 1.8 sixty....don't laugh....used to go 2.2 sixties. The second pass it added a few psi of boost, WHAT DID I DO THAT FOR??? Anyway, here are the vids.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Just my opinion but I don't see what there is to be disappointed in. You blew the tires off, got out of it then back in it. Get it to dead hook.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Just my opinion but I don't see what there is to be disappointed in. You blew the tires off, got out of it then back in it. Get it to dead hook.
I would like to, and that was the plan. But after the conversion....funds for the rear end and tires were not available.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you launch off the t-brake on 6-8 lbs you won't be disappointed. If you are just rolling into it you wont be happy. I gained 10 mph vs leaving with 0 boost.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
When you launch off the t-brake on 6-8 lbs you won't be disappointed. If you are just rolling into it you wont be happy. I gained 10 mph vs leaving with 0 boost.
Gives me some hope. I actually had a buddy offer to let me make a pass on his ET streets yesterday. But I decided against it, as I needed to drive the car home. Rear end probably wasn't going to have ANY of that.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

What was the ET and mph on the 1.8 60 pass? That was my exact 60 and I'd like to compare.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
What was the ET and mph on the 1.8 60 pass? That was my exact 60 and I'd like to compare.
Might not be a good comparison, as I literally rolled into it....and still spun. Which is most likely why the trap is so low. First slip is the roll on......the second one is a 2psi footbrake launch.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't draw a conclusion (from 2 passes) until you relearn how to drive it and do some fiddling to find out what it wants.

If it was easy, anyone with a credit card could go fast.....

It is good that some improvement was shown that shows your setup has improved and there is potential.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RixTrix
You can't draw a conclusion (from 2 passes) until you relearn how to drive it and do some fiddling to find out what it wants.

If it was easy, anyone with a credit card could go fast.....

It is good that some improvement was shown that shows your setup has improved and there is potential.
I agree with this. I was just hoping I could sneak the thing into the 10s....high 10s that is. When funds allow, the car will be truly race ready....meaning no more traction issues. I also wanted to run the car as is, to do a before and after coming from the t56 with the same tires and rear end. The car showed immediately that there has been an improvement as it ET'd the same with about 10psi less boost....and probably would have trapped about the same if I had the traction.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the car looked good once you got it rolling. It for sure has the power to get it done. Running mid 11's on street tires with your setup is very good. 10's are in your future!!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
Well the car looked good once you got it rolling. It for sure has the power to get it done. Running mid 11's on street tires with your setup is very good. 10's are in your future!!
Thanks man.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I literally wanted to cry after I finished building my s10 I had my first few passes and I csn show u videos of white smoke all the way to the finish. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Leaving on no boost leaving on 2lbs rolling out tried the trans brake a few ways no luck tried foot brake no luck then once I got mad the second time to the track after suspension changes and it was still doing it I started shocking the tires with 7 to 8lbs of boost off the brake and it was a whole new animal I finally was getting results I'm at the 1.6 mark with 3.27 gears not great but it's a street truck on a wore out pair of m/t pro 275s literally they looked like slicks no sign of a groove wear bar left. New tires and it's doing great trust me u will.be able to get the results after some.time.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
I literally wanted to cry after I finished building my s10 I had my first few passes and I csn show u videos of white smoke all the way to the finish. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Leaving on no boost leaving on 2lbs rolling out tried the trans brake a few ways no luck tried foot brake no luck then once I got mad the second time to the track after suspension changes and it was still doing it I started shocking the tires with 7 to 8lbs of boost off the brake and it was a whole new animal I finally was getting results I'm at the 1.6 mark with 3.27 gears not great but it's a street truck on a wore out pair of m/t pro 275s literally they looked like slicks no sign of a groove wear bar left. New tires and it's doing great trust me u will.be able to get the results after some.time.
I hear ya. I really have myself to blame for the **** poor traction the car has. Being that the car is primarily a street car, I couldn't stomach only getting about 3,000 miles out of a set of tires. So I went with the Nitro, but I should have at least went with the NT05R's. It's going to be a different game next track day....
Old 03-07-2017, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

104mph in the 1/8 and 133 in the quarter is no joke. With the power you are making I would not even leave the house without some Mickey Thompson drag radials. Cars that make as much power as yours are dangerous on regular radials. If you want a totally streetable 10 sec car with regular radials you need to look into awd turbo cars...lol. Put some tires on that thing and let it eat. 133mph is low 10's in the 1/4 and nothing to be disappointed about.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's going to fly when you are able to leave on boost!!

Towed it to the track or drove it? Any highway pulls?
Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nostang
104mph in the 1/8 and 133 in the quarter is no joke. With the power you are making I would not even leave the house without some Mickey Thompson drag radials. Cars that make as much power as yours are dangerous on regular radials. If you want a totally streetable 10 sec car with regular radials you need to look into awd turbo cars...lol. Put some tires on that thing and let it eat. 133mph is low 10's in the 1/4 and nothing to be disappointed about.
Thanks, with a tire....and turned up....the car needs to be around 145mph and mid 9s. Just need the cash to finish the drivetrain (rear end and tires). I guess that's why I was a bit let down, the car really isn't underperforming.....it's my poor choice of tires that are handicapping it...along with the 10 bolt.

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
It's going to fly when you are able to leave on boost!!

Towed it to the track or drove it? Any highway pulls?
Yea, things should really pick up when I can leave on the transbrake. I did drive to the track, which was why when a buddy offered his ET streets....I decided not to bite. I feel that if I did, I would have been looking for a way home. And yes, I've made some highway pulls. Right now, that's about the only area that the car is truly fast is the highway.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition, it is a waste to go to the track this early in the year. It is very rare for a track to have much traction the first month, it will likely be green.

Al
Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
In addition, it is a waste to go to the track this early in the year. It is very rare for a track to have much traction the first month, it will likely be green.

Al
This is true, any and everybody that was making any kind of power was spinning. But being the opening day in my area....I just had to go.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
This is true, any and everybody that was making any kind of power was spinning. But being the opening day in my area....I just had to go.
Same and they did a good job with the track .I was dead hooking on cheap street tire with my 02 B4C. You just over powered your tires by allot .
Old 03-13-2017, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that mph is good for high 9s. time to upgrade the drivetrain

Quick Reply: First track day with Th400.....very disappointing. (Video inside)