Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02' Mustang V6 to LS "sporty Daily"

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Build on the GS?

Hey, did you do a write up on the '68 GS? Looking to swap my BBB/TH400 '69 GS California to a 6.0 or 6.2 w/4L60E. Thought I remembered this car on the V8Buick site from a few years back.

Jim
Old 06-20-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gsjimmy
Hey, did you do a write up on the '68 GS? Looking to swap my BBB/TH400 '69 GS California to a 6.0 or 6.2 w/4L60E. Thought I remembered this car on the V8Buick site from a few years back.

Jim
hey mine is a 350 bored over GS no i didnt do a swap i thought about it but decided to stay oldschool with new gimmigs...
i ll twin turbo my 370. And will EFI it.
instead of going LS.

but yes theres a write up on the V8 buick page.. Called my 68 GS california.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thought I remembered that car. I'm going LS on my '69 w/OD trans. Blew up the 4 speed Muncie with the BBB. The TH400 I replaced it with just isn't the same driving experience.

Jim
Old 08-14-2017, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

• Havent done aything on the mustang, work life and my other project keeps me busy.
    So my wife cleared a lil budget to get the Rims i ll be using on it once it comes together lol.

18x11 in the back
    18x 9.5 in the front
    They where on a summer sale deal!!

next is
    dirty dingo engine mounts
    coilover suspension
    rear control arms.

tgen i can drop the motor in at least and pull it in the garage before the winter...
    ​​​​
    then i can do some bodywork and hopefully get the engine and system running.

can anybody recommend a top mounr AC conversion bracket?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Default life..

It's funny how life can slow projects like this down. I finally pulled my v6 from my mustang a little over a month ago. I get maybe 6-8 hrs a week to actually work on it so its going slow. Lq4/4l80e with a ebay gt45. Bone stock aside from 243 heads to replace the iron beasts! Man those were heavy. I used factory 4.6gt motor mounts with a home made adapter plate similar to UPR ones. The oil pan did hit the crossmember a bit on one side. Anyone else ever had this problem? In my efforts to continue to be cheap is just pounded it in to clear it. It is a ls1 Camaro pan too. I have a few pics but no idea how to post them! haha
Old 08-31-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SwapStang
It's funny how life can slow projects like this down. I finally pulled my v6 from my mustang a little over a month ago. I get maybe 6-8 hrs a week to actually work on it so its going slow. Lq4/4l80e with a ebay gt45. Bone stock aside from 243 heads to replace the iron beasts! Man those were heavy. I used factory 4.6gt motor mounts with a home made adapter plate similar to UPR ones. The oil pan did hit the crossmember a bit on one side. Anyone else ever had this problem? In my efforts to continue to be cheap is just pounded it in to clear it. It is a ls1 Camaro pan too. I have a few pics but no idea how to post them! haha
would be great to see pics.
especially of the mounts
i know dirty dingo does matching mounts, but i was wondering if i can take cheaper sbc/bbc swap mounts (30$) and make them fit/ drill the necessary holes?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sebambam
would be great to see pics.
especially of the mounts
i know dirty dingo does matching mounts, but i was wondering if i can take cheaper sbc/bbc swap mounts (30$) and make them fit/ drill the necessary holes?

I looked at the UPR ones and couldn't believe what they were. It was literally a stock 4.6 mount with two front holes elongated and a plate to grab the rear bolt hole. Just google UPR ls swap mounts and you'll see them. I said to myself "I can make that". I had a set of 4.6 mounts laying around so I drilled and cut and boom. Mounts. However like I said I do have the crossmember issue which is why you really can't beat a tubular. I just couldn't justify the money. I'll look around for some pics of what I made for mounts.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

• Havent done aything on the mustang, work life and my other project keeps me busy.
    So my wife cleared a lil budget to get the Rims i ll be using on it once it comes together lol.

18x11 in the back
    18x 9.5 in the front
    They where on a summer sale deal!!

next is
    dirty dingo engine mounts
    coilover suspension
    rear control arms.

tgen i can drop the motor in at least and pull it in the garage before the winter...
    ​​​​
    then i can do some bodywork and hopefully get the engine and system running.

can anybody recommend a top mounr AC conversion bracket?

What brand, and how much for the rims? I like those.

Stampede.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
What brand, and how much for the rims? I like those.

Stampede.
xxr531
company is nl motoring or somethong they on sale and. Dirt cheap (150 rpund about)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I looked at the UPR ones and couldn't believe what they were. It was literally a stock 4.6 mount with two front holes elongated and a plate to grab the rear bolt hole. Just google UPR ls swap mounts and you'll see them. I said to myself "I can make that". I had a set of 4.6 mounts laying around so I drilled and cut and boom. Mounts. However like I said I do have the crossmember issue which is why you really can't beat a tubular. I just couldn't justify the money. I'll look around for some pics of what I made for mounts.
lol i see i got a ls swap to 99-04 mustamg oil pan on it already so it should clear with stock k member.
dirty dingo has mounts and they supposed to work with stock k. Plus they adjustanble but the 100$ more than upr.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

The problem with my clearance (before I bashed in the K-member) was that the motor need to go back father than any adapter plate will allow (as far as I've seen). Plus the motor is already pretty far back to the firewall. However the really good thing about this location is that it is pretty low and the 4l80e went in like butter. I bashed in the tunnel a bit but I really didn't even have to. The original mounts that came off the car I just relocated back with the original crossmember redrilled. Worked out better than I expected. I hope your oil pan clears better than mine I'd just feel bad if you spent the money on those brackets and you ended up in the same boat I did. I read NOTHING about anyone's oil pan hitting the k member but every build is different, so who really knows. Plus not too many people use a stock K. In hindsight I see why the tubulars are so damn easy and convenient.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

The problem with my clearance (before I bashed in the K-member) was that the motor need to go back father than any adapter plate will allow (as far as I've seen). Plus the motor is already pretty far back to the firewall. However the really good thing about this location is that it is pretty low and the 4l80e went in like butter. I bashed in the tunnel a bit but I really didn't even have to. The original mounts that came off the car I just relocated back with the original crossmember redrilled. Worked out better than I expected. I hope your oil pan clears better than mine I'd just feel bad if you spent the money on those brackets and you ended up in the same boat I did. I read NOTHING about anyone's oil pan hitting the k member but every build is different, so who really knows. Plus not too many people use a stock K. In hindsight I see why the tubulars are so damn easy and convenient.
yes i was thinking about aje kmember as well, but then i have to extend the Steering shaft, control arms etc. My build is abudget build, which doesnt mean it cant be done the right way. Thats why i use the stock kmember
Old 08-31-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

yes i was thinking about aje kmember as well, but then i have to extend the Steering shaft, control arms etc. My build is abudget build, which doesnt mean it cant be done the right way. Thats why i use the stock kmember

I started looking them up once I had the clearance issue. It just added up so quick it was crazy. The K-member wasn't bad. Its the control arms, spring perches blah blah blah and yah I'm on a budget too so I just couldn't. If you are a decent welder you can notch the crossmember and weld it up. IF you have issues that is. You should drop the motor in and see what your dealing with imo. Either way I hope some of my rambling was helpful.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I started looking them up once I had the clearance issue. It just added up so quick it was crazy. The K-member wasn't bad. Its the control arms, spring perches blah blah blah and yah I'm on a budget too so I just couldn't. If you are a decent welder you can notch the crossmember and weld it up. IF you have issues that is. You should drop the motor in and see what your dealing with imo. Either way I hope some of my rambling was helpful.
it is very helpful. Btw what shifter did you use to maintain the mustang shift console?
what are you doing regarding the gauges?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

it is very helpful. Btw what shifter did you use to maintain the mustang shift console?
what are you doing regarding the gauges?

Mine was originally an auto so I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the original shifter and modify the end of the ford cable for the 4l80e. I haven't gotten to the gauges yet I'm really torn. I want to keep those gauges but it seems the easiest way is to find a set from a pre 99. I'm still looking into keeping ford sensors and just feeding it what it needs. I still have my V6, the harness and all the sensors so its just a matter of figuring it out if that's the route I take. I was going straight sloppy mechanics style and pretty much just using what I have around and slamming it together haha
Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was originally an auto so I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the original shifter and modify the end of the ford cable for the 4l80e. I haven't gotten to the gauges yet I'm really torn. I want to keep those gauges but it seems the easiest way is to find a set from a pre 99. I'm still looking into keeping ford sensors and just feeding it what it needs. I still have my V6, the harness and all the sensors so its just a matter of figuring it out if that's the route I take. I was going straight sloppy mechanics style and pretty much just using what I have around and slamming it together haha
ok please take pics of what you did to the shifter mine was a v6 auto too.
i keep the gauges as well i feel like somwhow there will be a conversion kit available 1 day, until then i might just do a 7" tablet with obd2 app and connect that.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I like those rims, reminds me of CCWs.

Stampede.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
I like those rims, reminds me of CCWs.

Stampede.
yea they basicly knockoffs.. I got them on my 68 a body (pro touring) as well.. I love the mesh design
plus heres a mustang with this rims
Old 09-01-2017, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digging those rims!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had many different ideas recently
which as always are changes of the initial build plan...lol
question..
how intense would be a manual trans. What options do i have besides a t56?
remember my car is a automatic setup and i got a 4l80e already.
i expect the motor to be somewhere round 360-390 hp depending on the tune and im sure thats good power for a NA mustang.
further the rear end and brakes dont handle much more than 400hp and i really dont want to update thoose.lol

what you suggest?

Quick Reply: 02' Mustang V6 to LS "sporty Daily"