Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fbody 8.8 rear sway/ anti roll bar options for street/drag

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fbody 8.8 rear sway/ anti roll bar options for street/drag

I'm in the market for a anti roll bar. My car is a '99 WS6 6 speed that makes 400rwhp. Not much I know. I'm running 17x4.5 wheels up front and 15x10 with 275/60 ET Pro Radials on the back. It currently has adjustable panhard, lower arms, tunnel mount torque arm all from MWC. I built the 8.8 under it, explorer center housing, hiltsy mount, and stock 7.5 tubes. I have a aluminum diff girdle cover on it and the stock sway bar will no longer fit.

I know there are some like the MWC but not sure how streetable they are. I was looking at the UMI and BMR drag bars and they look like they may clear but I'm not sure. So if anybody is running a fbody 8.8 rear with bigger cover, what sway bar are you running?

I searched but didn't come up with much.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Our XSB001/XSB002 bars will clear any aftermarket rear end. The 8.8 center section is roughly the same size as the 12 bolt, which clears with no issues. It even fits with the S60 which is much larger. Our bar is very streetable as it does not mechanically lock out suspension movement and bind the way a lever arm style bar does. Also, the polyurethan attachment bushings keep the operation smooth and quiet. I have had people daily drive with this bar for years without issue

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...300&superpro=0

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

mechanically lock out suspension movement and bind the way a lever arm style bar does.
Something I once read from someone posted on this site before, do not believe everything you read on the Internet.

There is nothing to bind on a true ARB and they do the same basic thing as a swaybar modified to be a drag bar. The only difference in a true ARB is it does not allow side to side movement to make contact with the shocks and poly mounts that will disort way before the bar itself does it work.

The ARB main function is to reduce body roll, it can not do that however if it is allowed to move sideways or not stay true at it's mounting points. Every time you put force on a poly mount it distorts. If it distorts your preload changes reducing the function of the ARB. Our ARB does not have these problems due to its design and mounting style. This is why it is very important that if you do not have our fabricated nine inch we need to know the mounting width. All manufactures put the sway bar brackets in different locations.

So to answer your question people have driven with a true ARB on the street for years. I've had the same one on my car for 11 years and the others sales person had his on and daily driven vehicle and still on his current mid 8 second vehicle. You have to be sensible when driving with one and not take off camber driveways as you may extend it past its limit as one side will be pushed up and due to the link the other side will be trying to hold the rear end up. However that should be true with a modified swaybar as its "supposed to" limit body roll also.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

i'm running the TRZ on mine, sees some street use, works great!
Old 10-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong thread

Quick Reply: Fbody 8.8 rear sway/ anti roll bar options for street/drag