Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusing gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Reusing gaskets

I have a 2000 suburban with the 5.3. It has a blown head gasket and is putting compression into the cooling system. I've done a few of these before and reused the intake, valve cover and throttle body gaskets. I leave the exhaust manifolds on the heads and check the heads with a straight edge and feeler gauge. I literally only replace the head gaskets and bolts.

The previous times that I've done this the engines were under 150k. This one has 250k but no leaks. I'm tempted to just replace the head gaskets and bolts and call it good. What do you guys think? I don't mind having to replace them but I'm a cheap bast..., a frugal man.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not chance it with 250k miles. I would say if your valve covers do not leak, you can reuse those gaskets. If the Throttle body gaskets is not flat, you can probably reuse that as well. I always replace intake gaskets unless they have less than 50k miles on them, if it leaks you have to go through the entire process of removing the intake again.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would tend to replace them all but since the TB, valve covers and intake are smaller jobs it's really a matter of your pain tolerance to take it apart again should they leak. For me, I really wouldn't chance it as I wouldn't want to go into again once it's back together.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

We have all those gaskets much cheaper than the local parts store or ebay etc. We ONLY sell the metal/rubber cathedral intake gaskets...much MUCH cheaper than the parts store. They retail for $85+++ we have them for $40.
Let me know if you want a quote!

You can see the diff
Reg plastic

HD metal and rubber

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 07-27-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Reusing gaskets