Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Camaro LSA/TR6060 '13 ZL1 interior retro-fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017 | 01:30 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

That is a fantastic build. I can't wait to see it in paint!
Old 03-10-2017 | 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

still amazed at the quality of your build! so many here like myself jealous of your talents!
did stock ZL1 manifolds fit between the rails I looked at so many pics and it looks like both did easily? cant wait to see it painted, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-10-2017 | 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zman1969
still amazed at the quality of your build! so many here like myself jealous of your talents!
did stock ZL1 manifolds fit between the rails I looked at so many pics and it looks like both did easily? cant wait to see it painted, thanks for sharing!
thanks. Yes stock manifolds, but they only clear the steering box because we used BRP motor mounts which mounts engine on the high side.
Old 03-11-2017 | 03:40 AM
On The Tree

Any new progress? I'd love a car like this in my garage, awesome!
Old 03-11-2017 | 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

The pic in post 218 is the "money shot". Looks very sinister !!!
Old 03-11-2017 | 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Any new progress? I'd love a car like this in my garage, awesome!
Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
The pic in post 218 is the "money shot". Looks very sinister !!!
Thanks. Unfortunately been really busy at work and missed the paint date. still working final fitment and gap work. front sheetmetal been a headache.. Had my 17yr daughter out to learn to weld....bittersweet to find out she is really good at it...better than me..20 minute freehand lay out a stripe style in primer...think its a keeper...dropped the trunk lid off the table and junked it... didn't take pic while shaving front bumper mounts, but here how we decided to do it.

Old 03-12-2017 | 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Ouch, that sucks about the trunk panel. Glad to see your daughter helping out. I hope she wore earplugs while using the welder AND grinder.
Old 03-15-2017 | 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Can you talk about why you chose the Restomod AC system, and also your compressor choice? I'm thinking about using a TBSS compressor and Restomod air in my build but I don't have any 'good' reasons for this, yet
Old 03-20-2017 | 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by cryptonomad
thanks. Yes stock manifolds, but they only clear the steering box because we used BRP motor mounts which mounts engine on the high side.
I'm looking into a LSA swap for my 69 and I have a DSE sub-frame in it and it is R&P and the steering shaft hits #3 header tube so thinking about using stock LSA manifolds that takes care of that issue for me, now how did your driveshaft angle work out with TR6060 with the modified Hooker cross-member? I wonder if I will have trans tunnel issues with out a modified tunnel like yours, it looks like it would sit higher? maybe its just difference in the mounts
(I currently have a LS6 T56 in car now)
also how did you get TR6060 shifter to come up so far forward when you extended it?(or was it shortened) when the TR shifter is 5.5" rearward of the T56?

Last edited by zman1969; 03-21-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2017 | 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

THere are alternatives to DSE's headers when running their subframe. I don't recall off the top of my head, but it should be pretty easy to SEARCH or Google it.
Old 04-08-2017 | 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xEtherealx
Can you talk about why you chose the Restomod AC system, and also your compressor choice? I'm thinking about using a TBSS compressor and Restomod air in my build but I don't have any 'good' reasons for this, yet
we chose the Restomod hvac specifically due to its modular mixer door drives design. It will be replaced with a custom drive solution that uses the 5th gen stepper motors for compatibility oem hvac controller necessary to work with the 5th gen center stack hvac controls. The ctsv compressor was a natural choice due to lower placement and the fact that the ac operation will be the same component setup as 5th gen. Once complete will will evaluate efficiency and determine if the expansion valve will need to be converted to orfice tube style based on the late model architecture.
Old 04-09-2017 | 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Are you saying that you plan to replace the restomod mixer door servos with those from a 5th gen while retaining the rest of the assembly? That sounds pretty cool if so, I'd like to see that. I wonder though if it is possible to just wire the actuators up as-is; it wouldn't be crazy to think that they use a standard PWM signal for placement.
Old 04-10-2017 | 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Cryptonomad, looking for some info here:
how did your driveshaft angle work out with TR6060 with the modified Hooker cross-member?(I have same crossmember already) I wonder if I will have trans tunnel issues with out a modified tunnel like yours, it looks like it would sit higher? maybe its just difference in the mounts
also how did you get TR6060 shifter to come up so far forward when you extended it?(or was it shortened?) when the TR6060 shifter is 5.5" rearward of the T56?
Old 04-10-2017 | 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Cryptonomad, looking for some info here:
how did your driveshaft angle work out with TR6060 with the modified Hooker cross-member?(I have same crossmember already) I wonder if I will have trans tunnel issues with out a modified tunnel like yours, it looks like it would sit higher? maybe its just difference in the mounts
also how did you get TR6060 shifter to come up so far forward when you extended it?(or was it shortened?) when the TR6060 shifter is 5.5" rearward of the T56?
Sorry i missed your last question.

Where to start...We used a stock subframe..and there were many reasons for that...none to do with cost, but overall design requirements. First, we fully intended to use exhaust manifolds instead of headers, along with a quick ratio steering box vs RP, and low mounted AC/alternator. Most aftermarket subframes are rightly designed to place the engine low and rearward for weight distro and CG improvements. These designs leave little options on how to place engine, or choices of other components. We needed the engine placed a little higher and forward for Low AC/alternator mount and exhaust manifold clearance on steering box. Those requirements dictated engine placement. Second, using the OEM 6060 with the remote shifter was also a requirement for the methodology we followed for the 5th gen dash and console install. So the dash structure and console dictated where the shifter hole in the tunnel was located, and 2" extension structure was built off the trans to locate the shifter in the correct location. So to sum up our engine/trans rides a little high in the chassis, sacrificing traditional CG improvements (we are adding ****-ton of weight along with permanently low right height to help with CG...not traditional approach) and mandating hood modification. With that said the modified hooker trans crossmember was only modified to accept an OEM 6060 camaro mount. We have a 1/4" plate shim between the crossmember and mount to get to 3 degrees down on crank centerline, and leaves the whole driveline above the framerails. There is no way to get there without tunnel mods. Ours is raised 4" from the firewall to the back seats. Have never installed a DSE subframe, so i cant even speculate. We had very specific reasons for choosing all the components we used dictated by the theme of the car and determination of using only non-OEM pieces where we had no OEM alternative. I think i hit all your questions. if not let me know.
Old 04-11-2017 | 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Allrighty then! I currently have a LS6-T56 mounted on their now I didn't notice your engine mounts- I will go back and look and I really don't see an issue with it being raised some and forward I may see if I can go forward 1" as that may help mount a small Sanden compressor as AC isn't an option in Texas it's a requirement! and with the belt system these have that would be a major win. I did speak to Detroit speed and when they designed the frame there was no LSA or LS 7? IIRC . I believe the factory manifolds will allow my rack steering shaft to fit fine
next my transmission issue is the std T56 wont accept the LSA dual disc clutch so that will need to go and that leaves me with modifying the TR6060 and possibly using the T56 tail housing for shifter mounting but also requires a longer main shaft to allow a slip yoke to be used and of course the T56 is couple inches longer than the TR6060 man this has opened a whole can of worms for me! I really have to rethink this! thank you for taking the time to explain
final question : so you did move the shifter closer to the transmission, by how much?
Old 04-11-2017 | 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Allrighty then! I currently have a LS6-T56 mounted on their now I didn't notice your engine mounts- I will go back and look and I really don't see an issue with it being raised some and forward I may see if I can go forward 1" as that may help mount a small Sanden compressor as AC isn't an option in Texas it's a requirement! and with the belt system these have that would be a major win. I did speak to Detroit speed and when they designed the frame there was no LSA or LS 7? IIRC . I believe the factory manifolds will allow my rack steering shaft to fit fine
next my transmission issue is the std T56 wont accept the LSA dual disc clutch so that will need to go and that leaves me with modifying the TR6060 and possibly using the T56 tail housing for shifter mounting but also requires a longer main shaft to allow a slip yoke to be used and of course the T56 is couple inches longer than the TR6060 man this has opened a whole can of worms for me! I really have to rethink this! thank you for taking the time to explain
final question : so you did move the shifter closer to the transmission, by how much?
We extended the remote shifter 2" to locate further back off the trans. As far as I've seen, we're the only ones using the remote shifter in first gen application. I've seen them converted to top mounted like t56 though.
Old 04-14-2017 | 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

awesome build man, and that ain't saying enough! any update photos or color on it yet?
Old 05-20-2017 | 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Off to paint this week...a few months late!

Old 05-20-2017 | 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi John, where's that hood from? How do you like the fit?
Old 05-20-2017 | 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Motown 454
Hi John, where's that hood from? How do you like the fit?
its an off the shelf hardwood. The fit is perfect. Only trimmed around the back over the cowl. The steel one was caddywamped and no amount of reasonable adjustment could help the front sheetmetal gaps. The only issue I have overall is where it bolts to the hinges is not parallel To the hinges. It's kinda angled out, so the bolts bind and it's hard to get fine adjustments. We're using billet hinges, so I loosened up the bolts in the pivots for now. After it's back from paint, we will angle mill the tops of the tops of the hinges for a relaxed fit on the mating surface.

Quick Reply: 68 Camaro LSA/TR6060 '13 ZL1 interior retro-fit