Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Latest track passes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think he's had issues with it bogging down low lately so he is trying to create a hair more spin so it won't bog.

Correct me if in wrong, pray
Old 03-22-2017, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Think he's had issues with it bogging down low lately so he is trying to create a hair more spin so it won't bog.

Correct me if in wrong, pray
You are correct. I was going up on tire pressure to get it to spin out of the hole but recover without wheel hop. You usually need air pressure for that. This wheel/tire combo is bad *** and once you turn them over for even a second in the burn out box there is no way to spin them off the line on the stock converter. I was trying to spin through the converter lock up so I would hit the power band at 3,600. Right now I think I spend almost .9 from the moment I hit the gas till I am actually past 2,700rpm and making real power. I will post a photo of what I am talking about later. It sucks.

Hio, I will answer your question in a bit when I get a free sec.

Last edited by Pray; 03-22-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
That's crazy. You would think any one of those would make a noticeable change. Did you get it to go wot on launch yet?
No I have not figured out the TB opening rate deal yet. It turns out that the computer is hard wired to keep the TB opening rate in as a linier staged event to keep the best low rpm velocity going through the TB. I haven't figured out how to defeat that yet.

I honestly think at this point I am up against some hidden TQ tables in the ECM or TCM that I can't get to. I have raised the tables I can find up 33% to compensate for my power gains. I have calculated my gains off of the dyno graphs to be between 25-27% by raw data and the rest is a buffer I assume is allotted in the stock tune. But I am hitting a calculated wall. This to me explains why large timing and fueling changes are not showing gains on the dyno. I am at or above the allowed limit so what ever I do now doesn't show up.

With E in the car it doesn't effect the calculated PIDs for tq management since E works in the combustion chamber as a cooler and octane booster to create the power. I am able to run a few more degrees of timing on E which could be the final straw on the calculated TQ equation. As far as I can tell the computer uses MAP, MAF, Spark, IAT temp and to a small degree the Coolant temp to calculated DYNCYL which calculates the TQ model. The DYNCYL line exactly matches my TQ line on the dyno graph as a visual representation of what is going on.

At the track I was seeing some TB closure at the top of the rpm range and on shift recovery. It was closing the blade up to 16% on shifts with all the TCM TQ management turned off. The ECM/TCM shouldn't have the ability to do this at that point. As I added and subtracted fuel in some areas going down the track I was seeing the DYNCYL follow suit showing gains but then the TB blade would close and a bit negating the gains. I didn't have time to raise the ECM TQ limits at the track to see if that took care of it. I don't see the TB closure on the street in 3rd gear pulls and I leave all the TCM TM in on shifts as to not beat up the trans. With the TCM TM all in it drops out the timing during the shift up to 20* and closes the TB blade up to 60% during shift recovery after timing comes back in. This car double whammies you on shifts to protect it's self. I have some more tables to mess with once I get HPT rolling with it's new BETA version. The original adjustments were made on a car with a MSD IM which makes no where near the TQ my ported IM/TB make. Oh the joys of figuring out a new platform.

Once I get a converter in the car I am expecting to see low 1.5 or high 1.4 60fts and an overall reduction of .3 to .4 tenths. That will make this a solid 10 second bolt on car for sure. If I can squeeze out another 15-20rw with TM tuning and cut outs this car is going to be a rocket for what it is.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

Yea you're getting it handled. I was just curious if you had fixed that yet. When that thing can get to and stay wot i would think it will pick up pretty good.

Phils 5gen had tq limiters everywhere. It was insane. He just found another the other day. He maxes them out now and says eff it. Pre tuning it was seeing up 8* on every shift then slowly bleeding that off. In lower gears there wasn't even time to bleed it off. It would make sense something like that is happening on you end to since you can make a wide range of changes with little to no change in results.

I think the reason alot of these cammed cars don't seem to perform as well as they should has alot to do with some people not getting rid of all the tq limiters.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Not to thread hijack, Hio, out of curiosity, what RPM do you make peak HP and TQ? I know you know what you're doing so I am genuinely asking because my bro and I are throwing around some ideas for his car and were talking about LS1/LS6 stuff. You said you shift about 6900, IIRC.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

With the rockers it seems to hit peak power earlier. About 6150 and be pretty much flat till 6500 where the pull stopped. Should ran it out a bit more.

With out the rockers it peaked a little later....like 6300 and was pretty much flat till 6700.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Damn so you go through the traps at like 7k then huh ?

Pretty wild on a stock cam
Old 03-23-2017, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

I go through at 6600-6700. Typically shift at 6900. Strange part is all the shift calcs I've used said i should be shifting at 7200-7300. Next time on the dyno I'm gonna run it out to that and see how it looks.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pray, there is a Beta for HPTuners right now that's supposed to help with some torque management issues. On the manual D1SC 6G I've helped on it was causing it to shut throttle over 3500rpm on launch. May or may not be related to your issue.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Pray, there is a Beta for HPTuners right now that's supposed to help with some torque management issues. On the manual D1SC 6G I've helped on it was causing it to shut throttle over 3500rpm on launch. May or may not be related to your issue.
I friend of mine went through them for his car and we put them in my car but they are not perfect for my combo. I finally caved in and got a HPT cable so I will be getting the Beta lined out soon and get the entire car dialed in. We will see how it all pans out.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
I wish I was. This car has a wide range that it runs the same in. I have changed fuel a full point on the dyno and it doesn't matter (12.0-13.0), I have changed timing up to 5* on the dyno in certain places and it doesn't matter (22*-27*). I have changed shift points by 800rpm in some gears at the track and it doesn't matter. As long as I have the parameters dialed in for the weather there isn't much to be had. Basically when ever I run the first pass I can count on not running much better than .03 with a lot of work. To make any real gains at the track I have to be on point with launch technique, fueling, spark, and shift points. This may be because I do a ton of street tuning and I pretty much have the car dialed in now but it is what it is at the track.
I have researched a little about e85. So I have to ask a question. Isn't e85 supposed to be run much fatter than gasoline?
Old 04-04-2017, 04:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TT427
I have researched a little about e85. So I have to ask a question. Isn't e85 supposed to be run much fatter than gasoline?
I don't know bro, unless my WB and the dyno's that I use WB's are way off then the car is the fastest and makes the most power around 13.0. I have run the gamut on AFR and Timing on both. What are you reading is the proper AFR.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know bro, unless my WB and the dyno's that I use WB's are way off then the car is the fastest and makes the most power around 13.0. I have run the gamut on AFR and Timing on both. What are you reading is the proper AFR.
their is a chart here and lambda conversions in this thread. I could be reading that info incorrectly though. It wouldn't be the first time lol. That's why I ask the questions though....

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293680#/topics/293680?page=1
Old 04-04-2017, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't click the link but I know what you are saying. The stoich for E is much lower. But everyone that I know that runs it has the best luck at 12.7-13.0. The more guys I talk to though it seems that I am not leaning on it hard enough with timing. I am down about 3-5* depending on the weather.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't click the link but I know what you are saying. The stoich for E is much lower. But everyone that I know that runs it has the best luck at 12.7-13.0. The more guys I talk to though it seems that I am not leaning on it hard enough with timing. I am down about 3-5* depending on the weather.
hmm, maybe the difference of being calibrated or not for E on the WB??? Just trying to wrap my head around this and thought I would ask... so is your WB setup for gas or E? If it's still reading for gas than you would convert per the formula ( I think) which would put you much richer technically.. That would make more sense to me. Thanjs for answering any questions and good luck with whatever direction you go next
Old 04-04-2017, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Weird. Maybe because I'm on a phone but it doesn't link for me either, but highlight and copy then paste to address bar it work.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum#/topics/293680?page=1
Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Is this what you were tryin to get here

Old 04-04-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes sir that's it...
Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You raise a good point. My WB is still on gas. It has E at 9.0 so it is looking for 100%. I basically tune for max power on what ever is in the car regardless of where the WB lands and use that as my target.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You raise a good point. My WB is still on gas. It has E at 9.0 so it is looking for 100%. I basically tune for max power on what ever is in the car regardless of where the WB lands and use that as my target.
nice, that makes sense in my head. Probs didn't help you any but I think i understand the E vs Gas thing with a WB now. Got a Huron kit I'm putting on now and intend on a forged 370 after "learning" on the stock engine. E is something pretty common locally so it's become an option for what is my toy now and not my dd. Thanks again for answering questions. Still some good guys on here...

Quick Reply: Latest track passes.