Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

WS6/WS9 Fiberglass Hoods - Best Manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6/WS9 Fiberglass Hoods - Best Manufacturer

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to the car scene or F bodies. My first 5 cars were 78 Camaro, 79 Camaro, 79 Camaro, 85 Iroc Z, and a 84 Firebird (v6 daily driver).

I sold my last "toy" in 2002 and have looked to buy it back for tye last 15 years to no avail, so the war department (wife) told me to go find something new to take my mind off the old one.... You don't need to tell me twice!

After lots of looking at 80s Irocs and GTA's, i realized the nice ones were out of my range and the cheap ones needed so much work, they may as well be expensive.

I landed on 5 Trans Ams from 1997-2001. One was rickity as hell and its steering wheel moved left and right, so that was axed. The 2nd one looked like he went through a forest with it and the next 2 the dealers wouldn't budge on their 5000 overprice, so I landed on a nice 1998 non WS6 Trans Am. This car has 112k miles, but drove like it was brand new. No squeeks, rattles thunks or buzzes and everything was exceptionally clean.... Black with charcoal interior... All for 7300.

My price range was 10k, so that left room for upgrades. I don't care for the stock 16" wheels on the TAs, so those are on the list and also a stereo head unit upgrade to replace the tape player Monsoon.

My main question is the WS6 or WS9 hoods. Ive looked at your forum as well as other forums and although a OEM seems to be the best option, i can't do one for under $1500 it seems, so I was looking through the aftermarket BOLT ON ones by brands like Harwood, VFN, and other brands.

My question is has anyone had issues with them not being sturdy enough in the hood latch area where the paint would crack, etc? Which brand seems to be the best fitting/most stable and which have been nightmares for people?

I talked to a guy at a car show Once who had replaced his stock WS6 Hood with an aftermarket ws9 hood and he said after 2 years and having to repaint It 2 times in the hood latch area he took it back off and went back to a Stock hood.

I'm not going to be doing any engine modifications other than probably a set of headers (it has a Magnaflow system from the cats back). It's going to be just a driver for some fun on the weekends.

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 05-10-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

I went with the TruFiber WS6 hood from the WS6store and have no regrets. The main reason I went with TruFiber is the great deal the WS6store gives you (~$540 with free freight shipping), also that the TruFiber comes with heat extractors in the rear.

The hood lines up great for being after market as well, I've genuinely surprised people when they found out it wasn't OEM.

The only complaint I have about the hood is that it rubs against the top of my SLP lid. To the point where it rubbed the paint off of the underside of the hood. And that is with the smaller non-ws6 lower airbox as well.

Here's my most recent picture of it. I can provide more pics of the fitment and extractors if you'd like.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While no vendor is perfect, vfn does pretty good
Old 05-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Nice looking machine Corey. Love the fatass stance in the back. I'm hoping to get something close without having rubbing issues.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I got my hood from apm automotive it is very sturdy and heavy duty. If i had it to do over again i might have gotten a carbon fiber hood but i want a functional ram air hood
Old 05-12-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokkaholik
Nice looking machine Corey. Love the fatass stance in the back. I'm hoping to get something close without having rubbing issues.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: WS6/WS9 Fiberglass Hoods - Best Manufacturer