Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

SBC into 95 lt1 Firebird ** video added 12/19/13**

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds Awesome!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by nos487
Sounds Awesome!
what headers fit the sbc in fbody I'm doing same swap
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nos487: Thanks man, It sounds awesome in person!!!

986.0ta: Standard LT1 headers will bolt right up to a SBC wit no problems. I went with the e-bay stainless ones and they fit perfect and for the price you cant beat them! Speed engineering is selling LT1 stainless headers that look nice also... Just make sure that you get a exhaust gasket for a Lt1 also if your headers done come with them, it has a D shaped port so a standard SBC gasket will leak

Last edited by Rebob5; 04-20-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Just a quick update, Ive got about 500 miles on the car right now and is a blast to drive!! It likes rpm's and pulls like a bear from 3000-7500 Im surprised as well with the gas mileage that I get with it, I work 52 miles round trip from home to work and back and my car gets just about as good of gas mileage as my 09 silverado gets.... and thats with a 750 ultra HP carb LOL
Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 AM

Default Help!

She looks amazing man and sounds ridiculous! Im wanting to do this same job but mine will be into a 99 Camaro! I got a 350 lt1 out of a 94 caprice I wanna rebuild and put her in but I've never worked on a older engine internally and need help choosing the right rebuild kit, choosing the right cam and all that good stuff., for performance.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man!!! Im not really sure what way you should go on that build. I decided to go with the old school small block just because I had lots of parts to choose from at work to do my build.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:10 AM

Changed my mind about my swap and im gonna gonna go oldschool carb, was already running into alot of problems with what i had planned.. But anyways i wanted to ask where you bought your custom gauge cluster, its pretty badass, and i cant find one anywhere!!! Thanks man and your build is inspiring, i bet you love driving it every single day!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Haven't Updated this thread in awhile!! Car is still running awesome, Nothing has really changed much on it other than the Ignition box. I had a digital 6al in it and was having issues with it not wanting to start so I swapped that out for a 6aln and it fires up every time. Its tucked away in the garage for the winter but cant wait to get it out again next summer. Im thinking that a 6 or 8 pt roll cage is next on the list

Shredda: Sorry for not replying, I actually did the cluster myself. I got a piece of lexan and mounted my gauges in that... it wasnt bad to do!

https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...aa&oe=56737E5B

Last edited by Rebob5; 12-17-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Quick update, it's still running like a beast. After my issue with my old carb I decided to add a fuel filter right before the carb just to be safe. I also did some work and replaced my old smaller air cleaner and went with a 14x3 air cleaner it should be able to breathe plenty of air now. I've drove it about 500 miles so far this summer and hoping to get another 500 more out of it before winter gets here!!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Teching In

hey Bob, what line fittings are those you used? is that still the stock poly fuel lines with ferrule AN fittings?

Im getting ready to do the same swap from the LT1 to a SBC and trying to pull info from your build.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Hey! yep those the stock fuel lines with adapters. Those hard line to an adapters, I used a holley bypass regulator to go from a electric fuel pump to carb. I wired the fuel pump to a toggle switch and just manually turn the pump on and it will bypass what fuel it doesn't need back to the tank. My engine made 535 hp and the stock pump keeps up, I never see a fuel pressure drop on my gauge and the wideband stays steady. I think I have the packages for all the stuff, Ill see if i can find some part numbers
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Quick update, Changed the exhaust up some and went with a nascar boom tube setup, It sounds absolutely evil!!!! Im surprised I haven't been pulled over for it yet, Cops in NY must like loud exhausts LOL!!!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Started on the next step of my build, over the winter I bought a 8 point weld in roll cage and today it was decent outside so I decided to get started. I remover the complete interior to get ready for the cage install. It wasn't very hard to do, in about a hour and a half I had everything out and found about $5 in change lol. Next step is to get the main hoop in and start fitting everything else!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Cage is all welded up and installed in the car! It was definitely a project... had to do a lot of cutting and notching to get everything to fit. The next project is trying to figure out how to get the carpet around the bars lol. It came out really good, I just ordered a couple of carbon fiber bar protectors for the door bars so I don't rub the paint off them. Hoping to have it all back to gether soon!
Old 04-30-2017, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Finally got it all done, that was a project and a half but the end result is awesome! Time to drive it now!!!!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Awesome build man, in the middle of getting all my ducks in a row for a similar set up. Got a few questions, what fuel pump are you running, I know obviously the stock EFI pump puts out about 5x more PSI than a carb set up needs, is there a pump that would drop in the stock hanger, maybe a TBI pump from a third gen? I'm not going for big power, the first part of this build is alll about cheap, so it's just getting a vortec headed LT4 hotcam gen one roller for the moment. Also, what did you do about steering, couldn't tell exactly if you kept P/S or not.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks! It's been a fun build so far. I was running the stock in tank fuel pump with a bypass regulator and that actually worked really well. I'm making 535 hp and it never missed a beat, always had rock solid fuel pressure even at 7500 rpm. I recently upgraded my fuel system, I went with a Holley hp electric pump thats good for 900 carbureted hp and ran a 8an braided feed like and 8an braided return line back to my tank and that setup has been working flawless so far. For power steering I found AN fittings that went into the stock steering rack and I plumbed that into a power steering pump that we use on our circle track racecars around here, there's a picture of just the motor in my garage towards the beginning of this thread and you can see the pump I'm using. Next step is a 9" rear and some bigger front rotors and calipers!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Thanks! It's been a fun build so far. I was running the stock in tank fuel pump with a bypass regulator and that actually worked really well. I'm making 535 hp and it never missed a beat, always had rock solid fuel pressure even at 7500 rpm. I recently upgraded my fuel system, I went with a Holley hp electric pump thats good for 900 carbureted hp and ran a 8an braided feed like and 8an braided return line back to my tank and that setup has been working flawless so far. For power steering I found AN fittings that went into the stock steering rack and I plumbed that into a power steering pump that we use on our circle track racecars around here, there's a picture of just the motor in my garage towards the beginning of this thread and you can see the pump I'm using. Next step is a 9" rear and some bigger front rotors and calipers!
Hell yea man, that's awesome! What bypass regulator do you run? If that's the case I'll leave my tank alone for the moment and do something similar to your's with the ferule fittings and AN adapters. My combo should be right in the 400ish range, at least this go around. Going for a quick budget build to get it up and running and then look into more serious things later. I saw that pump hanging off your engine but wasn't sure if it was a vacuum pump or P/S pump. I guess should be able to set up an older v-belt style to work with the right adapters etc. On your cage, did you go chrome molly or mild steal?
Old 05-29-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

im running a Holley 12-841 bypass regulator on my setup, I had -6an inlet and return into the regulator from the stock lines and ran a -8an feed line to the carb and never had a issue with pressure. For my cage I went with mild steel, I would have liked the chrome moly for the reduced weight but the cost was a lot more and I couldn't justify it for my sunday driver lol
Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got another couple of questions about accessories, what style water pump are you running, long or short? What alternator are you running, looks like an Si series with a v belt pulley, and I know you said you're using a circle track p/s pump with I assume a remote reservoir, do you think an older v belt pump and reservoir would work/fit? Thanks again!

Quick Reply: SBC into 95 lt1 Firebird ** video added 12/19/13**