Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I did take it to the track last night, apparently mostly to watch it rain for the most part..... I did get 1 run in just before the rain came..... It was a very clean run with no issues, the log from the run looked very good..... It ran better then I thought it would although it looks like the converter is a little on the loose side..... Anyways here is the run, looks like I'll be upping the boost some and doing some more testing.....

Old 05-21-2017, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been doing some testing(not at the track since weather has not been good in the evenings) and I believe I have found the limits of the Aeromotive Stealth 340lph in tank pump even with a boost-a-pump..... I had the boost turned up to 14.5lbs and approximately E42 fuel(fuel pressure was a steady 58psi), everything looked really good so I decided to turn it up some more.....

It is now making 17.8lbs and the fuel is up too E62, and this is where it all goes bad..... Fuel pressure went to 59psi pretty much as soon as the tps got to 100%, and then the fuel pressure fell to 29psi, injector duty cycle went from 80% to 122%, target air fuel was 11.0 - actual air fuel went to almost 17..... I was lucky because it was a full throttle blip from a 10mph roll and less then 2 seconds, the tires were spinning so there was no heavy load..... The car seemed to be running fine..... This morning I checked everything, drove it around and gave it a quick blip from 15 or 20 mph, same thing the fuel pressure went to 59 and then the bottom fell out.....

Now the dilemma is how I am going to fix this issue, the easy way is to put a Walbro 450 in tank E85 pump in..... Problem is will that be enough..... The other option it to go to a Magnafuel 4303 or something similar, I know some guys have had good luck with these and they don't need a controller..... The problem with this is I will either have to go to a sumped tank or fuel cell..... What to do, what to do!!!!!
Old 05-21-2017, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dual 450, second brought on at pressure else it'll overheat the fuel. Or could just add a 450 to what you have, dump the boost a pump imo. What are you using for an FPR?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Dual 450, second brought on at pressure else it'll overheat the fuel. Or could just add a 450 to what you have, dump the boost a pump imo. What are you using for an FPR?
I have a tanks inc. tank, 1 pump barely fits through the hole..... The fpr is a Holley Billet HP, I believe it's a 12-846.....
Old 05-21-2017, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other possibility for fuel flow - brushless pump with a controller. Silly Rabbit Motorsports sells both pump and controller for them. Sean is a good guy, tell him I sent you. A single pump flows close to dual 450 I believe but it's not cheap. This is the sort of pump you find in a Veyron and it's compact. I know he sells them standalone as well as part of fuel systems he sells but I couldn't quote a cost.

You could run a swirl pot aka surge tank. It's a small tank fed from the main tank with high pressure pumps in it. Fed by high volume low pressure pumps with a float switch. Radium makes one but I'm betting you could fab one easily!

Not familiar with the regulator. Not sure I've ever seen one flow too much, usually see them too restrictive and cause pressure to go up.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info..... My thought on the regulator are the same, pressure usually goes up if they are a restriction..... I knew the pump was questionable when I decided to go E85, that's why I added the BAP.....
Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Holley also has a line of brushless pumps and controller. As of last year, the controller could only run the pump 100 or 50%, but eventually (this may be true already) you will be able to tune the pump output through the EFI software. In other words, command PWM duty cycle based on RPM and Load (MAP).

Andrew
Old 05-22-2017, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Holley also has a line of brushless pumps and controller. As of last year, the controller could only run the pump 100 or 50%, but eventually (this may be true already) you will be able to tune the pump output through the EFI software. In other words, command PWM duty cycle based on RPM and Load (MAP).

Andrew
I'll look in to it, I have to decide what I want to do and get started.....
Old 05-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

If you all think this car looks great online, it looks even better in person. Frank's work is impeccable.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If you all think this car looks great online, it looks even better in person. Frank's work is impeccable.
Thanks my friend, I try to put together quality ride.....
Old 05-31-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have started the parts collections for the fuel system upgrades...... After much research I have decided to go with the Holley Dominator 12-1800-2 Dual Pump, it seems to be the best fit for my application..... I am currently waiting for the pump, filters and a bunch of fittings to come..... I did pick up a really nice Scott Drake Stainless Steel 20 Gallon tank for a 69 Mustang, it fits in the same hole as the 16 gallon 65 Stang tank the car currently has in it..... I am making a sump to weld on the tank, it's cut out in flat form right now(just waiting for fittings so I can drill it then bend it up and final fit it).....

Here's a couple pic's of the tank.....

Old 06-10-2017, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A little update..... I bailed on the Holley pump, it wasn't going to fit where I wanted to put it and I don't want it to far from the tank sump..... So I have a Fuelab Pump on the way..... I have been working on the car a little, I changed the muffler mount to include bushings so it won't carry as much noise in the car( I also wrapped the muffler to help quiet noise transfer through the case).....

When I remove the old gas tank and capped the feed lines I didn't tighten the cap on the bulkhead fitting and it seeped fuel on to the inner trunk panel and screwed up the paint a little..... So today I got it sanded down, touched up the bare metal with black and applied some trunk spatter paint to the area(tomorrow I will clear coat that area).....

I have also been working the new gas tank..... I made a sump for it, fitted it to the tank marked the mounting area and put some holes in it for fuel transfer into the sump..... I modified a 12 an weld on stainless fitting for the sump, I cut the taper off it to convert it to an o-ring fitting so I can screw my filter directly to it..... I also opened up the ID to 11/16 and radiused the inlet side for better fuel flow..... I put a hole in the top of the tank for a weld in an vent fitting..... I also cut down a 3" to 3.5" transition pipe to fit the weld ring of my new filler cap assy.....

I was remove the rear of my fuel lines for rerouting and damaged one when the clamp bolt stuck..... so I removed the line and the fittings off it..... This is when I noticed something not good about the Redhorse fittings I am using..... The part of the hose end where it goes into the hose only has a .230 id which I thought seemed small for a -6 fitting, I happened to have a Russell -6 hose end, the id on that fitting was .267 which still seems a little small but when you do the math that is still 33.8% more area for flow..... So now I am removing all the Redhorse fittings from my fuel system and going to replace them with Russell stuff..... This is a substantial difference without changing line sizes, and trust me I have checked all the fittings/hose in the system for id.....

Here are some pic's of the gas tank/sump and modifications so far.....

Old 06-11-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Thats' at fancy lid for a coffee cup. LOL.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Making progress slowly, I have been in no big hurry with all the rain we have been getting lately..... I got the filler welded together, fitted to the tank and welded on..... The vent fitting is welded on, and everything has been cleaned up and the sump is tacked in place.....

There are still no fuel lines in the car since I removed the old ones...... There are some fittings in place and some more on order...... The fuel pump, filter element and more fitting will be here this week.....

I also have started tearing the trunk area apart so I can rearrange some of the wiring since the pump will now be on the driver side under the car.....

Here's what the tank looks like.....

Here's what under the hood is looking like.....

and here's what the trunk is looking like.....

Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Fuel tank is looking good!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 408GT
Fuel tank is looking good!
Thanks, it's getting there..... I am ready for this thing to be running again!!!!!
Old 06-25-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been making progress slowly, I haven't been in a big hurry because we have been getting tons of rain lately..... The tank is done and leak tested..... I have everything now to complete it except for a couple fittings which I will be ordering when I am done here.....

This weekend I got the mounting bracket for the fuel pump made, painted and installed..... I also got all the fuel lines under the car made up and installed(except the one from the tank to the pump, need fittings)..... Next weekend I will get to work on rearranging the wiring in the trunk area and get the fuel lines made up under the hood if time allows.....

Here's the fuel pump bracket, the assembly and installed in the car.....

Here with the tank mocked up, all the under car fuel lines and one showing how little will show from the rear(I got the pump as low as the tank but was able to keep almost all of it behind the rear valence).....

Old 07-03-2017, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the trunk wiring all rearranged for the new fuel pump/tank this weekend..... Getting closer.....

Here's some progress pic's.....

Old 07-08-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everything is back together in the back end of the car now..... Need to get all the fuel lines maid tomorrow and it should run again..... Let's hope anyways......

Here's the trunk and under the rear of the car all wrapped up!!!!!

Old 07-09-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Looking good Frank...

Is that Holley filter just hanging by the fitting? I would want to support it somehow as vibration can easily fatigue that fitting and eventually leak. Maybe braze a couple of nuts to the tank and use big adel clamps to support the body of the filter?

Andrew

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....