Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Fluid and Filter Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The other day while was changing the oil, I decided to change the transmission fluid for the third time. I did it three times because the transmission had never been serviced.
The first time I dropped the pan and replaced the filter, the second time I replaced the pan with a pan with a drain plug.

Changing the fluid with a drain plug was a real time saver! I drained and refilled the transmission in about 15 min. The plug with magnet did its job and collected a small amount of metallic material.

From now on the interval will be every third oil change or 9k miles. $17 every 9k miles is very cheap insurance. This interval will be every year to year and a half because the car is only driven on the weekends...

Old 07-04-2016, 05:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Two years have past and my transmission is still running strong.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I changed the oil today, I decided to change the transmission fluid for a fourth time. It has only been about 2000 miles since I changed it last time and I know I am never changing all of the fluid.

Anyway, the fluid was brighter and clearer compared to the first change.
Also note the magnet. It certainly did its job and collected metallic particles and it's nice to be able to clean the magnet without removing the pan.

Here is the first change at about 65k miles. The latest change is at 71k miles. Yep, she is a garage queen!

Last edited by bgw70; 03-25-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There wasn't anything wrong with your trans years ago. ALL transmission make some trash"AKA dirty fluid" It's best if it stays pink but sometimes it doesn't. Its when the bottm of your pan is black is when your going to need a rebuild. Changing it every 15-20K is the way to go unless your beating the **** out of it or you live on a dirt road. Some people think it need a flushing......I think if you treat it right a regular fluid change is fine
Old 03-25-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
There wasn't anything wrong with your trans years ago. ALL transmission make some trash"AKA dirty fluid" It's best if it stays pink but sometimes it doesn't. Its when the bottm of your pan is black is when your going to need a rebuild. Changing it every 15-20K is the way to go unless your beating the **** out of it or you live on a dirt road. Some people think it need a flushing......I think if you treat it right a regular fluid change is fine
You are so correct in my book!!!

This is my toy, had her for three years now and brought her back to a "good condition" level. She runs good and drives nice!
I like to change the fluids based on time vs miles. In the three years I have had her, I only drove 7100 miles and in the last year, only 1200 miles!
My son told me I will give him a low mileage T/A someday! LoL!!!

When I did the PS fluid today, I replaced it with Valvoline MaxLife and was very happy with the results.

Last edited by bgw70; 12-12-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Fluid and Filter Refresh