Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Project Nova - The quest for 1000hp VS s480 l33 347

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Got some work done last night, little exhaust fitting, from this point on I'm going to reduce to aluminum 4" pipe, dumped at the back axle. No muffler for now. The 5" fit a lot better than I thought it would.

also got my feed for the fuel plumbed all the way up to the front 10an
Old 08-19-2017, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwarta
Awrsome man! Congrats on making so much progress! I too hardly have any rad support left lol.

Here is a demo for the pulse leash. The box I have is both the Boost leash, which is the boost controller, and the pulse leash which is a bump box. Combo unit. This is my first time getting this sophisticated so I can't offer much input yet haha.

Do you not plan on running an intercooler?
The intercooler i am planning so far was an water to air... but its more piping etc and ive read that running E85 almost does as good a job so since my car is a track car (thats another story starting to play its role... argh!) i wouldnt really care buying my fuel in a drum to save some trouble. If i can easily have 2 tunes or more it would be awesome, one on E, one w/o boost (N/A for when my girl drives) and one on intercooler and E85 etc etc....Anyway, its all pretty much in the air.... Possibilities!!!!

Last night i found something thats gonna help BIG TIME with turbo placement! Seriously, i would have liked to be the one who tought about this.... its gonna be perfect and i might just go back (again!) to drawing board on the rad support and make it all tube...

I dont know if you have seen these??

http://www.burnout2turnout.com/produ...bo-components/

Open the pages (click each image/ size of mount) as there are different picture of applications!! Its really a Super idea!!!

Ill be able to put the turbo right in the grille AND support it at same time!!!

Lead.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

On the Cal tracks, do they come with a new shock plate? I just narrowed a 9" for my 74, made it 3/4" shorter each side, so the shocks need to move inboard.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hellsx
The intercooler i am planning so far was an water to air... but its more piping etc and ive read that running E85 almost does as good a job so since my car is a track car (thats another story starting to play its role... argh!) i wouldnt really care buying my fuel in a drum to save some trouble. If i can easily have 2 tunes or more it would be awesome, one on E, one w/o boost (N/A for when my girl drives) and one on intercooler and E85 etc etc....Anyway, its all pretty much in the air.... Possibilities!!!!

Last night i found something thats gonna help BIG TIME with turbo placement! Seriously, i would have liked to be the one who tought about this.... its gonna be perfect and i might just go back (again!) to drawing board on the rad support and make it all tube...

I dont know if you have seen these??

http://www.burnout2turnout.com/produ...bo-components/

Open the pages (click each image/ size of mount) as there are different picture of applications!! Its really a Super idea!!!

Ill be able to put the turbo right in the grille AND support it at same time!!!

Lead.
That's interesting, I've never seen those before!

Originally Posted by forcd ind
On the Cal tracks, do they come with a new shock plate? I just narrowed a 9" for my 74, made it 3/4" shorter each side, so the shocks need to move inboard.
Yes they do, the caltracsount to the shock plate. You can flip the shock plates inboard or out, mine are inboard.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

That's interesting, I've never seen those before!

Sure is,,, with this, you can bend any bar you want and put it anywhere you like on it (where it fits), and either HANG the snail completely off of it, or even better, SUPPORT its weight from under it!! (Thinking 1 inch by 1/4" tube or so)

It makes for a super sano job is what im thinking!!

I have a few new ideas i need to play with.

I did tey mine almost like you have yours last night but i was afraid the tire might get it and whack it off from a wheelie, (maybe mounted a tad more outside than yours) and if more inside, its my darn Up/Fwd headers that become hard to plumb.(my pass side rams right in the turbo!!). Im gonna have to try em harder in the DOWN set up or yep...make a bar!!

Would deff like to see how you mounted yours for inspiration,

Sorry for all the posting, guess im a bit too "into it" this week as our projects are a bit at same progress so im feeling pumped reading your project. .allright...Ill try and keep quiet now!! LOL!!

Thanks man,

Lead.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sure is,,, with this, you can bend any bar you want and put it anywhere you like on it (where it fits), and either HANG the snail completely off of it, or even better, SUPPORT its weight from under it!! (Thinking 1 inch by 1/4" tube or so)

It makes for a super sano job is what im thinking!!

I have a few new ideas i need to play with.

I did tey mine almost like you have yours last night but i was afraid the tire might get it and whack it off from a wheelie, (maybe mounted a tad more outside than yours) and if more inside, its my darn Up/Fwd headers that become hard to plumb.(my pass side rams right in the turbo!!). Im gonna have to try em harder in the DOWN set up or yep...make a bar!!

Would deff like to see how you mounted yours for inspiration,

Sorry for all the posting, guess im a bit too "into it" this week as our projects are a bit at same progress so im feeling pumped reading your project. .allright...Ill try and keep quiet now!! LOL!!

Thanks man,

Lead.

You aren't bothering me any! I enjoy discussing our projects, so feel free to post away! I was concerned as well about the tire hitting it when coming down from a wheelie. It was a nightmare trying to mock it up, by myself. How the hell donyou get that heavy bastard to float where you want it to be at so you can build your hotside! Finally got it, I have about 3" of clearance from hitting the tire luckily, so that won't be an issue. I swear I spent more time trying to find a spot to mount the damn fuel pressure regulator, then I did anything. Damn nhra rules!
I haven't built my support yet, that part is coming.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

You aren't bothering me any! I enjoy discussing our projects, so feel free to post away! I was concerned as well about the tire hitting it when coming down from a wheelie. It was a nightmare trying to mock it up, by myself. How the hell donyou get that heavy bastard to float where you want it to be at so you can build your hotside! Finally got it, I have about 3" of clearance from hitting the tire luckily, so that won't be an issue. I swear I spent more time trying to find a spot to mount the damn fuel pressure regulator, then I did anything. Damn nhra rules!
I haven't built my support yet, that part is coming.
Ahhh, ok! I tought it was done and taken care of, sure looked like it!! My bad!! Yeah im with you, they sure are a "little" heavy to have and play at arms lenght especially when you have the rad support, grille and or fenders in the way to get measurements or only to"check" an idea you just had!!! I finally put the snail on the engine Hoist!! Id heard about it, tought it might be overkill and not needed .... but it turned out to be quite a good bit of help!! Easy to lift or lower where i wanted it to sit etc. And for once that big piece of shop floor taking equipment serves something else than swinging motors in and out of cars!!! Might as well use it!!

Ahhh, ok! I tought it was done and taken care of, My bad! Yeah they sure are a "little" heavy to have and play at arms lenght especially when you have the rad support, grille and or femders in the way to getreal measurements!! I finally put the snail on the Hoist!! Id heard about it, tought it might be overkill.... but it turned out to be quite a good bit of help!! Easy to lift or lower where i wanted it to sit etc.

Gonna play with placement today again, keeping the tube support in mind and see where i end up. I have another browser page already opened and ready to order one of Maven's mounts!!

...and thanks for receiving all my comments too...its cool. Lets get those baby's full of power!!

Lead.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh, ok! I tought it was done and taken care of, sure looked like it!! My bad!! Yeah im with you, they sure are a "little" heavy to have and play at arms lenght especially when you have the rad support, grille and or fenders in the way to get measurements or only to"check" an idea you just had!!! I finally put the snail on the engine Hoist!! Id heard about it, tought it might be overkill and not needed .... but it turned out to be quite a good bit of help!! Easy to lift or lower where i wanted it to sit etc. And for once that big piece of shop floor taking equipment serves something else than swinging motors in and out of cars!!! Might as well use it!!

Ahhh, ok! I tought it was done and taken care of, My bad! Yeah they sure are a "little" heavy to have and play at arms lenght especially when you have the rad support, grille and or femders in the way to getreal measurements!! I finally put the snail on the Hoist!! Id heard about it, tought it might be overkill.... but it turned out to be quite a good bit of help!! Easy to lift or lower where i wanted it to sit etc.

Gonna play with placement today again, keeping the tube support in mind and see where i end up. I have another browser page already opened and ready to order one of Maven's mounts!!

...and thanks for receiving all my comments too...its cool. Lets get those baby's full of power!!

Lead.

That crossed my mind as well! Unfortunately I don't have a garage, or a spec of concrete on the place. Moving an engine hoist around in the dirt by yourself requires a lot of use of a pry bar, and the risk of tipping it over. I have a 1960's Massey Harris 44 tractor that I use for removing engines etc haha. I have tons of tooling, mig and tig,aluminum tig, plasma, powdercoater, sandblater, etc etc. I currently use an old semi trailer as my "shop" haha.

I'm a bit pissed off today. I built my 9" rear and had the axles made using a stock war case and a cheapo ebay $50 spool years ago with Currie axles. Well, I knew the stock case wasn't going to handle the abuse so I bought the aluminum case and a chromoly spool. Evidently, the spools have two diffent depths for axle spline engagement. My driver side axle goes in all the way to the last 1/8 inch the. Bottoms out the splines on the spool. Not sure what to do here. Think I may have 1/4 of splines removed from the end of the spool to fix it.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

That crossed my mind as well! Unfortunately I don't have a garage, or a spec of concrete on the place. Moving an engine hoist around in the dirt by yourself requires a lot of use of a pry bar, and the risk of tipping it over. I have a 1960's Massey Harris 44 tractor that I use for removing engines etc haha. I have tons of tooling, mig and tig,aluminum tig, plasma, powdercoater, sandblater, etc etc. I currently use an old semi trailer as my "shop" haha.

I'm a bit pissed off today. I built my 9" rear and had the axles made using a stock war case and a cheapo ebay $50 spool years ago with Currie axles. Well, I knew the stock case wasn't going to handle the abuse so I bought the aluminum case and a chromoly spool. Evidently, the spools have two diffent depths for axle spline engagement. My driver side axle goes in all the way to the last 1/8 inch the. Bottoms out the splines on the spool. Not sure what to do here. Think I may have 1/4 of splines removed from the end of the spool to fix it.

Wow.... you have serious dedication working on a project like this outside in the grass and all!! I dont think id have a race car w/o a shop.... too many chances of stuff dissapearing during night and **** like that... i do like your trailer idea tough!! That sounds super cool!! Much less uncool is the Axle/spool troubles you just found. Yeah, thats the kinda stuff that slows us down and takes the positivsm out with it usually (for me at least) As, just when you think ".YESSS!!! Ive got this mf'er down!!" "Err..." says the little voice in the vpback of your head..... well, actually not quite totally there kiddo. ARGH!!!!

My last one isnt too far back either. It was as i just finished all my brake install last week. Everything was DONE! Finally!! Perfect too, every line bent to how i wanted, everything really finished. I had my roller back! Then i purge the Master on the bench... it gives me a bit of a hard time... i end up tired of seeing those "little" bubbles not stopping to show up at the very end of every stroke so i figure, after an hour of pumping, "it must be all there is to it". So i decide to put it in, hey, thats all its missing to be DONE. So i put it in the car, admire the work... open the valve of furthest caliper, try to pump some fluid in after a no go from gravity some time later... nothing still. Long story short, i end up on the net looking for an idea, maybe something i overlooked... Pfff, yeah, sure, of course! Turns out the MC i had bought like almost a year ago to the day, is part of a WILWOOD's recall on their 7/8 inch bore master!! It wont pump correctly and is a danger to operate!!! You could end up missing brakes!! So its off the car, back to speed shop, getting a new one sent in and it should be here Wednesday.... (insert crying emoji).

Ahhh, what can i say! Its like that all the time.... 'always something aint it!!?? Part of the beast's nature i guess! Also, its right about that moment when my wife will drop in amd saysomething like; "i dont know what it is you like about building those cars, to me it seems like a problem after another".... yeah, thanks honey!! Exactly what i needed!! But what can i say, i DO like the challenge AND the satisfaction that comes from fixing everything it can throw at me, sometimes not the timing it chooses, but still. So i guess those "problems" aren't as bad as they sound.... so, get it fixed and post it up!!!

Lead.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Amen! Today I bust out the tig, weld a small bracket to my aluminum Y for my fuel line so I can mount it. Get that done, get out the hole saws and cut a hole in my IC pipe to weld on my BOV flange. Cut the hole and my damn argon runs out! Damn it! Then, I start to wrap my exhaust and run out. Go figure.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Amen! Today I bust out the tig, weld a small bracket to my aluminum Y for my fuel line so I can mount it. Get that done, get out the hole saws and cut a hole in my IC pipe to weld on my BOV flange. Cut the hole and my damn argon runs out! Damn it! Then, I start to wrap my exhaust and run out. Go figure.
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 08-20-2017, 06:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't remember if I asked this before, what intercooler is that?
Old 08-20-2017, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup you did haha. It's a spearco/turbonetics 4.5" thick. I looked and cannot find a part number for you. I could take measurements if you would like
Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'm more curious what it ran $ wise, and what power level it's rated for.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds alot like my build. I have my truck in the dirt. But I don't have a powder coater or weldeds haha. I need to pull the 60e out and put an 80e in. But I don't have a tractor haha. My 80e weighs a ton. Sounds like we have the same luck too. When one of my vehicles dies, they all die. I started wrapping my headers and didn't have enough. I had to order more on Amazon.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I traded a set of tires I paid $100 for the intercooler. Not sure on the hp rating but I would think it's up there, 1000+?

And yea go figure, if it can go wrong, it will. Such is life I suppose lol
Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Nice trade!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha thanks! I was pretty pleased with it myself. The guy said it was close to $2000 new
Old 08-21-2017, 06:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Looks like a good one, I'm hearing a custom one for my '67 will be $900-1100.

Quick Reply: Project Nova - The quest for 1000hp VS s480 l33 347