Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Snapped strange axle in 2 Midwest chasing 9 inch

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017 | 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bobby5
I'm just telling you what strange told me and yes I did call them I don't know who you talked too I'm not the only one they broke on
You are correct axles can break for many different reasons, improper axel lengths, tire shake, to small of spline for application, improper install, and just pure unneeded abuse.

However Strange has always rated these axles to work in higher HP vehicles. Our Sales Rep and a very knowledgeable long time employee at Strange said there is no issue with using the street/strip axles in this application. We made these phone calls not to prove anyone wrong but to educate ourselves here at Midwest Chassis to always give the proper item and advice to our customers.

Like mentioning before these are the number one used axles since Strange has offered the S60 and 12-Bolt for the F-Body platform and other platforms. Also the same axles we have been using since at least '09 if not before. At this point in time we have sold a lot of our fabricated nine inches with these axles with out issue and trust me I mean a lot considering we are one of the top sellers of Strange Engineering's product.

Multiple customers running 1.3 or better 60' times and with one customer going bottom 8's with the same axles including like LASTLS1 mentioned he did before upgrading. I like to use a local customer with a GT500 that makes around 700whp and weighs no less than 3800 pounds. This car makes multiple passes a year and has had zero issues with the same axles.

I would suggest that once you get your new axles to properly measure them for length before installing them. A minimal amount to long can even make a huge issue if they are to long riding on the pin. If you are uncertain how please feel free to ask.

Last edited by MidwestChassis2; 08-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2017 | 09:23 PM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

I finally got ahold of strange and apparently the axles are street axles with the black S and apparently arnt recommend for slick cars. He said they'll more than likely break with a m6 and slicks. Wish I would've known this before hand I figured the rear was bullet proof. I went with Moser axles this time. Any of you slick stick cars with the street strange axles I'd be taking it easy on the launches because your running on borrowed time.
They told me the same thing. I have bent 2 sets now at 500 hp.

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2

However Strange has always rated these axles to work in higher HP vehicles. Our Sales Rep and a very knowledgeable long time employee at Strange said there is no issue with using the street/strip axles in this application. We made these phone calls not to prove anyone wrong but to educate ourselves here at Midwest Chassis to always give the proper item and advice to our customers.

Like mentioning before these are the number one used axles since Strange has offered the S60 and 12-Bolt for the F-Body platform and other platforms. Also the same axles we have been using since at least '09 if not before. At this point in time we have sold a lot of our fabricated nine inches with these axles with out issue and trust me I mean a lot considering we are one of the top sellers of Strange Engineering's product.
Well lets not get carried away here and state things like "without issue". You know I have had issues bending these axles in the rear end from you. I find it interesting that both you and Strange feel there is no issue running these in this application (same as mine) but at that time you both just wanted to push their race axles on me knowing its 90% street driven.
Old 08-12-2017 | 03:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by No Juice
They told me the same thing. I have bent 2 sets now at 500 hp.
I want to believe MWC and put the OP's failure down to his axles are the wrong length, that they were previously made for a spool. But now i read your experience with these axles, and also others on other forums, and im thinking possibly otherwise.

Where are you bending them? On the flanges?.. wheel runout? Because I've read others online have that issue also with the S/S axles. If this is the case, mine are probably on borrowed time with the full spool S60. Strange don't even sell their S60 complete with the S/S axles and spool, probably for that reason.

I don't understand how they can sell their S/S axles if they are bending on the flanges for people and call them streetable for 900hp. After you bend the first pair of S/S axles with only 500hp, you should know they are no good. I do not like bashing companies at all. Rarely i ever have, i gave TCI some **** one time online about 11 years ago about their ls1 4l60e super street fighter converter being junk, because it was, it was one of their first prototypes.

I purchased a Strange S60 this year in parts brand new and received one S/S axle that looks like it isn't heat treated properly whereas everyone elses S/S axles look proper and it made me angry because i'm overseas and i pay shipping plus taxes plus our exchange rate is crap. Well after reading more indepth people's experience with these axles, i didn't need bother care about the axles.. as i don't think they are good enough for our cars no matter if they look correct or not. I hope my S60 housing itself has no issues, because one guy had problems with the carrier bearings. I can live with if i just have to buy new axles.

If my S60 center did have issues, I'm using the tubes off it for the mounts and ends, and going to get a genuine Dana Corporation 60 from the junkyard from an old truck and get a chassis shop to weld the tubes in and running that instead... like many deep 8 and 7 sec 1/4 mile cars have and don't miss a beat. But it'll need a custom made torque arm mount. But it's doable.

I'm weary of strange products now. One guy said he bent the S/S axles on the flanges, and killed a carrier bearing, on his new S60 purchased from Strange, with only 400rwhp or so. And yes it was an fbody. He posted on another forum.

I care a little because this rear cost me 5k total by the time i got it here where i am. And i won't stop modding this car until it does high 8's in the 1/4 and streetable. I thought a Dana 60 is good for it. But Strange isn't Dana Corporation. Had i read about these issues prior, i would of steered clear, and bought a fab9 housing from someone else, and not used Strange S/S axles. I think their 40 spl race axles have no issue being abused on the street or track, as people's experience with them, but Strange imply otherwise and scare people.

So now if i had to do a rear axle over again, it'd be another 5-7k for me for a fab 9 by the time it's a complete rear axle, i'll have spent over 10k on rear axles. LOL. Thankfully there's Dana 60s for $350-$500 from trucks that i can use the center and have my tubes or at least the mounts welded on if i have issues with my S60. But it'll need a custom torque arm mount also. So knock on wood i don't have to go that way.

There are parts you can expect to fail, like an engine, even though you hope it doesn't. But a rear axle can easily be strong enough the FIRST time around, to take the abuse and not fail.. you just have to know which parts. I'd happily use Strange 40 spl race axles, in a fab9 housing, if i had known what i know now. But i no longer trust their S/S axles, or their S60 with their unique carrier bearing adjusters, as they have failed on people with 400rwhp.

You get any Dana 60 from a junkyard out of any truck that was a good runner, it is NOT going to toast a carrier bearing with 400rwhp. Or even break or bend a factory axle at that power level. (if it was a dana60 from a 2wd with normal type not floater car style axles)

The 60ft capability of these cars combined with the LSx on race tires wants to kill rear axles. We're in the year 2017 now, where a cam-only ls1/2 in a gutted 3rd or 4th gen can run 9's and 60ft in the 1.3's, and anything more serious like big bore lsx or turbo lsx's dip into the 8s and even 7sec 1/4s and be street driven.

I don't know why i listened to Strange that their S/S axles are good for 1000hp street cars. But i did. Probably because a lot of other companies who make race parts don't make statements like that unless they somewhat hold true most of the time. But these S/S axles failing in these cars with 400rwhp something isn't right.

Last edited by Launch; 08-12-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2017 | 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Launch
I want to believe MWC and put the OP's failure down to his axles are the wrong length, that they were previously made for a spool. But now i read your experience with these axles, and also others on other forums, and im thinking possibly otherwise.

Where are you bending them? On the flanges?.. wheel runout? Because I've read others online have that issue also with the S/S axles. If this is the case, mine are probably on borrowed time with the full spool S60. Strange don't even sell their S60 complete with the S/S axles and spool, probably for that reason.

I don't understand how they can sell their S/S axles if they are bending on the flanges for people and call them streetable for 900hp. After you bend the first pair of S/S axles with only 500hp, you should know they are no good. I do not like bashing companies at all. Rarely i ever have, i gave TCI some **** one time online about 11 years ago about their ls1 4l60e super street fighter converter being junk, because it was, it was one of their first prototypes.

I purchased a Strange S60 this year in parts brand new and received one S/S axle that looks like it isn't heat treated properly whereas everyone elses S/S axles look proper and it made me angry because i'm overseas and i pay shipping plus taxes plus our exchange rate is crap. Well after reading more indepth people's experience with these axles, i didn't need bother care about the axles.. as i don't think they are good enough for our cars no matter if they look correct or not. I hope my S60 housing itself has no issues, because one guy had problems with the carrier bearings. I can live with if i just have to buy new axles.

If my S60 center did have issues, I'm using the tubes off it for the mounts and ends, and going to get a genuine Dana Corporation 60 from the junkyard from an old truck and get a chassis shop to weld the tubes in and running that instead... like many deep 8 and 7 sec 1/4 mile cars have and don't miss a beat. But it'll need a custom made torque arm mount. But it's doable.

I'm weary of strange products now. One guy said he bent the S/S axles on the flanges, and killed a carrier bearing, on his new S60 purchased from Strange, with only 400rwhp or so. And yes it was an fbody. He posted on another forum.

I care a little because this rear cost me 5k total by the time i got it here where i am. And i won't stop modding this car until it does high 8's in the 1/4 and streetable. I thought a Dana 60 is good for it. But Strange isn't Dana Corporation. Had i read about these issues prior, i would of steered clear, and bought a fab9 housing from someone else, and not used Strange S/S axles. I think their 40 spl race axles have no issue being abused on the street or track, as people's experience with them, but Strange imply otherwise and scare people.

So now if i had to do a rear axle over again, it'd be another 5-7k for me for a fab 9 by the time it's a complete rear axle, i'll have spent over 10k on rear axles. LOL. Thankfully there's Dana 60s for $350-$500 from trucks that i can use the center and have my tubes or at least the mounts welded on if i have issues with my S60. But it'll need a custom torque arm mount also. So knock on wood i don't have to go that way.

There are parts you can expect to fail, like an engine, even though you hope it doesn't. But a rear axle can easily be strong enough the FIRST time around, to take the abuse and not fail.. you just have to know which parts. I'd happily use Strange 40 spl race axles, in a fab9 housing, if i had known what i know now. But i no longer trust their S/S axles, or their S60 with their unique carrier bearing adjusters, as they have failed on people with 400rwhp.

You get any Dana 60 from a junkyard out of any truck that was a good runner, it is NOT going to toast a carrier bearing with 400rwhp. Or even break or bend a factory axle at that power level. (if it was a dana60 from a 2wd with normal type not floater car style axles)

The 60ft capability of these cars combined with the LSx on race tires wants to kill rear axles. We're in the year 2017 now, where a cam-only ls1/2 in a gutted 3rd or 4th gen can run 9's and 60ft in the 1.3's, and anything more serious like big bore lsx or turbo lsx's dip into the 8s and even 7sec 1/4s and be street driven.

I don't know why i listened to Strange that their S/S axles are good for 1000hp street cars. But i did. Probably because a lot of other companies who make race parts don't make statements like that unless they somewhat hold true most of the time. But these S/S axles failing in these cars with 400rwhp something isn't right.
Yeah they can make the excuse that they weren't set up correctly which they were. They shouldn't of broke like that in a 440hp car plain and simple .I'm sure they survive in higher hp autos but a stick car with slicks it's a different story. I received Moser axles in just 2 days and have a warranty.
Old 08-12-2017 | 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah they can make the excuse that they weren't set up correctly which they were. They shouldn't of broke like that in a 440hp car plain and simple .I'm sure they survive in higher hp autos but a stick car with slicks it's a different story. I received Moser axles in just 2 days and have a warranty.
I don't think a 35 spline axle they should break so easy either behind that power even with an m6.

The Mosers look good man I hope they hold up for you. You should be using 5/8 wheel studs also if not already.

If you want to please keep us updated here how the Mosers work out if they hold up.

It would also be good if the incidents with Strange are isolated, and my S60 holds up for me as it is. I should have bought a proven fab9 housing with brace with the ability to just swap out centers if they break.

_______

Edit: I said one guy had problems with S60 carrier bearings up in my long winded post above, but it's been more than one. 2 guys mentioned on yellowbullet their S60's failed (carrier bearing) and another who also bent his axle flanges also killed a carrier bearing in his new S60 posted about it on another forum. These are not very high HP cars so it has made me wonder as to the design of the Strange S60.

The Dana 60 does not have adjusters at all for the carrier bearings and is machined by Dana Corporation.. a properly setup Dana 60 holds insane amounts of power.

Last edited by Launch; 08-16-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2017 | 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Need bigger, 33, 35 minimum for manual cars. Whoever specd you a 31 spline setup is a dummy.
I've been running 31 splines w/ a spool & slicks since 2012 with 0 problems. M6 car, makes 500whp. I believe the axle splines are stripped on the r. axle now so I'm probably gonna upgrade to 35 spline. Makes a terrible ratcheting noise in rear when the car hooks under wot. I'm sure that's whats wrong, more forgiving than ever on turns now.
Old 09-04-2017 | 11:03 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

1.4 60 ft with a stick car and I still have the s/s 31 Splines. At one time i had moser axles with a tru track and found one axle was to long and hitting in the diff. So it's totally possible it was hitting in the diff.
Old 03-12-2018 | 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

i bent 3 sets of 25 spline strange axles at the flange on 550rwhp with a 6 speed, cutting 1.5 sixtys. a hard grabbing clutch is just hard on axles period, big difference when a auto is infront of them.
Old 03-12-2018 | 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

that being said i have no problems with strange axles or mwc rear ends, i drove the hell out of my car and did extremly hard clutch dumps, my clutch did not slip. I just decided to go automatic like I planned to, im sure these axles will hold up under the 1200hp i plan to put to them
Old 05-31-2018 | 07:06 PM
Teching In

Breaking a 35 spline with 440rwhp is embarrassing, something is wrong here for sure.
Old 06-04-2018 | 04:14 AM
TECH Addict

Why not go with the 40 spline? what size carrier bearing are being used? I know you can get a 3rd member that will fit a 4" bearing...

http://www.darksidecreations.com/node/8

Quick Reply: Snapped strange axle in 2 Midwest chasing 9 inch