Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

2000 firebird - VFN WSQ Hood - Just bought - seems warped right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017 | 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Here is where i am after speaking with the tech 2 different times... pretty much good except the front hood nose needs to be sanded in a better angle, which will bring the hood down some again.... then its just fixing the other nose points to line up...

as you can see from the safety latch, i had to cut down this far for it to pivot enough to be released...
Attached Thumbnails 2000 firebird - VFN WSQ Hood - Just bought - seems warped right?-20170802_101059.jpg   2000 firebird - VFN WSQ Hood - Just bought - seems warped right?-20170802_101109.jpg   2000 firebird - VFN WSQ Hood - Just bought - seems warped right?-20170802_101129.jpg   2000 firebird - VFN WSQ Hood - Just bought - seems warped right?-20170802_101136.jpg   2000 firebird - VFN WSQ Hood - Just bought - seems warped right?-20170802_101211.jpg  

2000 firebird - VFN WSQ Hood - Just bought - seems warped right?-20170802_101219.jpg  
Old 08-02-2017 | 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Unless it's a factory hood, every aftermarket hood will always need some tweaking. I tried to point him to all the places that can be tweaked to fix the gap and lower the hood. If he was local I would have no problem stopping by and helping.

I have over 20 hours with fitting the hood and there are still more that can be had. After you get the bumper cover pulled up and locked into place, then you can mess with grinding the bumper to create equal gaps. The raised area of the bumper between the nostrils and headlight covers are the easiest part to fix. Just need to figure out the correct shim thickness

I'm happy with the fitment of my hood, it just takes time, patience and an eye. Only thing that I wasn't happy with was the airbox / base deal because I cannot utilize the nostrils like I wanted to. And the fact that my driver corner drops perfectly in place in the heat of the day, and raises up slightly above the bumpstop when it's cool at night and I cannot for the life of me raise that corner of my fender and bumper. I'm missing something but haven't had time. The driver side at night when it's cool seems to have gotten better over time. I even tried the weight / over bending technique.

That last pic, I would move your latch on the hood more centered so it doesn't try to pull the hood to one side, unless that is what is needed to align it correctly.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 08-02-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2017 | 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate all the feedback and pictures BlackDuk98.... yea i had to move the latch over to the drivers side to pull the drivers side front down more... i am almost happy where the hood is supposed to be.....but i am going to let a car shop finish the final adjustments and sanding before they paint it.....
Old 08-03-2017 | 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Be careful regarding your headlight covers. I mentioned it above but remembered to snap a pic tonight. Make sure that your headlights open without hitting the covers on the rear bracket. I had to lower my driver side cover pretty substantialy and if I didn't notch that bracket, they would have wrecked my covers. It's the dark painted spot in the pic. I just put some paint on to keep it covered and plan on restoring it all next season after all the bugs are worked out.

Old 01-14-2018 | 03:55 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
Unless it's a factory hood, every aftermarket hood will always need some tweaking. I tried to point him to all the places that can be tweaked to fix the gap and lower the hood. If he was local I would have no problem stopping by and helping.

I have over 20 hours with fitting the hood and there are still more that can be had. After you get the bumper cover pulled up and locked into place, then you can mess with grinding the bumper to create equal gaps. The raised area of the bumper between the nostrils and headlight covers are the easiest part to fix. Just need to figure out the correct shim thickness

I'm happy with the fitment of my hood, it just takes time, patience and an eye. Only thing that I wasn't happy with was the airbox / base deal because I cannot utilize the nostrils like I wanted to. And the fact that my driver corner drops perfectly in place in the heat of the day, and raises up slightly above the bumpstop when it's cool at night and I cannot for the life of me raise that corner of my fender and bumper. I'm missing something but haven't had time. The driver side at night when it's cool seems to have gotten better over time. I even tried the weight / over bending technique.

That last pic, I would move your latch on the hood more centered so it doesn't try to pull the hood to one side, unless that is what is needed to align it correctly.

That's too much money to be paying and then have to put that much time into a Hood like that. This was my only option because I have a crappy aftermarket ws6 hood I'm fighting right now to get lined up lol and this wsq his is even worse. I'll have to look at another hot option now. Hood is damn near a thousand dollars and you have to play with the headlight covers and all of that for it to fit well. If they come with a better fitment I may reconsider. This is terrible lol
Old 01-14-2018 | 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Good luck finding hoods that fit much better, you will always have to mess with headlight covers. Just wait till you get to motor and suspension..... I have had to modify and tweak almost every aftermarket part that had ever gone on the car. Hood may have took the longest, but was the easiest.

-Mark Jr.

Quick Reply: 2000 firebird - VFN WSQ Hood - Just bought - seems warped right?