Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

5.3 LC9 AFM DOD Cam issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Fwiw if you are doing the afm delete you will want to address a few things. Use the l92 valley cover on. Its not expensive and good insurance. Also make sure id your oil pump is vane style to swap it out for a reg georotor style like the reg ls6 pump.

We have dod lifters avail in sets of 4 for WAY cheaper than gm also. IF you are going to keep them.

We also have a hi flo oil pump that is better than the ls6 for less $$ as well.

For reference the l92 valley cover (complete with gaskets, o rings, and bolts) runs about $50. Gets rid of the screen and all the leaky/clogged solenoid bs and you wont have to worry about them. i actually like to go a step further and plug the towers just in case.
If you plug the towers, is there still a need to change valley covers?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

Honestly i would as you are still allowing a path for oil to leak/go even if the solenoids arent working, plus you can eliminate the screen that can clog as well.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Honestly i would as you are still allowing a path for oil to leak/go even if the solenoids arent working, plus you can eliminate the screen that can clog as well.

For $50, it probably does make sense to change valley cover when deleting AFM.

As of now, I still plan to restore AFM operation to my truck.

I do not see the AFM lifters on WS6 Store website.

Are they there and I missed them? If so, please send link.

What brand are they and are they the latest design?

If link is not permitted, please send me a PM.

Thanks, Joel
Old 06-26-2017, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

Link is permitted, we just have not listed them yet. These are brand new lifters not 3 yrs old backstock.
Gm lifters are around $60++ for one, ours are $40 per. we only sell them in sets of 4 though as that is how they are boxed and honestly how they should be replaced. youve got the head off, you may as well do all 4. we even have brand new afm lifter trays as well. $8 a piece for them.
The install kit for them is pretty inexpensive also, $75 - 85 per head for valve cover gasket, mls head gasket, head bolts, mls exhaust manifold gasket.
We can even include 4 ls7 lifters for one head or 8 for a "complete" afm engine set for not much more.

These are the lifters
Old 03-25-2018, 11:29 PM

Okay I have an 07 Suburban number 6 cylinder has 30 lb of compression really looking to do a motor swap what year range will work for that I found an 01 for a pretty decent price comes with harness and ECM is that a possibility if not what years will work
Old 03-26-2018, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Urangtang8t
Okay I have an 07 Suburban number 6 cylinder has 30 lb of compression really looking to do a motor swap what year range will work for that I found an 01 for a pretty decent price comes with harness and ECM is that a possibility if not what years will work
You need a Gen IV engine, which yours is, and about '07 on up. The computer and sensors are different. Earlier will not work
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 AM

Sounds like I'll just check into a and delete kit and fix it from failing again

Quick Reply: 5.3 LC9 AFM DOD Cam issues