Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone reuse molded pump to case seal? + gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017 | 04:17 PM
Banned

Default Anyone reuse molded pump to case seal? + gasket question

I've built quite a few 4L60E's. I'm getting ready to build another one and this is the first time I've come across a metal clad/molded type pump to case seal.

I'm only considering reusing it because I have an older trans that takes the square cut o-ring and a rebuild kit for that style pump. But I'd rather use the newer trans and I don't have time to get the newer seal, plus I have a feeling I'd mess up on the first one. Reusing it would be nice, I've reused the old style before. Anyone reused one of these?

The other question I have is about the pump gasket. The Trans-Tec kits I've been using always come with two gaskets, but every trans I've built in the past several years has used the one on the left in the picture. So I have a bunch of the other ones left over, the only difference is the part shown in the close up, this part seems to go in front of the vent to maybe direct fluid from coming out?
Anyone know if these interchange?

Thanks.

The pump to case seal.

Pump gaskets, left seems to be '98- up?

Main difference between the two gaskets.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 12-22-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2017 | 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can reuse the pump to case seal if it has no nicks in the rubber. But, You must remove it from the case BEFORE reinstalling the pump.

The pump to case gasket without the flap is for 82-86 700R4's, NO 4L60E takes that gasket.

Last edited by clinebarger; 12-13-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2017 | 08:33 PM
Banned

Thanks, So that seal goes in after the the pump is installed? That doesn't sound good. Is it hard to get them in properly without leaking?
I do have an older core I might use, I really need to get this right the first time.
Old 12-13-2017 | 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

They usually come right out with your finger nails after the pump is pulled. Goes back in easy after the pump is torqued, The bellhousing retains & applies pressure to the seal. I have reused them in the past with 100% success.

It's ideal to replace the seal, A GM dealer is a alternative for obtaining one.
Old 12-13-2017 | 09:21 PM
Banned

Could probably find one by the weekend. Between work. Usually the small shops sell stuff as well as the dealer.
Thanks for the information.

Quick Reply: Anyone reuse molded pump to case seal? + gasket question